Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Recommended Posts

Agree that we are a top team 5 on 5. What needs to be addressed immediately are the special teams play, and overall team discipline. You can't keep averaging over 10 minutes every game in the box.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Agree that we are a top team 5 on 5. What needs to be addressed immediately are the special teams play, and overall team discipline. You can't keep averaging over 10 minutes every game in the box.

Agreed. Our parade to the box is hurting us big time. Our special teams are junk (again). I wonder if Ducharme can get it sorted out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Chantal Macabee: it was Ducharme's idea to start the season with a more offensive mindset.

Julien went along with it, but then presumably got scared about "defensive responsbibilities" and circled back to his defensive ways...

 

If true thats promising. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

According to Chantal Macabee: it was Ducharme's idea to start the season with a more offensive mindset.

Julien went along with it, but then presumably got scared about "defensive responsbibilities" and circled back to his defensive ways...

 

If true thats promising. 

Yeaaaaahhhhh. We'll see. Sounds like media made-up mumbo jumbo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maas_art said:

According to Chantal Macabee: it was Ducharme's idea to start the season with a more offensive mindset.

Julien went along with it, but then presumably got scared about "defensive responsbibilities" and circled back to his defensive ways...

 

If true thats promising. 

And that's a problem with a slow D that has issues moving the puck when the forwards don't all commit to helping out. The last few games we were pinned into our zone numerous times and not able to clear. Too many plays along the boards that other teams were able to intercept without being challenged. Hopefully that's addressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeaaaaahhhhh. We'll see. Sounds like media made-up mumbo jumbo.

If it wasnt for the complete change in the way the team played, id agree, but something happened after 10 or 12 games or so. The team just changed.  All those players dont just suddenly decide to stop playing the same way. The system was changed on them & i wouldnt be surprised at all if Claude didnt like the fact we were letting in so many goals/odd man rushes.  Like back at the olympics where the team could have probably dominated but was content to just win 2-1 and 1-0 games and play safe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

And that's a problem with a slow D that has issues moving the puck when the forwards don't all commit to helping out. The last few games we were pinned into our zone numerous times and not able to clear. Too many plays along the boards that other teams were able to intercept without being challenged. Hopefully that's addressed.

Ya, numerous times they had a safe outlet, but just kept doing the same things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

And that's a problem with a slow D that has issues moving the puck when the forwards don't all commit to helping out. The last few games we were pinned into our zone numerous times and not able to clear. Too many plays along the boards that other teams were able to intercept without being challenged. Hopefully that's addressed.

Yup. As BigTed mentioned in another thread, Im not particularly concerned up front - even if they dont get the combos you want, every centre is going to get quality wingers with the depth we have - but on the blueline... thats where we need to see some changes.   Will Weber get a PMD (I mean, by our standards a PMD like Kulak or Romanov)? Or do we keep up this 3 slow players in our top 4 nonsense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, claremont said:

Presser - DD says Luke Richardson will continue to advise on the PK (hasn't been terrible, we just take a lot of penalties), but Alex Burrows will run the PP

Burrows could be the wild card in all this. If he can come up with even an average plan that at least makes us a threat, that's a game changer IMO. Team discipline will help solve our PK problems. Too many consecutive calls against us makes it tough to defend,,, not to mention the 5 on 3's we've given up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Burrows could be the wild card in all this. If he can come up with even an average plan that at least makes us a threat, that's a game changer IMO. Team discipline will help solve our PK problems. Too many consecutive calls against us makes it tough to defend,,, not to mention the 5 on 3's we've given up.

What is Burrows' background coaching anywho? I just remember him as a pest playing in Vancouver (...and Ottawa?).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya, numerous times they had a safe outlet, but just kept doing the same things. 

Exactly, or they just hold on to the puck for what seems like ages only to be stripped from behind. One, two, three quick short  passes and your out of there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What is Burrows' background coaching anywho? I just remember him as a pest playing in Vancouver (...and Ottawa?).

Almost nil. Just limited experience as Joel Bouchard's assistant I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What is Burrows' background coaching anywho? I just remember him as a pest playing in Vancouver (...and Ottawa?).

I don't know. That's why i said wild card. Can he be much worse then what Muller has been able to do for what seems forever?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HabsAlways said:

And don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for Julien either ... but a coaching change is not necessarily going to fix Carey Price's awful play.

But it may get us more starts for the goaltender who's been performing better! B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

And don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for Julien either ... but a coaching change is not necessarily going to fix Carey Price's awful play.

No, and that's why i think they should have considered Waite in the cleansing. Maybe the message has become stale there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What is Burrows' background coaching anywho? I just remember him as a pest playing in Vancouver (...and Ottawa?).

Burrows is bilingual but has limited assistant coaching in Laval. He would bring some familiarity with those Laval players - most likely Poehling. He was a 25 goal scorer in his playing days. Sometimes the best coaches are those that had to work for everything and he may be that fit (unlike Gretzky or Orr or many other stars that did not know how to teach vs. natural ability or expected too much too soon. I hope he turns out to be a good teacher at this level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

No, and that's why i think they should have considered Waite in the cleansing. Maybe the message has become stale there too.

Unless Price actually wanted Julien gone and was dialing it in due to that

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Unless Price actually wanted Julien gone and was dialing it in due to that

If i suspected him of doing that i'd park his butt permanently until he agreed to waive his NMC. No excuse for a guy making 10 million, especially when the coach keeps coming back to you despite your play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

According to Chantal Macabee: it was Ducharme's idea to start the season with a more offensive mindset.

 

From his presser i got the impression he's going to lean that way once again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, H_T_L said:

From his presser i got the impression he's going to lean that way once again.

:freu1::freu1::freu1:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Presser - Ducharme was asked what would he do different vs Julien - he was evasive on the first part saying that the difference will be in the on ice results. but in a subsequent question, he said he loved offense, and that the team needs to play fast. He wants the puck carrier to have more options, and to spend less time in our defensive zone. I suspect he may play the 4th line perhaps a little less than Julien. By his answer, I expect him to want more puck movers from the defense.

Ducharme's primary coaching responsibilities were as the pre-game scout on tendencies and strategies. So if Luke has the PK and Dale Weise commented that Burrows was a great coach especially on the PP in Laval, then we should see some differences IF the players can implement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...