The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sat. 10:00 p.m. vs the Jets

H_T_L

Just now, caperns61 said:

I thought we fired Julien, Danuault starts OT, are you kidding me,...

Had Armia and Petry also. Not a bad idea to win a draw get possession than switch on the fly. That was probably the thought. He generally is our best face off player. Possession to start is huge 3 on 3. Any way we actually did play a solid game overall. 

1 minute ago, CaptWelly said:

Had Armia and Petry also. Not a bad idea to win a draw get possession than switch on the fly. That was probably the thought. He generally is our best face off player. Possession to start is huge 3 on 3. Any way we actually did play a solid game overall. 

^^^ This.

3 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

And how did that work out? 

3 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It is just sooo frustrating, we out played them the entire game and deserved the win but cause of a poor player selection in OT we lose. I get what you are saying but I don't think Danault was all that great in the circle tonight (I don't have the stats though). It seemed like Evans was the best again.

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

It is just sooo frustrating, we out played them the entire game and deserved the win but cause of a poor player selection in OT we lose. I get what you are saying but I don't think Danault was all that great in the circle tonight (I don't have the stats though). It seemed like Evans was the best again.

He may not of been last night , but unfortunately Suzuki and JK which I assume is who everyone wants both need to work on this area. For all the "puck possession" groups I would say starting out with the puck at least in OT is huge. Because the stupid 3 on 3 it's hard to regain possession. Everyone just circles back and back ect. With that much open space by "logic" Byron should always be out there having his speed. It's disappointing but we shouldn't of needed OT last night. DD may also have thought 1st possession change usually when the other team changes Suzuki ect. may have had a better match up. The team played hard and looked solid tonight. I'm not concerned about the OT portion if we keep playing in regulation as we did we should win in regulation. Another if (which has been our downfall all season, more than OT deployment) we can stop taking stupid penalties we'll win a lot more. 

• H_T_L unpinned this topic

I thought last night was by far one of the best efforts we have put out over the last 9 games. They looked really good other than the performance of Petry. The speed was there, the breakout were really good and the transition through the neutral zone was good. Considering this is the second game under the new coach I was impressed with the manner in which they played and changed the system so quickly. If figured that it would take up to 3-5 games to see any significant change. This second game effort was great and although the outcome was not what we all wanted we did come away with a point although I thought we deserved more. We outplayed them all night and finally put in a 60 min effort! The goal they scored was created by a beautiful screen by Romanov. Unfortunately a rookie mistake. If you are moving into the shot lane then block it or get out of the way. He was out of position and that was costly. Also the number of shots (41) were made up of a  lot of perimeter shots and you are not going to score on the Vezina winner from that distance unless you get in his face. That did not happen. Petry was brutal last night and created the opportunity for the power play goal. Also made a couple of real bad clearing choices which could have cost us a goal. I wonder if he and Price are drinking the same water? He has not been playing like the 6th highest rated D in the NHL lately.

The OT was not good and the goal was a bad one however that is the bounces you get with 3 on 3 in OT. As indicated possession is the name of the game in OT and not only did we lose it but did not do well in getting it back. It was over in a heart beat. I think if the team continues with the play of last night our losing streak has come to an end here. I see some positive indications after last night that could lead to a string of wins coming up. We have Ottawa on Tues and then another back to back with the Jets on the weekend. I am going to stay positive and see three wins this week although home ice has not been our friend for the past two years? Also I am hoping that Price stays on the bench this week and DD alows Allen to continue with his solid efforts to date. I think we may have turned the corner and now we should settle into a pattern here. I will be very surpised if we regress.

3 hours ago, richard464 said:

I thought last night was by far one of the best efforts we have put out over the last 9 games. They looked really good other than the performance of Petry. The speed was there, the breakout were really good and the transition through the neutral zone was good. Considering this is the second game under the new coach I was impressed with the manner in which they played and changed the system so quickly. If figured that it would take up to 3-5 games to see any significant change. This second game effort was great and although the outcome was not what we all wanted we did come away with a point although I thought we deserved more. We outplayed them all night and finally put in a 60 min effort! The goal they scored was created by a beautiful screen by Romanov. Unfortunately a rookie mistake. If you are moving into the shot lane then block it or get out of the way. He was out of position and that was costly. Also the number of shots (41) were made up of a  lot of perimeter shots and you are not going to score on the Vezina winner from that distance unless you get in his face. That did not happen. Petry was brutal last night and created the opportunity for the power play goal. Also made a couple of real bad clearing choices which could have cost us a goal. I wonder if he and Price are drinking the same water? He has not been playing like the 6th highest rated D in the NHL lately.

The OT was not good and the goal was a bad one however that is the bounces you get with 3 on 3 in OT. As indicated possession is the name of the game in OT and not only did we lose it but did not do well in getting it back. It was over in a heart beat. I think if the team continues with the play of last night our losing streak has come to an end here. I see some positive indications after last night that could lead to a string of wins coming up. We have Ottawa on Tues and then another back to back with the Jets on the weekend. I am going to stay positive and see three wins this week although home ice has not been our friend for the past two years? Also I am hoping that Price stays on the bench this week and DD alows Allen to continue with his solid efforts to date. I think we may have turned the corner and now we should settle into a pattern here. I will be very surpised if we regress.

I pretty much agree with all this. Let Allen continue to play. Let Carey have the second game of the back to back. Get the win with Allen we need all the wins now. I hope this pushes Carey like when he and Halak used to. Now Halak is doing that with Rask.