The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The problem is that we say this every year. He plays fine for 10 games to start the year, he goes into a funk. He recovers a bit after the all-star break, then he fades again. He played well in the bubble after a long rest. I doubt he's any more injured than the rest of the players all the time, and I suspect a large part of this is just age, fatigue, and wear and tear. He's not young and 90% of D men kind of drop off in performance in their early to mid 30's. I think he's have spurts where he does better and he'll hold up more against teams with less firepower on offence, but at the end of the day I think the Weber we're seeing is something he'll be for the rest of his career. I don't think he can play 20+ minutes for 60-80 games in a row any more, especially with a condensed season like we're seeing.

Not all of us say that every year. he is not what he once was but he is not as bad as he is playing right now. if we could get to a point where we only take say 3-4 penalties a game we may see him do better....

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

I mean, "slightly above average top 4" may be a bit harsh for someone with 16 points in 17 games and a +15.  He's been talked about in the Norris discussion all year... yes we're only 1/4 of the way through but i think he's top 2 on pretty much any team in the league right now. 

A bit harsh, maybe. I think he is a good #2 or #3 on a lot of teams and on a couple of teams like ours he would look better than that,. 

I don't put much emphasis on the Norris noise since it is an trophy voted on by the media and can often become a popularity contest. However, I do agree that having his name in the mix is a positive statement on his recent play.  He has also been recently mentioned for consideration for the 2022 US Olympic team but most media analysts ( C Button is an exception) are doubtful he would crack the top 10 of US defensemen let alone the top 8 but it would be great if he could. I like him as a player and given our team's options I like the pairing with Edmundson. 

We all see players differently and my opinion is just that, only an opinion. I hope I am forced to upgrade the "slightly" as the season progresses.

19 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Ben Chiarot playing 24:14 minutes against the Jets tells you all you need to know about the Habs. 

That's a stomach turning stat. One of our issues may be that nobody on the current roster is able to play with a diminished Weber but how will we know if we keep sending them out there every game. Something has to give soon. 

12 hours ago, H_T_L said:

That's a stomach turning stat. One of our issues may be that nobody on the current roster is able to play with a diminished Weber but how will we know if we keep sending them out there every game. Something has to give soon. 

I would argue that probably anyone else on our d corps should make Weber look less diminished 

On 2/27/2021 at 2:03 AM, maas_art said:

I would argue that probably anyone else on our d corps should make Weber look less diminished 

For sure, as BC is our weakest link.

• 1 month later...

This list seems to be rapidly evolving, albeit not in a good way... here's where I have them now:

1. Petry (a #1 D man but one who still needs to have his minutes managed on account of his age/fatigue)

2. Kulak (underrated, maybe a decent #4 but who's being asked to do more than he can right now)

3. Weber (overrated, he too could be a good #4 but the team needs to first recognize he's no longer a top-pairing player. It's the single biggest thing holding us back right now)

4. Romanov (slowly improving, I still think he'll get to where we want him to be over time, most likely a 2nd-pairing guy for his career)

5. Edmundson (he was strong with Petry, he's been weak with Weber. The truth is probably somewhere in between)

6. Chiarot (needs to be on the 3rd pairing when he comes back)

7. Mete (he's a great skater but a bad defenceman, so hard to find a role for him)

Guessing Merrill will be weaker than the top 4 and slot somewhere around where the other 3 are. So once again, a depth piece who doesn't really address the team's needs for a top-pairing puck-moving LHD.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This list seems to be rapidly evolving, albeit not in a good way... here's where I have them now:

1. Petry (a #1 D man but one who still needs to have his minutes managed on account of his age/fatigue)

2. Kulak (underrated, maybe a decent #4 but who's being asked to do more than he can right now)

3. Weber (overrated, he too could be a good #4 but the team needs to first recognize he's no longer a top-pairing player. It's the single biggest thing holding us back right now)

4. Romanov (slowly improving, I still think he'll get to where we want him to be over time, most likely a 2nd-pairing guy for his career)

5. Edmundson (he was strong with Petry, he's been weak with Weber. The truth is probably somewhere in between)

6. Chiarot (needs to be on the 3rd pairing when he comes back)

7. Mete (he's a great skater but a bad defenceman, so hard to find a role for him)

Guessing Merrill will be weaker than the top 4 and slot somewhere around where the other 3 are. So once again, a depth piece who doesn't really address the team's needs for a top-pairing puck-moving LHD.

Yeah, man...i dont even know how to rank them anymore.   To begin the season it felt like we had Weber & Petry & not much else... now it feels like Petry.. and not much else.

In order to rank them I have to sort of 'guess' what they would be like under different situations - like Weber has been Abysmal but I think if he is pushed down the lineup he probably is fine at that position.   Romanov, conversely, is playing as our #5-6 but is probably one of our top 3-4. I know your list is based purely on what we're seeing but I think i rank mine based at least in part on what i think we'll see.  Like right now Kulak is probably better than Romanov but i find he gets more rattled at times & I think it wouldnt be a shock to see Romanov overtake him very soon.  

I think i would go:

Petry 

then a huge gap

Weber (i know he's been terrible but a] I think its not as bad as it seems and b] i think pushing him back a pairing would do wonders)
Romanov
Kulak
Edmundson
Chairot

I suspect Merrill will sit somewhere between Romanov and Edmundson. 

Kulak rated above Edmundson!  I just don't get it.  Put Edmundson back with Petry and both of them would perform better. Every time I watch Kulak I see flash but no substance, he's acceptable as a bottom pairing guy but we all see players differently. Romanov does show more promise than Kulak and I see him as a second pairing guy in the future.

4 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

Kulak rated above Edmundson!  I just don't get it.  Put Edmundson back with Petry and both of them would perform better. Every time I watch Kulak I see flash but no substance, he's acceptable as a bottom pairing guy but we all see players differently. Romanov does show more promise than Kulak and I see him as a second pairing guy in the future.

You read my mind! since Petry has been separated from Edmundson poof no more offence and it takes him a while to get comfortable with changes too. our best bet is to put them back together put Merill with Romanov so the kid has more leeway and Merill can stay on the defensive side Webber was better when he was with Chiarot but I think we could do other things there from time to time.

https://torontosun.com/sports/traik-eotomy-does-joe-thornton-still-have-a-place-in-the-maple-leafs-lineup

… After acquiring Erik Gustaffsson and Jon Merrill at the deadline, I’ll put Montreal’s defence against any other team’s in the North Division. Trying to pick a top-six once Ben Chiarot returns from injury is going to be a fun challenge for head coach Dominique Ducharme, especially after seeing how Alexander Romanov was able to physically keep Matthews in check the other night