The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

13 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I mostly agree with this but i don't remember Quintal being a thug!

He had 1037 GP, 243 points, and 1320 penalty minutes. He was a 3rd pairing D man and he had 113 career fights. So definitely more of a pugilist than a skill player.

No matter what the league says, they love the violence in the game. I'll bet they're absolutely giddy with the rivalries being developed within each division.

13 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Again another head shot to a Habs player and again not a single player does jack shit about it.  We need a player with some balls and toughness!!!! 

We do have players with balls and toughness, brains tend to go a longer way though. It was a 1-goal game we probably didn't deserve to win, no point in sending a message that could cost us the game. I'd rather take the two points and make sure to send that message the next time we face them, there's still plenty of opportunity for retribution.

41 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

We do have players with balls and toughness, brains tend to go a longer way though. It was a 1-goal game we probably didn't deserve to win, no point in sending a message that could cost us the game. I'd rather take the two points and make sure to send that message the next time we face them, there's still plenty of opportunity for retribution.

Yeah pretty sure we all said the same thing when Myers took out Armia, next game the players did shit all about it.  And Armia is still out,  but ok lets keep this going.  What if next time it's one of our young studs?  Better to take care of it now before we actually lose a player long term.  Would rather lose the 2pts and keep our young players safe. 

39 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Yeah pretty sure we all said the same thing when Myers took out Armia, next game the players did shit all about it.  And Armia is still out,  but ok lets keep this going.  What if next time it's one of our young studs?  Better to take care of it now before we actually lose a player long term.  Would rather lose the 2pts and keep our young players safe. 

Edmundson did fight Myers in the next game, not sure what else you expect them to do. They also humiliated Vancouver in those games, which usually stings a lot more than 'sending a message'. The real problem is poor officiating and the lack of supplemental discipline by the NHL and their ridiculous department of player safety. This clearly needs to change but we're not the only team affected by those issues. I also don't think it's possible to keep our young players safe by going headhunting or taking matters into our own hands, it'll turn into a gong show and protects no one. I'd always take the two points in the standings first and then wait for an opportunity for payback. I'm guessing the Sens also weren't happy with Chiarot's cross-check to Stützle's head with seconds left to play, who is one of their young studs.

More errors and controversy for the NHL, who just can't seem to get anything right when it comes to officiating. In a gem between Columbus and Carolina this weekend, Carolina scored a goal, after which Tortorella challenged the play for being offside. Replay showed that Trocheck was clearly offside, but the linesmen reviewed it and deemed it to be onside. Clb was thus given a 2 minute penalty and play continued for another 1:15 until the end of the period. During the intermission, the league sent another view of the replay to the officials and they determined the play had been offside. So what do they do? They go out to start the 3rd period and cancel the remaining 45 seconds of the Blue Jackets' penalty. Despite doing that, they don't take the goal off the board and they don't replay the other 1:15 that had been lost.

What an awful gaffe for the league. Colin Campbell put out a statement saying there was a miscommunication between the league replay office and the officials (did they not agree on which team they were trying to fix the game for?), but this half-ass response doesn't make any sense at all. I don't think there's anything in the rulebook that says you can go and cancel a penalty halfway through, even if you look at a replay in the intermission and realize you made a huge mistake. And if you're going to go and cancel half a penalty in the name of trying to get it right, why not cancel the goal and go back and replay from that moment onward instead? The NHL managed to come up with a ruling that seemed to screw over both teams at once. Also not clear how the tv networks could see the offside in real time but the NHL didn't have the same view for the linesmen and didn't make the right ruling despite having replay. It's one thing to miss a call in real time. It's a whole other to double down on your screwjob by missing something that was clearly evident on a replay and then to triple down on that by making up a ruling that isn't anywhere in the rulebook to try and undo part of the blunder. What a complete joke, but fully exemplary of how the NHL makes up its rules as it goes along.

#FireBettman

#FireCampbell

#FireParros

54 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I suppose your right,  I just find it extremely frustrating that two obvious head shots and nothing is done about it by the league. 

I'm totally with you, it frustrates me to no end. You could also add Dubé's hit on Kotkaniemi to the list, where the head was the primary (only?) point of contact, too. I mean, everybody stopped playing, expecting a call. Instead, nothing. And afterwards all the talk about it being 'unavoidable', which is just utter BS in my opinion. Accidents aside, I think there's always a way to finish a check without hitting someone to the head, unless you've already overcommited and can't slow down anymore, which in turn means you're responsible and it's not an unavoidable contact. I get that hockey is a fast game and not easy to officiate, but IMO the refs just aren't doing their jobs.

Edited by ChiLla
On 2/6/2021 at 8:57 PM, campabee82 said:

Ok so I was thinking on just how bad the reffing has been this year. I can't recall another time when the Habs have had so many bad calls and missed calls go against them. Then I remembered a game last season after a game against Dallas on February 4th where CJ laid into the refs saying that they should be embarrassed. Wonder if that has a bit to do with the way our games are being officiated against us right now. Not sure how we rectify the situation if that is the case. The Refs are supposed to be professionals and impartial but when someone makes a statement against the officials like that you would have to think the other officials around the league would want to stand up for one of their own.

Its possible. Refs do hold grudges but it seems unlikely that its a concerted effort. I think its more like (below) just plain incompetence.

On 2/7/2021 at 7:33 AM, H_T_L said:

I think it's just plain incompetence myself. A lot of the calls against us we're deserved and we do need to be more disciplined. Last nights game was a good example,,,, ton's of stick fouls and those too super dumb ones by Chiarot at the end of the game. What irks me is more of what is missed then what is called. Some are so obvious a tree could see it. I would imagine if there was a bias against the team there would be avenues for a team owner to explore in order to deal with it. These guys are still employees and i imagine can be fired,,, union or not. I don't see them risking their jobs or not getting prime assignments like the playoffs by holding a grudge. CJ is not the first coach to lose it on zebras and certainly won't be the last. We've had coaches in the past that were way too placid with refs and we were still getting the short end at times. 

Agree.  Its also perception. I remember one of those games against the canucks - we had 2 delay of games, one bench minor and 2 lazy penalties. There were 2 'cheap' ones that you're like ... bro really?  but in the end, you look at it as 6-7 penalties & all you remember are the cheap ones.  Stop putting the puck over the glass, stop chipping at the opposition's sticks etc. You can play tough & still play smart.  Weber takes considerably less penalties than a lot of players who play a similar game to him because he's smart about how he uses his stick and power. 

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Radko Gudas with a hit on Luke Glendening today that looked eerily similar to what Gudbranson did to Evans last night. Also no penalty on the play. The NHL needs to admit they have a problem, and they need to take out checks to the head of any type. With a high stick, it's an automatic penalty whether you meant to do it or not. In college football, it's an ejection if you hit someone in the head. In the NFL, it's a 15-yard major penalty if you hit a defenseless receiver in the head and it's a 15-yard penalty if you hit the quarterback in the head. In the NBA, it's a technical foul if you hit someone on the head. Why exactly is it so hard for the NHL to get it right? The only answer is they simply don't want to.

Agree.   I have no problem with headshots being treated like high sticks - automatic penalty. The DOPS then decides the severity based on intent.  

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

More errors and controversy for the NHL, who just can't seem to get anything right when it comes to officiating. In a gem between Columbus and Carolina this weekend, Carolina scored a goal, after which Tortorella challenged the play for being offside. Replay showed that Trocheck was clearly offside, but the linesmen reviewed it and deemed it to be onside. Clb was thus given a 2 minute penalty and play continued for another 1:15 until the end of the period. During the intermission, the league sent another view of the replay to the officials and they determined the play had been offside. So what do they do? They go out to start the 3rd period and cancel the remaining 45 seconds of the Blue Jackets' penalty. Despite doing that, they don't take the goal off the board and they don't replay the other 1:15 that had been lost.

This is ridiculous.  I remember a game years ago where Messier scored a goal but it came out of the net so quickly they didnt realize it.  Play continued (despite messier running around telling anyone who would listen he had scored) for at least 2 minutes and then the opposition scored.   During the stoppage Messier went after the officials and demanded they review the play - and low and behold, he was right. He had scored.  So they reverse the opposition goal, gave Messier his goal and took the 2+ minutes off the clock.  Basically, as the announcer explained "anything that happened after the Messier goal did not happen."    

This is how that game should have been done.  Goal reversed at the very least. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

This is ridiculous.  I remember a game years ago where Messier scored a goal but it came out of the net so quickly they didnt realize it.  Play continued (despite messier running around telling anyone who would listen he had scored) for at least 2 minutes and then the opposition scored.   During the stoppage Messier went after the officials and demanded they review the play - and low and behold, he was right. He had scored.  So they reverse the opposition goal, gave Messier his goal and took the 2+ minutes off the clock.  Basically, as the announcer explained "anything that happened after the Messier goal did not happen."    

This is how that game should have been done.  Goal reversed at the very least. 

Except that the ability to reverse a play is only present until the next play starts. If there's a whistle (in this case, there was a goal and a penalty and then the game resumed) and then play resumes, you can no longer go back and change what happened. It was a missed offside call on the ice (which happens from time to time), followed by a botched replay assessment (unacceptable in its own right given how clear it was on the replays the tv audience had), and then a half-assed attempt to rectify the two previous errors by creating a rule mid-game that only partly undid the damage.

What does this mean going forward? If the refs get to an intermission and watch replays of plays during the preceding period, can they now go out and start assigning new penalties for things they missed beforehand? Oops, we missed an obvious high-stick, so you're going to start the period short-handed now. Or we reviewed that hit you made and it turns out it really looks a penalty in retrospect. What's the limit on this now? You just simply can't go back and start changing things after the fact. And then add on that on top of that, if you are going to really go outside the rulebook and start trying to undo previous calls, why stop at erasing the 45 seconds left? Why not replay the other 1:15 at even strength? Why not take the goal off the board too? There was zero transparency as to why that decision was made. Just an embarrassment all around for the league and its officials and I'm surprised there's not more of an outcry about it.

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I didn't have a problem with them not restarting from the missed call but why in the hell wouldn't they have nullified the goal??

Because it's a bush league. Things are getting worse instead of better.

Curious as to why the refs took the night off vs the Leafs? It's either call everything (and even fabricate a few) with these guys, or just let everything go like last night. Gotta love the consistency once again. 

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Curious as to why the refs took the night off vs the Leafs? It's either call everything (and even fabricate a few) with these guys, or just let everything go like last night. Gotta love the consistency once again. 

yeah that was odd! not sure who is running the show but things need to change!

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Pity party. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Is there any team in the League that gets more 5 on 3 PP's then the Leafs? Nice to see them choke on a 4 goal lead. Looks good on them.

:6280:

Looks like we get to test the theory about animosity between the refs and CJ. Do we start to get some breaks now? I'm not holding my breath.

Another disgusting call last night on Gally's goal resulting once again in lost points. This is really getting old.

40 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Looks like we get to test the theory about animosity between the refs and CJ. Do we start to get some breaks now? I'm not holding my breath.

Another disgusting call last night on Gally's goal resulting once again in lost points. This is really getting old.

And Gallagher was right. If he had enough time to get up after a player literally fell on top of him, turn around, and deflect the puck in for a goal... Well, Murray had enough time to get up and get ready to make a save. Just because Murray chose to not get back into the play with any speed, why should Gallagher be punished for that?

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

And Gallagher was right. If he had enough time to get up after a player literally fell on top of him, turn around, and deflect the puck in for a goal... Well, Murray had enough time to get up and get ready to make a save. Just because Murray chose to not get back into the play with any speed, why should Gallagher be punished for that?

Gally actually was knocked down twice to Murray's once and he had time to get up, get knocked down a second time, stand up, track the puck and deflect it into the net. How much time we're they going to give Murray? That was a stomach turning call and once again a big fail

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Even if you buy hte idea that Murray couldnt track the puck & was therefore not "set" after the interference, there was enough time to do so. There's no way you can convince me he couldnt have gotten set if he had wanted to. So that means he purposely tried to take his time to get back into position which is at very least a delay-of-game penalty.

Right call: Goal

Not great but acceptable call: Delay of game penalty

Bush league NHL call:  No goal, no penalty.