The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Player safety decisions.

49 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

But, he hit the guy right in the face, the guy didn't even see it coming. 

I was being sarcastic. I agree he should have got games rather then that standard star penalty of 5000.00

Don Cherry would say its the instigator rule that hurt hockey. Just to let you know I am from Nova Scotia. Ya I did not like the 5000 for MCdavid. I think the 5000 for McKinnon was even worse. Throwing the helmut at someones face is disgusting. Certainly worth 3 games minimum in my mind. 

After these to 5000 dollar fines, what is left. An obvious elbow cheap shot to the head with intent and a helmut thrown at someones face with intent. Total 10000 dollar fine. Disgusting. 

Put in rules and follow them. This is no different then upper class versus lower class. Different rules apply. sad but true, society is not making changes and sport can be disgusting

21 hours ago, ChiLla said:

At least that would sting a little I‘d say. Maybe they should directly tie it to a percentage of the player‘s salary to keep it fair. I dunno, but a 5k fine is just a farce and serves no purpose IMO.

Can we throw in 10 - 20 games suspensions depending on the severity of the infraction?  

10 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Put in rules and follow them. This is no different then upper class versus lower class. Different rules apply. sad but true, society is not making changes and sport can be disgusting

Good analogy. Couldn't have put it any better. 

From the Edmonton Sun:

Someone's created a GoFundMe to pay the $5,000 fine #Oilers captain Connor McDavid was given for his hit to the head of Jesperi Kotkaniemi Monday. FWIW, McDavid will make $12.5 million this season.

Dollars raised as of today at 12:30 est, $15. 

52 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

From the Edmonton Sun:

Someone's created a GoFundMe to pay the $5,000 fine #Oilers captain Connor McDavid was given for his hit to the head of Jesperi Kotkaniemi Monday. FWIW, McDavid will make $12.5 million this season.

Dollars raised as of today at 12:30 est, $15. 

Connor-McDavid-elbon-against-Montreal-Canadiens.jpg

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

We laugh but this League is so pathetic with their discipline it wouldn't be surprising.

I'm sorry.  Couldn't help myself. I had to laugh. And yes, I agree.  The player safety committee is so pathetic. (was I wrong to laugh?)

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Take a look at the tom

wilson cheap shot against the Rangers  Monday night . Let’s see if he gets disciplined 

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Take a look at the tom

wilson cheap shot against the Rangers  Monday night . Let’s see if he gets disciplined 

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

He's such a cement head! How does this guy stay in the NHL? He's a thug!

Tom Wilson needs to be suspended. Again.

Not only does he punch a prone player when he's down, he then almost kills Panarin with a body-slam after tearing off his helmet. Then he has to mock the Rangers from the penalty box. I don't know how you could be his teammate and let this stuff slide.

Just read that Panarin had to leave the game with a LBI following Wilson's antics. I mean, why even bother anymore with those rulings? Repeat offender, multiple suspensions and fines, yet he gets another one after punching a defenseless opponent in the neck and bravely taking out another one half his size and weight. I don't care about the Rangers one bit but that 5k fine literally adds insult to injury. Seeing the guy standing there and taunting the opponent makes we wanna throw up. Sportsmanship? Not in the NHL apparently.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Tom Wilson needs to be suspended. Again.

Not only does he punch a prone player when he's down, he then almost kills Panarin with a body-slam after tearing off his helmet. Then he has to mock the Rangers from the penalty box. I don't know how you could be his teammate and let this stuff slide.

1 hour ago, richard464 said:

This guy has a problem and should have been suspended for the season. The NHL is really screwing up on this dicipline process. :5064:

How does anybody think Tom Wilson is tough?  He hits guys from behind, when they arent looking, or in this case when they are vulnerable.  Thats not tough. Thats an embarrassment.  Even after the scrum, he throws punches at the opposing player who has lost his helmet, from behind/above, with gloves on.

Dude needs to be suspended for an entire year. Cherry will probably praise him.   There's something severely broken with DPS if they thought that was worth a fine.  Thats a suspension for ANY player - that should be a lengthy one for a gutless piece of trash like Wilson.   

Id be embarrassed to be a washington fan. 

The league is gonna end up with another Marty McSorley-Donald Brashear or Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident eventually. Players around the league will determine they'll have to take matters into their own hands because the referees and player safety are terrible.

Ryan Strome and David Quinn feel like the NHL player safety response was a joke. I doubt anything goes off in their next game against the Caps, but someday it will go off. It'll be another situation, with other teams, and something ugly will happen.

I have no issues with the fine TBH, don't think he deserved a suspension.  Yes he punched a player in the back of the head with a helmet on, but only after that player continued to dig for the puck after the goalie made the save.  I like to see the players stand up for the goalies, and it's about time as well!!

As far as the Panarin incident, Wilson could have absolutely throttled him instead he shook him a few times and they fell to the ice, I believe this was more of a case of losing his balance more than anything.  I am far from a Wilson fan but in the case I would side with him 100%

42 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I have no issues with the fine TBH, don't think he deserved a suspension.  Yes he punched a player in the back of the head with a helmet on, but only after that player continued to dig for the puck after the goalie made the save.  I like to see the players stand up for the goalies, and it's about time as well!!

Did you watch it in slow motion?  It happens fast but if you look at the replay above starting at around 1:37 he slams Buchnevich face first into the ice & then punches him in the head for good measure. At this point Buchnevich could have been unconscious - Wilson has no way of knowing after he went face first into the ice.  Thats suspension worthy imo.

I have no problem with guys sticking up for their teammates/goalies but doing in when someone is vulnerable is gutless and dangerous.

48 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

As far as the Panarin incident, Wilson could have absolutely throttled him instead he shook him a few times and they fell to the ice, I believe this was more of a case of losing his balance more than anything.  I am far from a Wilson fan but in the case I would side with him 100%

Ok, I'll bite. Watch the video again, Buchnevich didn't continue to dig for the puck – the goalie didn't even make the save. The puck was right there and Buchnevich didn't even have his stick on the ice, it was lifted before so this isn't about someone running your goalie after a good save.

As for Panarin, I'm not even going there. They have the man advantage, he's their best forward and checks in at what... 170 pounds? Wilson is built like a gorilla and has like 50 pounds on him. Wow, impressive that he didn't absolutely throttle Panarin but only 'shook' him a few times. Wilson actually slammed him to the ice and landed a punch afterwards, Panarin didn't coincidentally lose his balance.

Wilson is an embarassement and has proven just that repeatedly. There's no place anywhere for that kind of stuff, which outside the world of hockey is considered assault and battery for a reason.

• H_T_L locked this topic