The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

By all accounts, Julien is an honorable person who treated players, journalists, etc. with respect. The same could not be said for Therrien. So whereas I wanted Therrien fired from the day he was re-hired, I don't think there's much joy in having to let Claude go. It was time to look at a new strategy, but he is far from the only problem behind this situation. I think we also need to look at how bad the PP has been (Muller +/- personnel usage there), how inconsistent Price has been (and how much cap room he's eating to be that inconsistent), and how poorly constructed our D is (too many slow lumbering types, including our captain). On top of that, throw in a few slumping players without contracts or who aren't happy with their situations (Danault, Tatar, Mete). There's more to this than just Julien, and despite his great trades, Bergevin deserves some of the blame here too, especially for the defence situation. That said, as I pointed out a couple of days ago, swapping coaches is really the only card Bergevin held in the short term. He's not likely to be able to acquire a Werenski or Dumba or so on in season without shaking up his core and without having that new player miss two weeks for quarantine. So this was the move for the short-term.

I agree with everything you're saying but, devil's advocate, Im sure MB doesnt make trades i a bubble. He and Julien seemed to have a strong relationship and I would bet dollars for donuts Claude was consulted before he made moves like adding Edmundson.  If Claude didnt like that type of player, he would have played Kulak higher up the lineup and Chairot further down.  We'll never know for sure but i think its entirely possible that Claude was the catalyst for a move like adding Edmundson (and Chairot the year before).  Maybe after a week or two Ducharme goes to MB and  says "I need a top 4 mobile LHD"  

Quick question for all:
How does this impact your expectation for the team this season?

When this season started, I think many of us said, "We should make the playoffs and we should be competitive." I don't think we necessarily saw the team is Cup contenders, but I definitely expected them to be in the playoffs and to make some noise.

TSN 690 is saying that there "should" be a presser around 3 PM today after they get into Winnipeg, and will carry it live. 

13 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN 690 is saying that there "should" be a presser around 3 PM today after they get into Winnipeg, and will carry it live. 

MB has to be one of the worst at pressers. I can almost recite word for word what he'll have to say.

23 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Quick question for all:
How does this impact your expectation for the team this season?

When this season started, I think many of us said, "We should make the playoffs and we should be competitive." I don't think we necessarily saw the team is Cup contenders, but I definitely expected them to be in the playoffs and to make some noise.

Ask me in 2-3 games.  I need to see how Ducharme organizes his roster & his deployments.

Im cautiously optimistic that he sees what so many of us see (Chairot is too slow for first pairing, JK needs better wingers etc) but until i see him actually do it, I worry.

I think we have a roster capable of making the playoffs easily and - especially if Price turns it around - possibly make some noise in the post season but until i see how DD organizes things i wont have confidence in that feeling just yet. 

These firings should have been done last week when Ducharme and Burrows would have a chance to run practices.

1 minute ago, kinot-2 said:

These firings should have been done last week when Ducharme and Burrows would have a chance to run practices.

Well especially since it sounds like MB was considering it for a bit...

on the flip side, Ducharme at least is familiar with the players & presumably has a good handle on what he thinks will work and what wont with this roster. 

45 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I agree with everything you're saying but, devil's advocate, Im sure MB doesnt make trades i a bubble. He and Julien seemed to have a strong relationship and I would bet dollars for donuts Claude was consulted before he made moves like adding Edmundson.  If Claude didnt like that type of player, he would have played Kulak higher up the lineup and Chairot further down.  We'll never know for sure but i think its entirely possible that Claude was the catalyst for a move like adding Edmundson (and Chairot the year before).  Maybe after a week or two Ducharme goes to MB and  says "I need a top 4 mobile LHD"  

I'd agree with you that Claude, being a veteran and well-respected coach, was consulted for his opinion. I also think MB made the final calls himself. Even before Claude, MB was very quick to send out guys whose attitude he didn't like and he's always been a fan of adding defenceman depth and particularly the big, slow kind. Even before Julien got here, Bergevin has added the likes of Bryan Allen, Davis Drewiske, Francis Bouillon, Douglass Murray, Jordie Benn, and so on. I think he just likes the idea of tough, gritty defensive defencemen. I think he still buys into the adage that it's all about being "tough to play against" and that blocking shots and throwing hits are positive stats as opposed to signs you never have the puck. So while I certainly believe that CJ also liked Chiarot and Edmundson, I think they would have been Bergevin targets anyways. I don't think you're GM and bring in that list of guys I mentioned as well as your David Schlemko's and your Karl Alzner's and Brandon Davidson's and Nikita Nesterov's and so on without believing they're helping you. There's just a long history here of Bergevin seeing value in mediocre defenders.

The only upside is that MB and TT seem to have invested more into quality defenders higher in the draft of late. Romanov is a guy TT was apparently high on and convinced Bergevin to take. Norlinder is another that falls outside of Bergevin's typical mould, as is Harris. These are more modern-day defencemen, so there's some hope for the future there. Guhle, on the other hand, and maybe Struble and Fleury, fall back into the steady, tough kind of player I would more expect MB to choose, so I don't think he's necessarily given up on that either.

Very hard to make trades in all likelihood, but also easier for the American teams to accept Canadian players because the quarantine is shorter the other way. A guy that just makes a lot of sense for us right now is Vince Dunn. So if Bergevin is willing to accept 14 days without him and St. Louis is rumored to want to move him, then offering them Chiarot (if they want a bigger player) or Mete (if they still want a mobile guy just a different one) seems like a useful start to a negotiation. We'd likely have to add another asset in, but Dunn is a cheaper asset who instantly fits in better with Weber than Chiarot does now. I still see Dumba as a quality target. Fowler would have been if he hadn't signed the big extension. Lindholm in Anaheim could be another although not as great a fit for me and same for Jonas Brodin, who has also been discussed before. Jake Bean in Carolina, where they have a deep defence, could be another player of interest. Some options there, but almost all would require moving Chiarot out the other way or someone else for cap space.

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I'd love to know what the  players are thinking. 

Considering how many looked to be playing as if they had lost the plot, i would hope they are excited about a new direction. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Considering how many looked to be playing as if they had lost the plot, i would hope they are excited about a new direction. 

Unless they all already don't like Ducharme. Hopefully that's not the case.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

There's video on Sportsnet.ca. Not that you really need video. It's just MB sat down with a mic.

On my SNs it's poker. 

Based on what MB is saying in the presser, unless something goes horribly wrong, i think Ducharme gets the team for the season.  They will revisit the "interim" tag in the off season so that presumably means he's not looking at bringing someone else in. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Based on what MB is saying in the presser, unless something goes horribly wrong, i think Ducharme gets the team for the season.  They will revisit the "interim" tag in the off season so that presumably means he's not looking at bringing someone else in. 

TSN 690 said earlier that some media reached out to Patrick to see if he was interested and he said he was. :lol:

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Makes sense. I wouldn't have expected anything else. So... Ducharme gets the rest of the regular season and potentially the playoffs to show if he's NHL head coach material.

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Makes sense. I wouldn't have expected anything else. So... Ducharme gets the rest of the regular season and potentially the playoffs to show if he's NHL head coach material.

pretty much.

Its interesting that it seems like MB was planning this for a while - even before the break - but he gave Julien & Muller a chance to sort things out.  of course some of us may say that that week long break would have been a great time for Ducharme & co to put their plan into place but...

Im curious to see if DD goes back to a more standard man-to-man system vs Julien's zone system which can be tricky for some players to adapt to... 

Just now, maas_art said:

pretty much.

Its interesting that it seems like MB was planning this for a while - even before the break - but he gave Julien & Muller a chance to sort things out.  of course some of us may say that that week long break would have been a great time for Ducharme & co to put their plan into place but...

Im curious to see if DD goes back to a more standard man-to-man system vs Julien's zone system which can be tricky for some players to adapt to... 

It's a no-win game when you make decisions as the GM of the Montreal Canadiens, though. You make a decision, the fanbase and media will find a way to tear into you. You make the opposite decision, the same thing will happen.

I'm fine with the timing of the decision. The team was solid 5-on-5. I feel like Claude deserves credit for that. I feel like that earned him the extra week to sort it out.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Very hard to make trades in all likelihood, but also easier for the American teams to accept Canadian players because the quarantine is shorter the other way. A guy that just makes a lot of sense for us right now is Vince Dunn. So if Bergevin is willing to accept 14 days without him and St. Louis is rumored to want to move him, then offering them Chiarot (if they want a bigger player) or Mete (if they still want a mobile guy just a different one) seems like a useful start to a negotiation. We'd likely have to add another asset in, but Dunn is a cheaper asset who instantly fits in better with Weber than Chiarot does now. I still see Dumba as a quality target. Fowler would have been if he hadn't signed the big extension. Lindholm in Anaheim could be another although not as great a fit for me and same for Jonas Brodin, who has also been discussed before. Jake Bean in Carolina, where they have a deep defence, could be another player of interest. Some options there, but almost all would require moving Chiarot out the other way or someone else for cap space.

We are not out of the playoffs with Vancouver, and Ottawa floundering. I've been saying we should go after Dunn in an earlier post to give up Chiarot and even toss in one of our 2nd round to 4th round draft choices to make it work and can live with Mete for 14 days, as he alone won't be responsible for a further slide. I like the Carolina option for Jake Bean - they have a plethora of LD players and have the cap room for Chiarot with a bit of salary retention. We are not getting the others IMO due to their long term contracts and cap space. I would love Evan Bouchard but I don't see Edmonton and Montreal as trading partners within this division - I don't think there is much out there for immediate help. 

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic