Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

Ok so no action being taken on the latest head shot to one of our players. I have seen a lot of stuff that the refs are letting slide against us and we seem to get called for pretty much any minor infraction! I don't recall our team doing any head hunting so far this season....if the league is not going to police this type of play we will have to self police it. we can't have our talent getting it's bell rung with no penalty or suspension because it will get worse if we allow open season, who is next Suzuki Price? enough is enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Ok so no action being taken on the latest head shot to one of our players. I have seen a lot of stuff that the refs are letting slide against us and we seem to get called for pretty much any minor infraction! I don't recall our team doing any head hunting so far this season....if the league is not going to police this type of play we will have to self police it. we can't have our talent getting it's bell rung with no penalty or suspension because it will get worse if we allow open season, who is next Suzuki Price? enough is enough.

Exactly send Perry after Hughes and Petterson. Then send Edmundson after Gaudreau next time we play the Flames.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Ok so no action being taken on the latest head shot to one of our players. I have seen a lot of stuff that the refs are letting slide against us and we seem to get called for pretty much any minor infraction! I don't recall our team doing any head hunting so far this season....if the league is not going to police this type of play we will have to self police it. we can't have our talent getting it's bell rung with no penalty or suspension because it will get worse if we allow open season, who is next Suzuki Price? enough is enough.

Maybe it's just me, but this seems to be a yearly thing. What if KK starts getting headaches? Then we're down another man.  Even in the playoffs against the Flyers, BG gets pile driven into the boards. It does take the joy out of watching, because feelings of frustration and anger are taking over. Parros was a washed up slug when he came to the Habs and got the scrap kicked out of him every time he fought.  We have to stop taking in old washed up players that can't play anymore. And no, I'm happy with our current roster, although if the opportunity came up for an upgrade, I'd do it if the price i right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally disappointed by the reffing for sure, but more importantly I am more disappointed by the reaction of our team.  JK get his head taken off and the Calgary player gets a little face wash?? Are you kidding me???  Webber, Chariot some other veteran should have filled him.  Soo disappointing

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Totally disappointed by the reffing for sure, but more importantly I am more disappointed by the reaction of our team.  JK get his head taken off and the Calgary player gets a little face wash?? Are you kidding me???  Webber, Chariot some other veteran should have filled him.  Soo disappointing

Weber the man mountain has become an ant hill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Weber the man mountain has become an ant hill.

There is a time to take action and being down 1-0 in a tight game may not be the time to trade Weber for Dube for at least 5 minutes. We play them again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

There is a time to take action and being down 1-0 in a tight game may not be the time to trade Weber for Dube for at least 5 minutes. We play them again.

Ah, a voice of reason.

We should have been on a 5 minute advantage & taken control of the game that way but alas, no.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

There is a time to take action and being down 1-0 in a tight game may not be the time to trade Weber for Dube for at least 5 minutes. We play them again.

So when do you take action? the 3rd headshot? The 4th? Someone needed to take action and no one did. Not even the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

So when do you take action? the 3rd headshot? The 4th? Someone needed to take action and no one did. Not even the league.

We're certainly getting the short end of the discipline stick from the League. It's open season on head shots if your wearing a Hab jersey,,, seems to be the message. Myers at least paid the piper the next game. I expect Dube to get the same treatment next time we face them. Disgusting in my books. Parros needs to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern is that bottom feeders like Ottawa are gonna start taking cheap shots at our guys. I keep imagining one of the Tkachuk brothers just doing something sketchy and injuring someone on our team. And then, yeah, sure, maybe he gets suspended 1-2 games... But we might end up losing another player for an extended period of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a hockey fan for years now but can anyone explain to me why Romanov got a rough penalty last night after hitting Chabot??  Paul dropped his gloves and tackled Romanov who did nothing, didn't even take his gloves off.  Even the commentator said Romanov got 2 min for what?  Hugging?  The reffing in the Canadian division as a whole is leaving me entirely speechless, it is soo obviously biased that it makes watching the games sickening anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

34 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Been a hockey fan for years now but can anyone explain to me why Romanov got a rough penalty last night after hitting Chabot??  Paul dropped his gloves and tackled Romanov who did nothing, didn't even take his gloves off.  Even the commentator said Romanov got 2 min for what?  Hugging?  The reffing in the Canadian division as a whole is leaving me entirely speechless, it is soo obviously biased that it makes watching the games sickening anymore

Check game sheet & video, Romanov was not penalized, I heard the commentator state that he was  while I was watching Romanov on the ice playing.........I guess it was one of those advanced stats things where he was theoretically penalized like you get credit for creating scoring chances that don't result in diddley squat.......sarcasm at its' worst.

I think Evans got the penalty

Edited by RCAF48
addition
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Been a hockey fan for years now but can anyone explain to me why Romanov got a rough penalty last night after hitting Chabot??  Paul dropped his gloves and tackled Romanov who did nothing, didn't even take his gloves off.  Even the commentator said Romanov got 2 min for what?  Hugging?  The reffing in the Canadian division as a whole is leaving me entirely speechless, it is soo obviously biased that it makes watching the games sickening anymore

Yeah as mentioned above Romanov didnt get a penalty. 

That said, the reffing has been bad - quite bad some nights - BUT - i dont know if i would say its "biased" - i just think its not good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked it up, Paul got 2 for roughing against Romanov and 2 for roughing against Evans: Evans got 2 for roughing against Paul, Romanov took his normal shift.

I also think the reffing has just been inconsistent and bad rather than biased.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah as mentioned above Romanov didnt get a penalty. 

That said, the reffing has been bad - quite bad some nights - BUT - i dont know if i would say its "biased" - i just think its not good. 

It has been brutal. It seems lopsided at times but it's been for the most part atrocious. The word consistency does not appear in the NHL rule book. They can't even agree on what is and isn't a penalty. Don't need to look any further then player safety to see that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

It has been brutal. It seems lopsided at times but it's been for the most part atrocious. The word consistency does not appear in the NHL rule book. They can't even agree on what is and isn't a penalty. Don't need to look any further then player safety to see that.

This is a contentious subject.  The refereeing just raises my blood pressure,  so I'm going to have to abstain. Carry on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I was thinking on just how bad the reffing has been this year. I can't recall another time when the Habs have had so many bad calls and missed calls go against them. Then I remembered a game last season after a game against Dallas on February 4th where CJ laid into the refs saying that they should be embarrassed. Wonder if that has a bit to do with the way our games are being officiated against us right now. Not sure how we rectify the situation if that is the case. The Refs are supposed to be professionals and impartial but when someone makes a statement against the officials like that you would have to think the other officials around the league would want to stand up for one of their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's just plain incompetence myself. A lot of the calls against us we're deserved and we do need to be more disciplined. Last nights game was a good example,,,, ton's of stick fouls and those too super dumb ones by Chiarot at the end of the game. What irks me is more of what is missed then what is called. Some are so obvious a tree could see it. I would imagine if there was a bias against the team there would be avenues for a team owner to explore in order to deal with it. These guys are still employees and i imagine can be fired,,, union or not. I don't see them risking their jobs or not getting prime assignments like the playoffs by holding a grudge. CJ is not the first coach to lose it on zebras and certainly won't be the last. We've had coaches in the past that were way too placid with refs and we were still getting the short end at times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Radko Gudas with a hit on Luke Glendening today that looked eerily similar to what Gudbranson did to Evans last night. Also no penalty on the play. The NHL needs to admit they have a problem, and they need to take out checks to the head of any type. With a high stick, it's an automatic penalty whether you meant to do it or not. In college football, it's an ejection if you hit someone in the head. In the NFL, it's a 15-yard major penalty if you hit a defenseless receiver in the head and it's a 15-yard penalty if you hit the quarterback in the head. In the NBA, it's a technical foul if you hit someone on the head. Why exactly is it so hard for the NHL to get it right? The only answer is they simply don't want to.

If you look at the list of guys we keep talking about with respect to hits to the head, 90% of these headshots are coming from the same small group of players. It always seems to be the Gudbranson's and Chara's and Gudas' and Tom Wilson's of the league who are the offenders. If most of the players can successfully avoid hitting others in the head, maybe these guys should be able to do it too. I'm sick of hearing about how it was unavoidable. It's only unavoidable if you put yourself in a position  where you're out of control. There's a rare circumstance where the guy being checked actually falls at the last second and his head ends up being really low and it's really an accident, but most of the time, these incidents occur because the hitting player is being too aggressive and maybe doesn't mean to get the head but frankly also doesn't care if they do. There's a lack of respect there, and it's clear which players are guilty of it. Likewise, when your DOPS is being run by guys like Quintal and Shanahan and Parros, all of whom played a dirty thug-style of game and played in an era where we didn't know much about concussions, you get a mindset that big hits are welcome and even encouraged as being a key part of the game. It would be nice to see the DOPS run as a committee and to have that committee run by a medical specialist who understands concussions and who's going to be able to decipher what type of hit is dangerous. Let it feature an ex-player or ex-players who aren't goons. Maybe a Marc Savard or Paul Kariya who understand the toll concussions take on you. Maybe then you'll get a different viewpoint instead of the same garbage the NHL spews out now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Radko Gudas with a hit on Luke Glendening today that looked eerily similar to what Gudbranson did to Evans last night. Also no penalty on the play. The NHL needs to admit they have a problem, and they need to take out checks to the head of any type. With a high stick, it's an automatic penalty whether you meant to do it or not. In college football, it's an ejection if you hit someone in the head. In the NFL, it's a 15-yard major penalty if you hit a defenseless receiver in the head and it's a 15-yard penalty if you hit the quarterback in the head. In the NBA, it's a technical foul if you hit someone on the head. Why exactly is it so hard for the NHL to get it right? The only answer is they simply don't want to.

If you look at the list of guys we keep talking about with respect to hits to the head, 90% of these headshots are coming from the same small group of players. It always seems to be the Gudbranson's and Chara's and Gudas' and Tom Wilson's of the league who are the offenders. If most of the players can successfully avoid hitting others in the head, maybe these guys should be able to do it too. I'm sick of hearing about how it was unavoidable. It's only unavoidable if you put yourself in a position  where you're out of control. There's a rare circumstance where the guy being checked actually falls at the last second and his head ends up being really low and it's really an accident, but most of the time, these incidents occur because the hitting player is being too aggressive and maybe doesn't mean to get the head but frankly also doesn't care if they do. There's a lack of respect there, and it's clear which players are guilty of it. Likewise, when your DOPS is being run by guys like Quintal and Shanahan and Parros, all of whom played a dirty thug-style of game and played in an era where we didn't know much about concussions, you get a mindset that big hits are welcome and even encouraged as being a key part of the game. It would be nice to see the DOPS run as a committee and to have that committee run by a medical specialist who understands concussions and who's going to be able to decipher what type of hit is dangerous. Let it feature an ex-player or ex-players who aren't goons. Maybe a Marc Savard or Paul Kariya who understand the toll concussions take on you. Maybe then you'll get a different viewpoint instead of the same garbage the NHL spews out now.

I mostly agree with this but i don't remember Quintal being a thug!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...