The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

17 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'd be more inclined to clinch 4th place before resting everyone. This team is too capable of going on a losing streak and this is not the time to do so. Why give teams hope which just makes them play harder?

Montreal is 3 W and 7 L in last 10 . Eight points ahead of Vancouver and Vancouver has 4 games in hand . Not exactly the time to be resting players 

Edited by Regis22
16 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'd be more inclined to clinch 4th place before resting everyone. This team is too capable of going on a losing streak and this is not the time to do so. Why give teams hope which just makes them play harder?

Downsides to this:

1. You're playing with poorly-rested Weber and Petry that whole time, so you wear them out more. And are we really better off with those guys in and playing poorly than having fresher legs?

2. if you clinch 4th with 5 games to go, then you're playing out the stretch with nothing to play for and you risk losing intensity.

3. As I've posted before, I want Calgary and Vancouver to keep winning too. I don't want to back into the playoffs because no one was catching us and we head in playing terrible hockey. If you're going to go in as a 4 seed, you want to benefit from being as healthy as possible and playing well in the 3-4 games before you go in. One benefit of this isolated division thing is that there are less unknowns and you have a pretty good sense of what you need to do to get into the post-season. The Habs can probably look at their last stretch and know that they need to play .500 and they're in. There's not much mystery there.

33 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Montreal is 3 W and 7 L in last 10 . Eight points ahead of Vancouver and Vancouver has 4 games in hand . Not exactly the time to be resting players 

Yeah.  Because the ones they're using are doing so good.