The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Player safety decisions.

Good chunk of Jets fans in an uproar over this decision. Many drank the Maurice coolaid and considered it a clean hit. One  even posted that because Evans didn't end up at the hospital he should have been fined for embellishment. Classy.:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Good chunk of Jets fans in an uproar over this decision. Many drank the Maurice coolaid and considered it a clean hit. One  even posted that because Evans didn't end up at the hospital he should have been fined for embellishment. Classy.:rolleyes:

Yeah that’s Manitoba for you.

DoPS:

"“We have heard Scheifele’s argument that he gathers speed and gains momentum in order to make a legitimate defensive play and attempt to prevent a goal from being scored. However, as Evans comes around the net with the puck, Scheifele does not attempt to make a play on the puck with his stick. Instead he takes one hand off his stick, turns his shoulder and loads up for contact. His choice to not makes a play on the puck tells us that he’s conceding the empty-net goal. It’s apparent to our department that his intention on this play is to deliver a hard, violent check to an opponent, with the outcome of the play and the game already having been decided.”

Habs fans feel shortchanged by Scheifele's 4 game suspension.  But if this was offered before the hearing, would you take it :lol:?  Let's be honest, it's already more than what many expected from DoPS :P.

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

Habs fans feel shortchanged by Scheifele's 4 game suspension.  But if this was offered before the hearing, would you take it :lol:?  Let's be honest, it's already more than what many expected from DoPS :P.

True. & he will still have to answer the bell for it, whether this year,  or next year. You just knew, that it wouldn't be enough. There just isn't any consistency. Shouldn't matter,  if you are a first time offender,  or not. 4 games, for a rink long dash? Might give someone an idea.

David Krecji with a clear spear to Matt Barzal's groin area. He was given a major penalty. Then the league reviews it and rescinds the major and gives him a minor penalty for slashing. Not sure on what basis. It was clearly a spear. Bruins getting off easy again.

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

Scheifele still believes that he was wronged! What a tool.

Yeah, he doesn't seem to have any remorse about the whole situation. He's trying to paint himself as a victim when he deliberately gave a 25 year-old kid a traumatic brain injury on his birthday for no good reason other than that Scheifele was angry he himself wasn't playing well. It's bordering on sociopathic at this point.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

David Krecji with a clear spear to Matt Barzal's groin area. He was given a major penalty. Then the league reviews it and rescinds the major and gives him a minor penalty for slashing. Not sure on what basis. It was clearly a spear. Bruins getting off easy again.

Certainly not a Bruins fan, but after taking about  6 crosschecks in a row, 3 by Barzal and nothing called, I probably would have reacted that way to. I dont think it was that bad, And I really think Barzal played that to the fans and refs. I would have given both of them a minor. Barzal could have gotten one for the crosscheck and embellishment.

3 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Certainly not a Bruins fan, but after taking about  6 crosschecks in a row, 3 by Barzal and nothing called, I probably would have reacted that way to. I dont think it was that bad, And I really think Barzal played that to the fans and refs. I would have given both of them a minor. Barzal could have gotten one for the crosscheck and embellishment.

Don't think that was embellishment, that gesture would tend to hurt quite a bit, so going to give him the benefit of the doubt there. I agree with you that Bazal could have and should have been given a penalty for cross-checking. It doesn't mean that what Krejci did wasn't a spear and there is zero reason why the penalty should have been overturned and called a slash. That was a spear in every sense of the word. I have no issue if the refs wanted to give Barzal a minor, but Krejci's penalty should have stood as a major.

Krejci fined $5,000 for actions in Bruins game

Forward penalized maximum for slashing Islanders center Barzal in Game 4.

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Krejci fined $5,000 for actions in Bruins game

Forward penalized maximum for slashing Islanders center Barzal in Game 4.

These fines are just stupid. The players don't care about it. The guy makes 7.25M a year. The average Canadian salary is about 54k, which is equivalent to about 45k American. So to put this in perspective, this is the equivalent of fining the average Canadian $31 US dollars for purposely injuring someone. Is this really a deterrent? Nope. Does it hurt his team in any way? Nope. Does a gesture like this potentially hurt another team's player and hurt their chances of winning? Possible. Zero deterrent to keep doing this.

Boston Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy has been fined $25,000 for publicly criticizing the officiating of his team's second-round series against the New York Islanders, the league announced Tuesday. Cassidy's comments came after Game 5 on Monday, a 5-4 Islanders win that gave New York a 3-2 series lead.

56 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Boston Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy has been fined $25,000 for publicly criticizing the officiating of his team's second-round series against the New York Islanders, the league announced Tuesday. Cassidy's comments came after Game 5 on Monday, a 5-4 Islanders win that gave New York a 3-2 series lead.

And here's the crazy part of all this. Players get fined a max of 5000 for things like crosschecking but coaches or GM's get 5 times (and more) that amount for venting against an inferior product like the reffing or sometimes ridiculous calls by PODS. Maybe it's time for a coaches union to stand up to Bettman's cronies?

Just to be clear here,,, i'm in no way defending a Bruins coach. Anybody from that team can be punished as much as possible IMO :lol:.

On 6/6/2021 at 3:11 PM, BigTed3 said:

These fines are just stupid. The players don't care about it. The guy makes 7.25M a year. The average Canadian salary is about 54k, which is equivalent to about 45k American. So to put this in perspective, this is the equivalent of fining the average Canadian $31 US dollars for purposely injuring someone. Is this really a deterrent? Nope. Does it hurt his team in any way? Nope. Does a gesture like this potentially hurt another team's player and hurt their chances of winning? Possible. Zero deterrent to keep doing this.

17 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

And here's the crazy part of all this. Players get fined a max of 5000 for things like crosschecking but coaches or GM's get 5 times (and more) that amount for venting against an inferior product like the reffing or sometimes ridiculous calls by PODS. Maybe it's time for a coaches union to stand up to Bettman's cronies?

Just to be clear here,,, i'm in no way defending a Bruins coach. Anybody from that team can be punished as much as possible IMO :lol:.

You'll have to address this in the next CBA.  I know everytime DPS puts out one of these fines they underscore it by mentioning its the maximum allowable under the current CBA.  I dont think the coaches, teams or owners have any limit on their fines. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

BTW Schefele will miss the first game of the next season since he only served 3 of his 4 game suspension. 

Should be 2 games since the league deems playoff games more valuable.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:11 PM, BigTed3 said:

spot on right !

• 3 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic