Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Cap isnt the issue, its the contract transfers between trade deadline & playoffs. You're only allowed to call up 4 players on non-emergency basis & we've apparently already used up 3 of the 4 because of great management by MB. So if we replace say, Staal with CC then thats it you cant call anyone (say evans or frolik) back from the taxi squad. 

That seems to be explained a little better, so, what do they do with Gustaffson & the other defenceman that they acquired? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, electron58 said:

That seems to be explained a little better, so, what do they do with Gustaffson & the other defenceman that they acquired? 

In a normal year the CBA is complicated but this year, with the taxi squad its even worse because they added in 2 things after the trade deadline (until the playoffs start) 

1) If you were one of the 23 players on an NHL roster at noon on Monday, you cannot be sent down to the AHL for the balance of the season.

2) Per CBA guidelines, only four call-ups are allowed for the balance of the season — from the AHL, ECHL, or even the taxi squad — for non-injury related purposes. There are special emergency exceptions allowed if enough healthy players aren’t available. 

I know that both Merrell and Gustaffson are available so I assume that is because they werent call ups - they were already on an NHL roster. I know we have used up 3 of our 4 call ups but I cant find a list of who those 3 were (I dont think it was the newly acquired guys but maybe it was? perhaps someone can find the list). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

In a normal year the CBA is complicated but this year, with the taxi squad its even worse because they added in 2 things after the trade deadline (until the playoffs start) 

1) If you were one of the 23 players on an NHL roster at noon on Monday, you cannot be sent down to the AHL for the balance of the season.

2) Per CBA guidelines, only four call-ups are allowed for the balance of the season — from the AHL, ECHL, or even the taxi squad — for non-injury related purposes. There are special emergency exceptions allowed if enough healthy players aren’t available. 

I know that both Merrell and Gustaffson are available so I assume that is because they werent call ups - they were already on an NHL roster. I know we have used up 3 of our 4 call ups but I cant find a list of who those 3 were (I dont think it was the newly acquired guys but maybe it was? perhaps someone can find the list). 

Very well explained,  maas_art. Thanks for that. As you said, it is fairly complicated and one is never really sure what the rules are. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maas_art said:

In a normal year the CBA is complicated but this year, with the taxi squad its even worse because they added in 2 things after the trade deadline (until the playoffs start) 

1) If you were one of the 23 players on an NHL roster at noon on Monday, you cannot be sent down to the AHL for the balance of the season.

2) Per CBA guidelines, only four call-ups are allowed for the balance of the season — from the AHL, ECHL, or even the taxi squad — for non-injury related purposes. There are special emergency exceptions allowed if enough healthy players aren’t available. 

I know that both Merrell and Gustaffson are available so I assume that is because they werent call ups - they were already on an NHL roster. I know we have used up 3 of our 4 call ups but I cant find a list of who those 3 were (I dont think it was the newly acquired guys but maybe it was? perhaps someone can find the list). 

The three call ups were

Primeau

Ouellette

Leskinen 

I believe

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

The three call ups were

Primeau

Ouellette

Leskinen 

I believe

Ouellet and Leskinen were two, I believe, but I thought Primeau was always here as an emergency call-up for Price's injuries, so he didn't count against the regular call-up limit. I believe the 3rd was actually Paul Byron, who was sent down again and recalled on deadline day to save some cap space. Ultimately, MB has done a horrible job of managing his cap this year. Spent way too much money on depth D men playing the same role, is spending a very high percentage of his cap on goaltending, wasted roster and cap space on the likes of Staal and Merrill (who ultimately don't seem to have given us an upgrade on anything we already have), and wasted his call-ups on guys like Ouellet and Leskinen and Byron, leaving him no room to call up Caufield, Poehling, Ylonen, Brook, Fleury, or other younger players who could legitimately help.

I will say that I don't understand the purpose of the taxi squad though, if taking guys from the taxi squad compromises your 4-person limit. They're not really available to play for you then, they're just minor leaguers who aren't playing games in the minors for no reason (because there's no quarantine required if you get recalled from the minors anyways). Dumb rules. Bad cap management. Here we are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, maas_art said:

In a normal year the CBA is complicated but this year, with the taxi squad its even worse because they added in 2 things after the trade deadline (until the playoffs start) 

1) If you were one of the 23 players on an NHL roster at noon on Monday, you cannot be sent down to the AHL for the balance of the season.

2) Per CBA guidelines, only four call-ups are allowed for the balance of the season — from the AHL, ECHL, or even the taxi squad — for non-injury related purposes. There are special emergency exceptions allowed if enough healthy players aren’t available. 

I know that both Merrell and Gustaffson are available so I assume that is because they werent call ups - they were already on an NHL roster. I know we have used up 3 of our 4 call ups but I cant find a list of who those 3 were (I dont think it was the newly acquired guys but maybe it was? perhaps someone can find the list). 

Since the Habs have only 22 players on the roster couldn't CC be called up to fill that 23rd spot without penalty if they have the cap space?

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, Ducharme confirmed today that

1. Price is in concussion protocol and will be out for at least a week.

2. The injury was suffered when Alex Chiasson walked into the blue paint and snapped his head back with a direct blow to the chin, once again with no penalty.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Ducharme confirmed today that

1. Price is in concussion protocol and will be out for at least a week.

2. The injury was suffered when Alex Chiasson walked into the blue paint and snapped his head back with a direct blow to the chin, once again with no penalty.

 

Yeah.  It'll be more than a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Ducharme confirmed today that

1. Price is in concussion protocol and will be out for at least a week.

2. The injury was suffered when Alex Chiasson walked into the blue paint and snapped his head back with a direct blow to the chin, once again with no penalty.

 

The Habs should change their logo from this: Logo-Montreal-Canadiens-1.jpg

To this:Target_Corporation_logo_(vector).svg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 5:49 PM, HabsAlways said:

The three call ups were

Primeau

Ouellette

Leskinen 

I believe

Of these four call ups that are allowed, the Canadiens have already used three. They put Alexander Romanov and Paul Byron on the taxi squad on the day of the trade deadline and immediately called them back up afterwards. This helped save a little bit of cap space to free up enough room to add Jon Merrill and Erik Gustafsson before the deadline passed.

However, the Canadiens lost Victor Mete on waivers that day, and weren’t eligible to use either Merrill or Gustafsson as they had to quarantine for a week before joining the team.

So, they had to call up Xavier Ouellet to play April 12th against the Toronto Maple Leafs. That means, shortly after the deadline passed, the Habs had called up Romanov, Byron and Ouellet. That is three of the four recalls they are allowed to make between deadline day and the end of the regular season.

That means, the Canadiens can only call up one more player for the rest of the season.

Now, there are a few exceptions. If a team doesn’t have enough healthy players, they can use an “emergency recall” which is what they did for Cayden Primeau. With Carey Price injured, Primeau will remain on the NHL roster as an emergency recall and not count as a regular call up.

However, if the Canadiens were to insert Caufield into the lineup, they wouldn’t be allowed to recall Jake Evans for the rest of the season, unless injuries pile up. They also couldn’t recall Michael Frolik or anyone else from the taxi squad for that matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I think Primeau was sent back to Laval and CL was put on the taxi squad

Don't you have to have a goalie on the taxi squad? I thought Primeau was the back up tonight.  Also,  looks like McNiven started and won for Laval tonight. Demchenko backup.

Edited by electron58
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Don't you have to have a goalie on the taxi squad? I thought Primeau was the back up tonight.  Also,  looks like McNiven started and won for Laval tonight. Demchenko backup.

They flew in CL by special charter prior to tonight's game 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...