The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sat. Feb 20th Habs and Leafs @ 7:00

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

What an awful defensive play from Weber. Just completely took himself out of the play on an odd man rush against. Like Chiarot, he's been awful this season. That pairing needs to pick it up or we're toast.

I thought Chiarot was far worse than Weber but whole heartedly agree on this - Edmundson other than that gamble press in the 3rd wasn't as bad

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Guys who played well: Anderson, Tatar, Kotkaniemi (who really found some confidence after his goal), Armia, Romanov, Byron, Evans.

On the other hand:

- Danault: invisible

- Chiarot: boneheaded penalty that cost us two goals.

- Weber: mistake-prone and out of position all night

- Suzuki: didn't do anything to stand out

- Gallagher: didn't do anything to stand out

Starting to be a usual cast of characters on this list of guys who need to step up. Very clear to me the Habs need to demote Danault and Chiarot down the line-up.

Good assessment - I thought Drouin was same as Suzuki - both have hit a wall and need some confidence - I liked KK carrying the puck and using his reach with some speed to go around guys. Toffoli was just so so. I am scared of some passengers on this team again. I would prefer Kulak back in the lineup as Mete took 2 stupid penalties - he has to stick check because of his size so of course he will be prone to trips, hooks and holds. 

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Guys who played well: Anderson, Tatar, Kotkaniemi (who really found some confidence after his goal), Armia, Romanov, Byron, Evans.

On the other hand:

- Danault: invisible

- Chiarot: boneheaded penalty that cost us two goals.

- Weber: mistake-prone and out of position all night

- Suzuki: didn't do anything to stand out

- Gallagher: didn't do anything to stand out

Starting to be a usual cast of characters on this list of guys who need to step up. Very clear to me the Habs need to demote Danault and Chiarot down the line-up.

agreed, and danault has been invisible for a long long time, 

It's the blue jersey's! we lose when we wear them.......LOL! I knew we would struggle in this game after such a long layoff! Personally I don't find we are a well prepared team this year. we have good players we just don't seem to show up all the time.

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

I thought Chiarot was far worse than Weber but whole heartedly agree on this - Edmundson other than that gamble press in the 3rd wasn't as bad

Edmundson, to his credit, has outplayed Chiarot and Weber in the past couple of weeks. He's not providing much puck movement or offence but he's also limited his mistakes and made himself less noticeable. I think the pinch he made in the 3rd was bad but in the context of being down two late in the third, you take risks at getting to 50-50 pucks that you wouldn't ordinarily, so it's somewhat forgiveable.

Hard to tell which of Chiarot or Weber was worse. Chiarot's penalty was costly. Weber made a really bad decision to go and hit Matthews and yield a 2 on 1 a a result, and he made a few other turnovers and bad plays besides that. I remember when Subban would go and lay a big hit on a guy and give up a 1 on 1 for his partner, and certain media members would chastise him for making a selfish play to lay a hit instead of playing defence. Here, Weber goes and makes a bad hit (and doesn't even really hit Matthews that hard) and gives up an odd man rush that turns into a goal against and I didn't hear much about how selfish or stupid it was from the media. Some fan mentioned it being a bad defensive play and Francois Gagnon, for example, said he didn't understand why it was bad for Weber to go make a hit. The media tells the story they want to. I've said it for a while, but Weber has ridden his reputation more than his actual play. He's been bad. Big shot but more often off target than on. Even the coaches have noticed and pulled him off the 1st PP wave. He's not getting on loose pucks, he's out of position a lot, he's slow. Outside of his reputation, not sure what he's done in the past few weeks that puts him above Chiarot or Edmundson or Kulak.

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

Good assessment - I thought Drouin was same as Suzuki - both have hit a wall and need some confidence - I liked KK carrying the puck and using his reach with some speed to go around guys. Toffoli was just so so. I am scared of some passengers on this team again. I would prefer Kulak back in the lineup as Mete took 2 stupid penalties - he has to stick check because of his size so of course he will be prone to trips, hooks and holds. 

Drouin played well in the 1st, kind of disappeared later in the game. Toffoli had 2-3 plays where he stood out offensively and buried one of them (somewhat meaningless at the time) but yes, wasn't much of a factor for long stretches. Outside of one game, he's really dropped off since being moved onto the line with Danault and Gallagher. Danault is dragging his linemates down right now. Tatar's looked better without him. Toffoli looked better without him. It's why I just posted in the Lines thread that Danault should go to the 4th line with Lehkonen and Byron. Give him easy minutes with guys he's had chemistry with before. Let him play the PK. Get him to stop stressing about producing offence and give the offensive wingers guys who are creating more. When Danault gets some confidence back, you move him back up the line-up then. Right now, he's off.

• H_T_L locked this topic