The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

I'm really interested to see where this goes.  I mean it's one thing if it's generally "known" that game management is a thing - even if people know it's going on it's all but impossible to attribute any specific call to it (at least with any proof).  It's also easy to sweep it under the rug, at least officially, since it's not something that can really be proven.

Here, though, they've got concrete proof AND it's been picked up by the national media.  They've got to do something to address it, right?  You can't really even pretend that things are called fairly with this hanging over your head.  It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

In any case, couldn't have happened to a better ref ;)

I stand corrected,,,, the League made Peel the sacrificial lamb.

https://www.tsn.ca/campbell-referee-tim-peel-will-no-longer-will-be-working-nhl-games-now-or-in-the-future-1.1612683

Kind of hypocritical if you ask me seeing as he was scheduled for retirement in less then 2 months regardless. Every fan knew this guy was crooked and the League just closed their eyes to it ( maybe they were even behind it)  IMO it's their weak attempt at saving face. They got caught with their pants down and now they're in damage control.. Think of how many games this moron had a direct effect on the outcome. Sickening. Just confirms what most of us suspected from day 1. Bush League.

Peel was a horrible ref and he was biased and wasn't following the rulebook, but he's one of many. The NHL probably made a deal with him to retire a month early, and while it's nice that there's now a precedent for the next guy who does this, the bigger story is that the NHL needs to start being more transparent with its officials, needs to make them available for comment, needs to call the rulebook rather than the game situation, and needs to hold others accountable too. They can't just make Tim Peel the Tom Wilson of the group but refuse to suspend others who aren't planning on retiring imminently.

This can't just go away tomorrow. The integrity of the League is now seriously in question. Every time a ref makes a questionable call, eyebrows will be raised going forward. When an obvious call is ignored questions will be asked.  What's the answer??? 

The League has allowed this problem to fester way too long. Time for heads to roll

I can see the League calling emergency meetings with their refs in the very near future admonishing them for being reckless with their microphones. Unfortunately that's the only action i see coming from this scandal rather then the much needed reform of how these guys go about calling games and enforcing rules.

I hate the thought of it, but maybe it's time for more video review and coach challenges. None of this BS where it goes to Toronto for review either. Time for a totally neutral location maned by credible professionals that don't answer to Bettman 

Not unexpected at all.

What's also not unexpected will be the league's reaction to it. There will be no changes. Referees will continue to call the "game situation" and teams that commit extra infractions will continue to get away with them the majority of the time. That's the NHL. If you don't have real parity, then you fabricate it.

10 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

This is tantamount to fixing games. He should be charged criminally.

Some kind of message needs to be sent. I can imagine the gambling industry is taking a hard look at this situation. Why wager on pre determined fixed games?

44 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

This is tantamount to fixing games. He should be charged criminally.

No question this happens at all levels of hockey. I've seen it and heard it. It's too bad that some of these refs have absolutely no integrity,  and think that they are bigger than the game. Not surprising this finally came out in this advancing age of technology.

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I stand corrected,,,, the League made Peel the sacrificial lamb.

https://www.tsn.ca/campbell-referee-tim-peel-will-no-longer-will-be-working-nhl-games-now-or-in-the-future-1.1612683

Kind of hypocritical if you ask me seeing as he was scheduled for retirement in less then 2 months regardless. Every fan knew this guy was crooked and the League just closed their eyes to it ( maybe they were even behind it)  IMO it's their weak attempt at saving face. They got caught with their pants down and now they're in damage control.. Think of how many games this moron had a direct effect on the outcome. Sickening. Just confirms what most of us suspected from day 1. Bush League.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Peel was a horrible ref and he was biased and wasn't following the rulebook, but he's one of many. The NHL probably made a deal with him to retire a month early, and while it's nice that there's now a precedent for the next guy who does this, the bigger story is that the NHL needs to start being more transparent with its officials, needs to make them available for comment, needs to call the rulebook rather than the game situation, and needs to hold others accountable too. They can't just make Tim Peel the Tom Wilson of the group but refuse to suspend others who aren't planning on retiring imminently.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldnt even be surprised if they TOLD him to do something like this so they could make it seem like they were so transparent. 

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wouldnt even be surprised if they TOLD him to do something like this so they could make it seem like they were so transparent. 

Would't surprise me in the least if the deal was for him to retire with his full pension in return for his silence on what goes on behind the scene with refs. We won't get the whole story IMO

Matt Duchene has come out and said Peel was actually speaking with Nashville forward Forsberg. Which is bizarre. He's just telling Nashville that he wanted to give them a penalty early in the game. That's so weird.

And yeah, Peel is an idiot, but this is obviously a league directive. Parity, parity, parity. Make the games as even as possible even when they're not.

This is kind of stupid when I think at the the underlying teams - Both Nashville and Detroit are virtually out of their divisional races. Have to think this is some kind of retaliatory measure against the organization or Coach Hynes. I have to question Peel's motivation 

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Why don't we hear from the head of referees, Steven Walkom. 

What's he gonna say? "We are committed to the equal and fair officiating of NHL hockey games and hold ourselves to standards above that of Peel." We'll all just chuckle and say, "Suuurrreeeee you are."

Alternatively, maybe he says, "Yeah, we all officiate the game like dummies because the league wants us to." Officiating in the NHL is so blatantly bad.

I feel like this whole thing sort of reeks of the NHL's short-term mindset towards growing the game. I feel like the league made the decision years ago that growing the game in new markets was the most important thing... and they decided that creating parity between teams was the best way to do that. NHL officiating seems like a product of that decision-making to me. Maybe it isn't, but it always feels like the competency with which NHL officials call the game must be directed from the league and must align with the vision of teams all being competitive against one another.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone follows Renaud Lavoie on twitter, he put up a video posted by the NHL this past off-season about challenges for goaltender interference, and they showed an example of a player coming and bumping the Vegas goalie while the goalie was in the crease but the glove was outside (pretty much identical to what happened to Allen last night). The commentator from the NHL says "even though the player remains outside the blue paint, he incidentally knocks into the goalie's glove hand, preventing him from making the save. For this reason, the play was ruled no goal." Renaud Lavoie says Ducharme cited this video example from the league as the reason he challenged the call. Yet for some reason we not only lost the challenge, we also got another 2 minute penalty for it. Huge swing in the game potentially and the NHL clearly showed its own inconsistency when you compare that to the video and the voice-over which describes the situation as exactly what happened last night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did  anyone happen to see the "Too many men" non-call on Tues. with 7 TB players on the ice? TB scored while they were on the ice, and it stood. 

We've seen it with Chris Lee his entire career. He is extremely incompetent. Can't think of too many people who are worse at their jobs than he is. The ones he missed were obvious, and the the ones he called were absurd after seeing what he let go. They called Weber for threatening McNabb. They called JK twice for hooking, which occurred fifty othe times in the game without calls. They called us for making a hit from the side but let hits from behind go free. And the only two PP's we got were calls from O'Rourke. Lee was clearly favoring the Knights. Don't know how much more obvious the league could have made it.

At this point, the NHL has two options:

1. You admit Lee and O'Rourke did a terrible job and remove those two refs from the rest of the playoffs.

2. You do nothing and admit you're part of the conspiracy and don't care about the integrity of your league.