The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I missed the presser, anyone know if its available somewhere?

I tried Youtube but it's not there. It might be later tho. The presser is about 1:15 mins. long, so not sure if you can find it all. 

Edited by kinot-2

So happy we made a change! I think this is going to work well if Chantal from RDS reported that Douche wanted a more offensive system I would tend think it is right on she has been covering the team for many years and is a solid journalist. you could see the change roughly after the first ten games we went from good and fast to slow and CJ like. Claude is a nice guy but the game has passed him by

56 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Unless Price actually wanted Julien gone and was dialing it in due to that

As a professional I dont think anybody was "purposely" playing badly but i get the sense they were almost all frustrated. That frustration could mean a little less hustle or a little more confusion among the skaters but it could also mean a couple more goals against for Price. 

I dont expect a full rebound but i would not actually be surprised to see him play a lot better in the coming weeks. 

16 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So happy we made a change! I think this is going to work well if Chantal from RDS reported that Douche wanted a more offensive system I would tend think it is right on she has been covering the team for many years and is a solid journalist. you could see the change roughly after the first ten games we went from good and fast to slow and CJ like. Claude is a nice guy but the game has passed him by

I feel like we need a better nickname for Ducharme... :4224:

45 minutes ago, claremont said:

Presser - Ducharme was asked what would he do different vs Julien - he was evasive on the first part saying that the difference will be in the on ice results. but in a subsequent question, he said he loved offense, and that the team needs to play fast. He wants the puck carrier to have more options, and to spend less time in our defensive zone. I suspect he may play the 4th line perhaps a little less than Julien. By his answer, I expect him to want more puck movers from the defense.

Ducharme's primary coaching responsibilities were as the pre-game scout on tendencies and strategies. So if Luke has the PK and Dale Weise commented that Burrows was a great coach especially on the PP in Laval, then we should see some differences IF the players can implement.

Re the bolded part... im guessing (hoping) that means Chairot may bounce down a couple of pairings... 

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Re the bolded part... im guessing (hoping) that means Chairot may bounce down a couple of pairings... 

Man, I hope so, and I think Ducharme will play his youth vs. CJ drooled over the veteran players, so let's hope Romanov responds and elevates his game with some rushes. AR is not an offensive dynamo but he is a better skater than he has shown on the back end in the last 10 games

23 minutes ago, claremont said:

Man, I hope so, and I think Ducharme will play his youth vs. CJ drooled over the veteran players, so let's hope Romanov responds and elevates his game with some rushes. AR is not an offensive dynamo but he is a better skater than he has shown on the back end in the last 10 games

For sure. I think it may take a few games but i would not be surprised to see one or Romanov or Kulak in the top 4.  Heck, dare we dream both?  Petry-Kulak, Romanov-Weber should work a heck of a lot better than what we've been seeing.

23 minutes ago, habby67 said:

If we're gonna have a lot more odd man rushes against us they better plan on firing Weber out of a cannon:4322:

Haha. Thing is, we've been putting ourselves in a bad situation, specifically with Weber - Chairot. You have two slow defensmen. One is a perfectly fine NHL defensman but more like a #4-6 guy. The other, while he used to be elite, has slowed down a lot. His positioning (up till this year at least) was still superb so he could make up for that foot speed.  I think if you partner Shea with Romanov, Kulak or even Mete and say to that PMD "go for it" then you tell Shea to just hang back, keep it simple.  You have Shea weber only worrying about his own positioning, not the other guy's. That should help.   If we go back to the much more common man-to-man coverage vs the zone we've been doing that should also help Shea.  

He's still never going to be nashville shea weber - that guy is gone - but he can be an effective #2-3 guy for a few more years Im confident. He just needs help to do that. Saddling him with Chairot is not helping. 

Has anyone read that article saying Price was a coach killer? I am starting to believe he is. Is Price one of the good ones? Quite possibly. Is he great? I am not so sure. However, it's hard to gauge Price's status based on some of the average and poor teams in front of him. Some of the goals he let in this season have nothing to do with poor or average D. The team should be playing up tempo hockey with quick breakouts but what I fear is they will allow a lot of odd man rushes and with the slow D we have, the tactics may cancel out and we may be average at best. It's time right NOW to get quicker on our back end. Weber skates like he is in quicksand and with the exception of Romanov and maybe Mete they are all slow. Either very fast and young D are needed or some forwards who can cover for the defensemen who are caught up ice. 

Edited by habby67
1 hour ago, habby67 said:

Has anyone read that article saying Price was a coach killer? I am starting to believe he is. Is Price one of the good ones? Quite possibly. Is he great? I am not so sure. However, it's hard to gauge Price's status based on some of the average and poor teams in front of him. Some of the goals he let in this season have nothing to do with poor or average D. The team should be playing up tempo hockey with quick breakouts but what I fear is they will allow a lot of odd man rushes and with the slow D we have, the tactics may cancel out and we may be average at best. It's time right NOW to get quicker on our back end. Weber skates like he is in quicksand and with the exception of Romanov and maybe Mete they are all slow. Either very fast and young D are needed or some forwards who can cover for the defensemen who are caught up ice. 

Ya know, I heard that just before Therrien was fired, we were in a slump, and when CJ was hired, we came out of it. It might be just a coincidence, but you never know.

Julien has had enough time to get this team figured out, but it appears he is the easiest problem to fix at the moment.  I like Ducharme and he will not be able to do much worse. The trade deadline may be interesting if we continue to fall. Julien would have likely been let go at the end of last year had we not been given a playoff spot. It was definitely time to move on. It will be interesting to see what Muller decides to do,

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

As a professional I dont think anybody was "purposely" playing badly but i get the sense they were almost all frustrated. That frustration could mean a little less hustle or a little more confusion among the skaters but it could also mean a couple more goals against for Price. 

I dont expect a full rebound but i would not actually be surprised to see him play a lot better in the coming weeks. 

4 years ago, CP was in a funk, and that coincided with Therrien being let go. Coincidence?

Burrows: Berry frosty when he wants to be. Should be an improvement over Muller who had the Handshake out everywhere.

Ducharme: 18 across in the crossword puzzle. Julien more like 44 down. It'll take some time for the D to gather steam but going forward I think a positive attitude from our money guys could be the charm. In earlier years we'd get to the all star break and make a fresh start. This crazy season and all these games against the Jets.....? Snap...Not so sure...

So.. Concentrate on the PP no matter what the future plans are ...to my mind

9 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Julien has had enough time to get this team figured out, but it appears he is the easiest problem to fix at the moment.  I like Ducharme and he will not be able to do much worse. The trade deadline may be interesting if we continue to fall. Julien would have likely been let go at the end of last year had we not been given a playoff spot. It was definitely time to move on. It will be interesting to see what Muller decides to do,

Yep, that’s what I thought too. Pretty sure MB was ready to move on after our little playoff run without Julien behind the bench, but he couldn’t really because ‘optics’. That’s probably why he didn’t hesitate and canned him that early in the season. It‘s the right move I think, not sure if he did lose the room at some point but the boys certainly didn’t play for the coach either.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, electron58 said:

4 years ago, CP was in a funk, and that coincided with Therrien being let go. Coincidence?

I wouldnt say coincidence, but it  also doesnt mean its intentional.  Look at the goals CP let in this year. a few were stinkers yes but most of them were just regular old goals -they werent particularly his fault - but ones we'd expect a $10m goalie to stop- and ones he regularly stops when he's "on." 

Goal is a game of inches. If a goalie is unhappy with the situation- like if he thinks the team is not playing to its strengths - even if he is trying to put in the effort, if he's a little bit off, his game will suffer.  

I'm not expecting any major defensive changes for tonight's game, just not enough time for DD to instill his system fully on the team.  MB missed the opportunity to do this properly by firing JC before the Habs had a week long break if had been truly tossing this idea around before hand.  This would have given DD an entire 4 days to put his mark on the team before any games

22 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I'm not expecting any major defensive changes for tonight's game, just not enough time for DD to instill his system fully on the team.  MB missed the opportunity to do this properly by firing JC before the Habs had a week long break if had been truly tossing this idea around before hand.  This would have given DD an entire 4 days to put his mark on the team before any games

Unless of course you believe he did have a big hand in that first 10 games or so, as some are reporting. In which case he's just pushing them back to a system they already played this year. I agree that they wont make any major changes until they have time to work on things but its not like DD is coming in to a whole new situation. I could see him switching a few lines/pairs right off the bat. 

Habs Projected Lines vs. Jets
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Perry
Lehkonen - Byron - Armia

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Romanov

Price
Allen
Scratches: Evans, Mete

as per tsn