The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

6 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Personally I would much rather have "playoff' reffing all season. The regular season hockey has gotten so soft it's terrible.

I don't mind the discrepancy between intended regular season officiating and intended playoff officiating. I sort of think the increase in allowable physical play makes the playoffs feel more special. I like that contrast with the regular season, which is generally far less physical. I just wish the referees were better able to call the game. Lac of consistency in the playoffs get noticed more because each game is so important. In the regular season that inconsistency is easier to forget about because there's 82 games for stuff to even out.

50 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't mind the discrepancy between intended regular season officiating and intended playoff officiating. I sort of think the increase in allowable physical play makes the playoffs feel more special. I like that contrast with the regular season, which is generally far less physical. I just wish the referees were better able to call the game. Lac of consistency in the playoffs get noticed more because each game is so important. In the regular season that inconsistency is easier to forget about because there's 82 games for stuff to even out.

I agree with the consistency but I still hate how the game is now called. Knock a stick out of someone's hands slashing stick doesn't break just guy drops it. One of many 

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with the consistency but I still hate how the game is now called. Knock a stick out of someone's hands slashing stick doesn't break just guy drops it. One of many 

Oh yeah, I would agree that certain rules are just lame. Regarding the slashing/stick thing, yeah, I don't know about those calls. If you knock the stick out of someone's hand it needs to be more subjective. I mean, some players just aren't hanging on to their stick strongly enough. I would understand a penalty being called if you slash hard and snap someone else's stick, but sometimes those calls are so soft it's unbearable.

16 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Personally I would much rather have "playoff' reffing all season. The regular season hockey has gotten so soft it's terrible.

To your point, playoff hockey is certainly more exciting, but I don't know if that only has to do with the lack of enforcement of the rulebook. The stakes are higher and players are also more willing to play hard and make sacrifices for the team. Then add on that the quality of the teams is higher on average after you cut out the bottom-feeders. So it's possible playoff hockey would be just as exciting if they called the rulebook properly.

The problem with not calling penalties in the regular season is that we'd go back 20 years to the clutch and grab era. If penalties were called according to playoff rules all the time, guys would just start grabbing and hitting late and stuff all the time because they'd get away with it and it would become an advantage to do it. You want to keep the game fast and skilled and you need to prevent there from being a way for the likes of Ulf Samuelsson and Bryan McCabe and George Parros from being relevant.

50 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The problem with not calling penalties in the regular season is that we'd go back 20 years to the clutch and grab era. If penalties were called according to playoff rules all the time, guys would just start grabbing and hitting late and stuff all the time because they'd get away with it and it would become an advantage to do it. You want to keep the game fast and skilled and you need to prevent there from being a way for the likes of Ulf Samuelsson and Bryan McCabe and George Parros from being relevant.

If we did go back to that, our defense suddenly looks a loooooooot better. :4224:

On 7/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, BigTed3 said:

To your point, playoff hockey is certainly more exciting, but I don't know if that only has to do with the lack of enforcement of the rulebook. The stakes are higher and players are also more willing to play hard and make sacrifices for the team. Then add on that the quality of the teams is higher on average after you cut out the bottom-feeders. So it's possible playoff hockey would be just as exciting if they called the rulebook properly.

I do believe there is a middle ground that would be so much better than it has gotten to now. There are so many calls that a "star" player is barely brushed or touched or a stick comes near that are called. Also now a player can't be hit if he's not prepared to be hit basically. I love speed and skill but good hard hockey is just as good. 

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I do believe there is a middle ground that would be so much better than it has gotten to now. There are so many calls that a "star" player is barely brushed or touched or a stick comes near that are called. Also now a player can't be hit if he's not prepared to be hit basically. I love speed and skill but good hard hockey is just as good. 

Agree. They aren't playing shinny.

• 2 months later...

Ten female officials will work games in the American Hockey League this season, the highest level that women have reached in that position in professional hockey.

Katie Guay on Saturday will become the first woman to referee an AHL game. Guay, fellow referees Kelly Cooke, Jacqueline Zee Howard, Laura White, Samantha Hiller, Elizabeth Mantha and Amanda Tasson and linespeople Kendall Hanley, Kirsten Welsh and Alexandra Clarke are among 17 new AHL officials this season.

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

Ten female officials will work games in the American Hockey League this season, the highest level that women have reached in that position in professional hockey.

Katie Guay on Saturday will become the first woman to referee an AHL game. Guay, fellow referees Kelly Cooke, Jacqueline Zee Howard, Laura White, Samantha Hiller, Elizabeth Mantha and Amanda Tasson and linespeople Kendall Hanley, Kirsten Welsh and Alexandra Clarke are among 17 new AHL officials this season.

i dont like it one bit. this can get very dangerous.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I have no feelings against women in any profession. I will say as a ref in hockey they still need to be able to keep the pace and be able to break up a fight. 

Isn't that the linesmens job?

4 hours ago, AH64 said:

i dont like it one bit. this can get very dangerous.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I have no feelings against women in any profession. I will say as a ref in hockey they still need to be able to keep the pace and be able to break up a fight

Is this really a concern?  I mean, some of the refs that we have right now don't strike me as being the strongest guys around.  Sure they need to be able to keep up on skates, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that any ref who gets to this level is going to be able to handle that one.  As far as breaking up a fight, as it is any referee is probably not going to be able to physically overpower an NHL player if they were really determined to hit someone.  I don't see a gender requirement for stepping in between two people on skates and pushing them apart.

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

Is this really a concern?  I mean, some of the refs that we have right now don't strike me as being the strongest guys around.  Sure they need to be able to keep up on skates, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that any ref who gets to this level is going to be able to handle that one.  As far as breaking up a fight, as it is any referee is probably not going to be able to physically overpower an NHL player if they were really determined to hit someone.  I don't see a gender requirement for stepping in between two people on skates and pushing them apart.

I agree, and to some degree a female may be better at breaking up a fight as the guys will not want to injure them for sure.