The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Lines

BigTed3

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Same. At this point im not worried simply because i believe they see JK as a centre, long term. I think they believe that playing him with Danault + Anderson is preferable to playing him further down the lineup with less competent wingers.  Yes, i know Caulfield would be his winger, but caufield needs some sheltering (or 2 very strong linemates) right now, so they probably dont like the mix just yet.

Nothing Ducharme has done has led me to believe he will value vets over youth going forward.  He's overplayed staal and perry a bit for my liking but a lot of that has to do with injuries.   I think that for the most part I can at least understand why DD has done what he's done on almost every case to do with the forwards.

Now, the defense... thats a different story.    

This ^^^^ about the defense. Recent pairings have been acceptable the last couple games, but it was pretty much forced on him because of Weber's injury. Glad he saw the error in sitting Romanov for that one game.

We'll soon see if that trend continues once Weber is back

9 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

This ^^^^ about the defense. Recent pairings have been acceptable the last couple games, but it was pretty much forced on him because of Weber's injury. Glad he saw the error in sitting Romanov for that one game.

We'll soon see if that trend continues once Weber is back

Ya.  Weber out means Petry gets top pairing and, not surprisingly, Chairot-Romanov looks halfway decent in the 2nd pairing role. 

Kulak - Petry
Romanov - Weber
Edmundson - Merril/Chairot

would be so much better than what we've seen all season long.  

My hope is that they like Romanov-Chairot so much we'll see:

Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Weber
Chairot - Romanov

There's no way we lose both Edmundson & Chairot from the top 4 but its possible they keep BC-AR together and its possible they like Edm-Petry as the top pair. 

Ducharme still playing with some different line combos:

At practice today:

Anderson – Danault – Caufield
Toffoli – Suzuki – Armia
Kotkaniemi – Evans — Lehkonen
Frolik – Staal – Perry 

Kulak – Chiarot
Edmundson – Petry
Romanov – Merrill

Interesting that they bump Anderson to the LW to make room for CC.   Im unclear if JK still playing LW or C though - another site (This is from John Lu) had the line listed as Lekhs - JK - Evans (who is a rhs so RW makes sense)

Ducharme said Price will skate tomorrow but wont travel with the team.  I wonder if Price and Weber are being "load managed" now.  Like, im sure they had injuries to start but now the team has won a few, there's no pressure to rush back & we saw how good both of them were when well-rested last year in the bubble... 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ducharme still playing with some different line combos:

At practice today:

Anderson – Danault – Caufield
Toffoli – Suzuki – Armia
Kotkaniemi – Evans — Lehkonen
Frolik – Staal – Perry 

Kulak – Chiarot
Edmundson – Petry
Romanov – Merrill

Interesting that they bump Anderson to the LW to make room for CC.   Im unclear if JK still playing LW or C though - another site (This is from John Lu) had the line listed as Lekhs - JK - Evans (who is a rhs so RW makes sense)

Ducharme said Price will skate tomorrow but wont travel with the team.  I wonder if Price and Weber are being "load managed" now.  Like, im sure they had injuries to start but now the team has won a few, there's no pressure to rush back & we saw how good both of them were when well-rested last year in the bubble... 

So,,, based on those practice lines i guess it's now safe to say that Tuna is officially week to week rather then the original statement of day to day.

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

So,,, based on those practice lines i guess it's now safe to say that Tuna is officially week to week rather then the original statement of day to day.

I honestly think that if the guys are getting it done right now they are telling guys like Weber (35), Price (33), Byron (31) and Tatar (30) to "TAKE YOUR TIME"  - and its not a bad idea, assuming they are game-shape ready when the PO start, you're going to have some pretty key guys, well rested.   

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I honestly think that if the guys are getting it done right now they are telling guys like Weber (35), Price (33), Byron (31) and Tatar (30) to "TAKE YOUR TIME"  - and its not a bad idea, assuming they are game-shape ready when the PO start, you're going to have some pretty key guys, well rested.   

For sure.  It took them long enough, but it took some injuries to get the best lineup possible. They kind of accidentally stumbled on the value of some of their own players.  Go figure. For sure a small sample size, but the last 3 games have been pretty exciting to watch. Definitely some young guns stepping up, as well as the rejuvenated Petry. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

For sure.  It took them long enough, but it took some injuries to get the best lineup possible. They kind of accidentally stumbled on the value of some of their own players.  Go figure. For sure a small sample size, but the last 3 games have been pretty exciting to watch. Definitely some young guns stepping up, as well as the rejuvenated Petry. 

The problem is, do they heed that when people come back.   Weber comes back & likely gets top minutes next to Chiarot. Never mind the fact that Kulak looked better than either of them or that Petry-Edmundson 1st pair is better than Chiarot-Weber with the same assignments this year.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The problem is, do they heed that when people come back.   Weber comes back & likely gets top minutes next to Chiarot. Never mind the fact that Kulak looked better than either of them or that Petry-Edmundson 1st pair is better than Chiarot-Weber with the same assignments this year.

Yeah.  It'll be like they never left. Kinda like, "Thanks for getting us into the playoffs, Guys, but, We'll take er from here"  It sucks, but that would be on DD.  Time for DD to step up!

• 4 weeks later...

Romanov

As I said at the beginning of the season after the World juniors and carefully watching his play, he would be a third pair dman this year. If not seven. He’s proven to be exactly that. He actually need a year in the AHL. Don’t be surprised if he starts there next year now instead of this year. He was rushed and given every ounce of opportunity but couldn’t keep up to starting pro hockey as the season ramped up more and more. Just the way it is. He’s not quite there yet. I’d argue a few guys as of today are further ahead on the AHL team also. But he’s earned the honour to be a travelling member during the playoffs. And emergency 8th or 9th. As it is. 

Here is how I would start the 2nd round:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Tatar-Danault-Armia

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

(Byron and Staal draw out for me)

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Romanov

Kulak-Weber

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

By now, it should be obvious who the clutch players during playoffs are.  Byron is clutch.  You want him when there's a solo breakaway, odd man rush or PK oportunity for SHG.  Whether Tatar is clutch or not for the Habs during playoffs is highly questionable.  Between the two, I'd rather go with Byron.   

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Tatar-Danault-Armia

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Romanov

Kulak-Weber

So far from ever happening in every way. But each person has a say. :)

3 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

By now, it should be obvious who the clutch players during playoffs are.  Byron is clutch.  You want him when there's a solo breakaway, odd man rush or PK oportunity for SHG.  Whether Tatar is clutch or not for the Habs during playoffs is highly questionable.  Between the two, I'd rather go with Byron.   

same here you have to reward the guys who are playing hard! Tater has done very little in the last half of this year and he has been playing a very soft game not good in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

32 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

same here you have to reward the guys who are playing hard! Tater has done very little in the last half of this year and he has been playing a very soft game not good in the playoffs.

I get that Byron scored the beauty goal in Game 1, but otherwise, saying he played well and that Tatar played poorly is recall bias. Sure, Tatar didn't score, but most of the team didn't score very much in the first round. We had 4 goals in the first 4 games, and we had 10 in the last 3 (but including two OT goals and an empty netter). So really, 11 regulation non-EN goals for the entire team in 7 games. Of the 14 goals, 11 came from 5 guys who each had more than 1. The rest of the team did very little. Byron had 1G, 1A in 7 games vs. Tatar's 1A in 5 games. Anderson had only 1 goal. Gallagher only had 1 goal and basically only showed up in Game 7. Weber 0 points. Petry 1 assist. Chiarot 0 points. Evans, who was maybe our best player, had 0 points. Danault 1 assist. Lehkonen nothing. Caufield 1 assist. The fact is that very few guys actually produced anything in this series, it wasn't something pinned on one player.

In terms of what else they contributed outside of points, many of these guys played well. In Tatar's case, he played on a line that helped to shut down the opposition's top players. And he came out of that with a team-best 61% Corsi among forwards. That means we basically had two shot attempts for for each one against when he was on the ice. That's a high number. Conversely, Byron sat at 43%, 3rd-worst among the 14 forwards on the team. Outside of Game 1, there were games where he was invisible. To boot, Tatar was our leading scorer last year and 4th this year despite missing time and playing out the stretch injured. I'm not convinced he's not still dealing with an injury now. But if he's healthy, then this team frankly lacks players who can score, and he provides as good a chance as any winger at providing that, in addition to having played extremely well defensively. On the PP, guess who our best player has been this series in terms of scoring chances generated for per ice time? It's Tatar again.

All the stats suggest that Tatar has played well. We're dominating puck possession by a mile when he's on the ice and he's generating scoring chances for his line at both ES and on the PP. The problem has been that pucks haven't gone in, but that can be said about the entire team. This team needs to think about who gives them the best chance of winning going forward and there is zero doubt that Tatar does more of that then Byron, Lehkonen, Staal, Armia, and if you want to look at the advanced stats, he's done better than Gallagher and Anderson and Caufield and Evans too. It would be bad coaching to exclude him continually on the basis of bad puck luck. I get that no one forward has played so poorly that they necessarily deserve to sit, but of the group, Byron is the least deserving of keeping his spot and Tatar simply brings more to the line-up than he does.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Tatar-Danault-Armia

Lehkonen-Evans-Perry

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Romanov

Kulak-Weber

I could live with those same players , if needed there's room to adjust in game. 

The D would be Weber Chariot

Edmondson Petry

Gustason   Romanov 

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I get that Byron scored the beauty goal in Game 1, but otherwise, saying he played well and that Tatar played poorly is recall bias. Sure, Tatar didn't score, but most of the team didn't score very much in the first round. We had 4 goals in the first 4 games, and we had 10 in the last 3 (but including two OT goals and an empty netter). So really, 11 regulation non-EN goals for the entire team in 7 games. Of the 14 goals, 11 came from 5 guys who each had more than 1. The rest of the team did very little. Byron had 1G, 1A in 7 games vs. Tatar's 1A in 5 games. Anderson had only 1 goal. Gallagher only had 1 goal and basically only showed up in Game 7. Weber 0 points. Petry 1 assist. Chiarot 0 points. Evans, who was maybe our best player, had 0 points. Danault 1 assist. Lehkonen nothing. Caufield 1 assist. The fact is that very few guys actually produced anything in this series, it wasn't something pinned on one player.

In terms of what else they contributed outside of points, many of these guys played well. In Tatar's case, he played on a line that helped to shut down the opposition's top players. And he came out of that with a team-best 61% Corsi among forwards. That means we basically had two shot attempts for for each one against when he was on the ice. That's a high number. Conversely, Byron sat at 43%, 3rd-worst among the 14 forwards on the team. Outside of Game 1, there were games where he was invisible. To boot, Tatar was our leading scorer last year and 4th this year despite missing time and playing out the stretch injured. I'm not convinced he's not still dealing with an injury now. But if he's healthy, then this team frankly lacks players who can score, and he provides as good a chance as any winger at providing that, in addition to having played extremely well defensively. On the PP, guess who our best player has been this series in terms of scoring chances generated for per ice time? It's Tatar again.

All the stats suggest that Tatar has played well. We're dominating puck possession by a mile when he's on the ice and he's generating scoring chances for his line at both ES and on the PP. The problem has been that pucks haven't gone in, but that can be said about the entire team. This team needs to think about who gives them the best chance of winning going forward and there is zero doubt that Tatar does more of that then Byron, Lehkonen, Staal, Armia, and if you want to look at the advanced stats, he's done better than Gallagher and Anderson and Caufield and Evans too. It would be bad coaching to exclude him continually on the basis of bad puck luck. I get that no one forward has played so poorly that they necessarily deserve to sit, but of the group, Byron is the least deserving of keeping his spot and Tatar simply brings more to the line-up than he does.

Recall bias....... ok.

• 2 weeks later...

If we get everyone back healthy

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen (only sitting Perry and keeping Byron b/c this particular combination was strong when together)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's how I think the lines could shake up next year... I'm going to make the assumption the Habs protect 4-4-1 in the ED and that Seattle selects Lehkonen. I think MB will target Brandon Saad in free agency with his former Hawks connection. I can also see him going after a guy like Nik Hjalmarsson, who was also drafted by Chicago, or Alec Martinez, who we were rumored to be interested in a couple of years ago. Jake McCabe could also be a target at LD if he recovers from his serious injury. I can see him targeting Matthieu Perreault or Casey Czikas as a potential 4th line replacement for Staal or Armia, and I think he'll make a push to re-sign Danault and Perry. Guys like Drouin, Byron, and Kulak could be trade assets. So this could leave us with something like

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Saad-Danault-Gallagher

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen

Perreault-Evans-Perry

Poehling

Chiarot-Weber

Edmundson-Petry

Hjalmarsson-Romanov

Fleury

Price

Allen

Not saying this is my plan, but this is something that would not surprise me to see MB do.

• H_T_L locked this topic