The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Going to try and deduce this from logic as to who are Game 6 refs will be. There were 8 refs selected for the semis. We had Dwyer and Charron for Games 1 and 2 and Lee/O'Rourke for Games 3 and 4. Dwyer and Charron got shifted to Isles/TB for their Game 5, and we got Sutherland/Furlatt from the other series for our Game 5. So logic would dictate that we would be due to get  So if you follow the logic behind the assignments, you would think our Game 6 would have been St-Laurent/McCauley, except that McCauley is out of the third round mysteriously (rumored to have COVID). So that means the league will have to consider re-using someone. I see two possibilities:

1. The league simply keeps only two refs in Canada and goes back to Lee/O'Rourke despite everyone thinking they're heaping piles of garbage.

2. The league uses St-Laurent and combines him with one of Lee/O'Rourke or one of Sutherland/Furlatt. Anything else is still possible but goes against the stream of how assignments have been made to date.

What will be telling is who refs Isles/TB tonight. It should be Lee/O'Rourke, which would mean they don't come back North if that's the case.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Going to try and deduce this from logic as to who are Game 6 refs will be. There were 8 refs selected for the semis. We had Dwyer and Charron for Games 1 and 2 and Lee/O'Rourke for Games 3 and 4. Dwyer and Charron got shifted to Isles/TB for their Game 5, and we got Sutherland/Furlatt from the other series for our Game 5. So logic would dictate that we would be due to get  So if you follow the logic behind the assignments, you would think our Game 6 would have been St-Laurent/McCauley, except that McCauley is out of the third round mysteriously (rumored to have COVID). So that means the league will have to consider re-using someone. I see two possibilities:

1. The league simply keeps only two refs in Canada and goes back to Lee/O'Rourke despite everyone thinking they're heaping piles of garbage.

2. The league uses St-Laurent and combines him with one of Lee/O'Rourke or one of Sutherland/Furlatt. Anything else is still possible but goes against the stream of how assignments have been made to date.

What will be telling is who refs Isles/TB tonight. It should be Lee/O'Rourke, which would mean they don't come back North if that's the case.

That's it - you have elevated my interest in this game just to see who the refs are

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Scouting the refs web site says it is Gord Dwyer and Chris Lee tonight  - so maybe 1/2 of our problem disappears for our Game 6

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Scouting the refs web site says it is Gord Dwyer and Chris Lee tonight  - so maybe 1/2 of our problem disappears for our Game 6

Definitely the bigger half, though.  Hopefully this holds and we don't see him tomorrow.

So at this point, if Lee and Dwyer are doing Game 6 in NY, they aren't doing our series for Game 6. So we know it's two of Sutherland, Furlatt, Charron, St-Laurent, and O'Rourke. As was noted, Lebrun thinks Sutherland and Furlatt will get the call again.

43 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Kucherov takes a wicked crosscheck to the ribs right in front of Lee and no response.

Good . Knock him out of the remainder of the playoffs . 

Kucherov Is out of the game . Stamkos took some nice ones to the back snd his head hit the glass and cut his face At least Lee is consistently bad . On a serious note I don’t understand how the league can allow Lee to ref . The guy is terrible 

9 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Kucherov Is out of the game .  

Rumoured to be separated shoulder.  But no matter, nobody can stop Brayden Point.

But back to the refs.  It's Sutherland and Furlatt for Game 6. 

16 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Kucherov takes a wicked crosscheck to the ribs right in front of Lee and no response.

16 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Good . Knock him out of the remainder of the playoffs . 

There's no official update yet, but even if you don't want to see guys get hurt, it's almost funny that the league goes back to Chris Lee despite fans everywhere condemning him as being the worst ref in the league and then he gets front-row seats to yet another dirty play not two feet from his face. The league also absolved Tampa of any wrongdoing in cap circumvention but they clearly cheated by having Kucherov and Stamkos miraculously heal at exactly the right time to be ready for the playoffs without hurting their cap situation. it was clear cheating. So this is justice if Kucherov is out for the rest of the playoffs, and it would be justice if the same thing happened to Stamkos. Tampa would finally be cap compliant like the rest of the league, and then the battle would be fair. Pulling for the Isles. In '93 they did us a huge favor knocking out Pittsburgh and it would be another sign if we can advance and NY takes out Tampa along the way. 

8 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Rumoured to be separated shoulder.  But no matter, nobody can stop Brayden Point.

Let's discuss this should the final feature Montreal and Tampa

But something to think about

The Montreal Canadiens stopped Mitch Marner and Austin Mathews ( # 4 and # 5 in points this year )

They stopped Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers and Wheeler from Winnipeg ) 

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Let's discuss this should the final feature Montreal and Tampa

But something to think about

The Montreal Canadiens stopped Mitch Marner and Austin Mathews ( # 4 and # 5 in points this year )

They stopped Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers and Wheeler from Winnipeg ) 

Yeah.

And after the Leafs, they stopped the guys that stopped the Oilers,,, with the best offensive duo in the League,, and now they've shut down the stars of the team that took down McKinnon and company. We must be doing something right. 

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

There's no official update yet, but even if you don't want to see guys get hurt, it's almost funny that the league goes back to Chris Lee despite fans everywhere condemning him as being the worst ref in the league and then he gets front-row seats to yet another dirty play not two feet from his face. The league also absolved Tampa of any wrongdoing in cap circumvention but they clearly cheated by having Kucherov and Stamkos miraculously heal at exactly the right time to be ready for the playoffs without hurting their cap situation. it was clear cheating. So this is justice if Kucherov is out for the rest of the playoffs, and it would be justice if the same thing happened to Stamkos. Tampa would finally be cap compliant like the rest of the league, and then the battle would be fair. Pulling for the Isles. In '93 they did us a huge favor knocking out Pittsburgh and it would be another sign if we can advance and NY takes out Tampa along the way. 

The Habs have just shown the Isles it can be done if you want it bad enough. 

Hope Chris Lee and/or Dan O'Rourke don't get to referee any SCF games.  Would be nice to get Wes McCauley if he recovers in time.  That must be a reason why he's lauded as the League's best referee.

• 2 weeks later...

The refs this entire SCF were an absolute joke and embarrassment to hockey, you know it's bad when even the totally biased announcers on the SN are commenting on the lack of calls against TB.  What a shame that the NHL has to resort to such a tactic to keep the SC in the south.  Not saying the Habs would have won but would have been nice to see the game called fairly

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

The refs this entire SCF were an absolute joke and embarrassment to hockey, you know it's bad when even the totally biased announcers on the SN are commenting on the lack of calls against TB.  What a shame that the NHL has to resort to such a tactic to keep the SC in the south.  Not saying the Habs would have won but would have been nice to see the game called fairly

100% 

I can't think of another sport that openly just ignores their own rulebook in the playoffs.  My wife is tired of hearing me talk about it - it just seems so silly to me. 

Paradoxically, though, I don't actually hate playoff-style hockey where things go uncalled.  If they had a consistent standard and everyone knew what to expect I could probably get behind it.  The problem, though, is that things do get called, but only sometimes, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  If you let 10 hooks go but then call the 11th, the optics of the situation is that the refs basically just call a penalty whenever they feel like it.  It's no wonder we get so many complaints about biased officiating - whether the conspiracies are true or not, when the refs' calls are more or less unrelated to the severity of what's going on on the ice it's going to look suspicious and feel frustrating every single time.

Edit: ^^I should mention that all of that is talking about standard playoff reffing, like we saw in the SCF.  If we start talking about Chris Lee-level incompetence... well that's a whole other thing.

16 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

I can't think of another sport that openly just ignores their own rulebook in the playoffs.  My wife is tired of hearing me talk about it - it just seems so silly to me. 

Paradoxically, though, I don't actually hate playoff-style hockey where things go uncalled.  If they had a consistent standard and everyone knew what to expect I could probably get behind it.  The problem, though, is that things do get called, but only sometimes, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  If you let 10 hooks go but then call the 11th, the optics of the situation is that the refs basically just call a penalty whenever they feel like it.  It's no wonder we get so many complaints about biased officiating - whether the conspiracies are true or not, when the refs' calls are more or less unrelated to the severity of what's going on on the ice it's going to look suspicious and feel frustrating every single time.

Edit: ^^I should mention that all of that is talking about standard playoff reffing, like we saw in the SCF.  If we start talking about Chris Lee-level incompetence... well that's a whole other thing.

Personally I would much rather have "playoff' reffing all season. The regular season hockey has gotten so soft it's terrible.