Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Player safety decisions.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ryan Strome and David Quinn feel like the NHL player safety response was a joke. I doubt anything goes off in their next game against the Caps, but someday it will go off. It'll be another situation, with other teams, and something ugly will happen.

I hate to say it, but the only way something will happen, is if somebody takes the situation  into their own hands, and targets the other team's best player, whether a slew foot or a hit from behind. Crazy to even suggest it. Just when you think  Player Safety decisions had reached a new low, they find a way to go even lower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Did you watch it in slow motion?  It happens fast but if you look at the replay above starting at around 1:37 he slams Buchnevich face first into the ice & then punches him in the head for good measure. At this point Buchnevich could have been unconscious - Wilson has no way of knowing after he went face first into the ice.  Thats suspension worthy imo.


I have no problem with guys sticking up for their teammates/goalies but doing in when someone is vulnerable is gutless and dangerous.

Exactly. It was definitely a cowardly act.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

As far as the Panarin incident, Wilson could have absolutely throttled him instead he shook him a few times and they fell to the ice, I believe this was more of a case of losing his balance more than anything.  I am far from a Wilson fan but in the case I would side with him 100%

Are you kidding me?  Did you even watch the replay?  Wilson grabs Panarin by the hair, and proceeds to slam him to the ice. Protecting his goalie? It was a cowardly act and the department of player safety dropped the ball, yet again! It's too bad there are no Proberts around to make him accountable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were TWO separate transgressions that were both dangerous and each could have and should have resulted in a long suspension (40+ games). With Buchnevich, he drops his weight onto Buchnevich's neck while he's down. That could have easily snapped his spine and/or paralyzed him. Then he grabs Panarin by the hair and yanks him backwards, smashing his head on the ice without a helmet on. Could have led to a concussion, fractured skull, or bleed in the brain.

Both acts of violence were intentional, avoidable, and extremely high risk of causing serious injury. Panarin supposedly has an injury that will keep him out, although don't know if that's a head issue, knee issue or other. Add onto that that Wilson is a multiple repeat offender. He should be gone for the year and well into next season. Everyone in the NHL believes it except for the DoPS.

Here's a great statement from the Rangers:

Image

 

Good on them for having the courage to call out the league for their BS ruling.

Interestingly, former player and ref Paul Stewart also called out the league today and said they didn't do their job and that Wilson is a spineless coward. Then he went on to say that everyone in the league knows Parros is a puppet and that the real person who has been making these calls the entire time (whether it was Shanahan or Quintal or Parros or whoever else "in charge") has been Colin Campbell. So there you have it. From a guy who worked in a the league a long time. Now we know why it doesn't matter who is the head of DoPS. It's because Campbell and Bettman are still there and Stewart says the league places the game product first and player safety second. Both those guys need to go. League has been corrupt since Bettman and Campbell were put in charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There were TWO separate transgressions that were both dangerous and each could have and should have resulted in a long suspension (40+ games). With Buchnevich, he drops his weight onto Buchnevich's neck while he's down. That could have easily snapped his spine and/or paralyzed him. Then he grabs Panarin by the hair and yanks him backwards, smashing his head on the ice without a helmet on. Could have led to a concussion, fractured skull, or bleed in the brain.

Both acts of violence were intentional, avoidable, and extremely high risk of causing serious injury. Panarin supposedly has an injury that will keep him out, although don't know if that's a head issue, knee issue or other. Add onto that that Wilson is a multiple repeat offender. He should be gone for the year and well into next season. Everyone in the NHL believes it except for the DoPS.

Here's a great statement from the Rangers:

Image

 

Good on them for having the courage to call out the league for their BS ruling.

Interestingly, former player and ref Paul Stewart also called out the league today and said they didn't do their job and that Wilson is a spineless coward. Then he went on to say that everyone in the league knows Parros is a puppet and that the real person who has been making these calls the entire time (whether it was Shanahan or Quintal or Parros or whoever else "in charge") has been Colin Campbell. So there you have it. From a guy who worked in a the league a long time. Now we know why it doesn't matter who is the head of DoPS. It's because Campbell and Bettman are still there and Stewart says the league places the game product first and player safety second. Both those guys need to go. League has been corrupt since Bettman and Campbell were put in charge.

Hit the NAIL on the Head! The Rangers are really the only team that I can think of, that is honest with their fans, and not afraid to make potentially punishable comments. They show true integrity when it comes to honesty.  I'm not a Ranger Fan or anything, but they were honest to their fans when they let them know they were rebuilding and now, after this heinous act, were honest to voice their opinion publicly.  No  "No Comment" nonsense!  Good for them!  Hope something comes of this.  Actually, I hope other clubs see this and offer their public opinion.  But I doubt that happens, no cojones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An extremely black mark on the NHL. That Wilson would taunt Ranger players from the penalty box without remorse  shows how far this has gotten out of hand . Wilson could have killed somebody plain and simple . Helmetless heads  hitting the ice with impact on purpose is without a doubt suspension worthy at the very least . It should have been 1 year out of the league at a minimum considering his previous 5 suspensions . The pocket change fine is a joke .Bettman and Campbell have sent the league back 20 years by ignoring the obvious . A bad day for those who love the sport .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, arpem-can said:

An extremely black mark on the NHL. That Wilson would taunt Ranger players from the penalty box without remorse  shows how far this has gotten out of hand . Wilson could have killed somebody plain and simple . Helmetless heads  hitting the ice with impact on purpose is without a doubt suspension worthy at the very least . It should have been 1 year out of the league at a minimum considering his previous 5 suspensions . The pocket change fine is a joke .Bettman and Campbell have sent the league back 20 years by ignoring the obvious . A bad day for those who love the sport .

What would anyone of the idea of a least a one year suspension or a permanent suspension?  With who we have running the league, that might not be realistic.  Still...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal and Toronto should also call the league out. I wonder how the league would respond if the three teams worth the most money called the player safety department on its garbage.

Bettman would be rubbing his hands with glee thinking about the money he'd rake in fines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal and Toronto should also call the league out. I wonder how the league would respond if the three teams worth the most money called the player safety department on its garbage.

Every team owner and manager should be calling the league out for this one! This guy is a loose cannon and this is not his first offence. What does it require now a death on the ice? Panarin is out for the season and although they are not in the playoffs what if they were? KK, Caufield could be next!

You also have to consider the guy in charge. Parros was a goon in the league and when he played for us he did nothing but fight. He is protecting those that follow in his foot steps and right now there is only one...Wilson. I cannot beleive that Bettman is sitting on his hands with this? However I am not a big Bettman fan either. Good for the Rangers for the call out and I am disappointed in the rest of the league not coming to their side. This is a huge blow to the league and the manner in which it is operated today. Considering his past offences he should have been suspended for the balance of the season and 20 games into next season. Any further instances should bring about a ban from playing in the NHL.

This is really unbelievable!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal and Toronto should also call the league out. I wonder how the league would respond if the three teams worth the most money called the player safety department on its garbage.

Possible that other teams HAVE informed the league they disagree with the non-call in private. The problem is there's no pressure on the league to do anything about it unless

1. The board of governors actually threatens to have Campbell replaced.

2. Teams publicly announce something and get fans support on their side to call for change.

2 minutes ago, richard464 said:

Every team owner and manager should be calling the league out for this one! This guy is a loose cannon and this is not his first offence. What does it require now a death on the ice? Panarin is out for the season and although they are not in the playoffs what if they were? KK, Caufield could be next!

You also have to consider the guy in charge. Parros was a goon in the league and when he played for us he did nothing but fight. He is protecting those that follow in his foot steps and right now there is only one...Wilson. I cannot beleive that Bettman is sitting on his hands with this? However I am not a big Bettman fan either. Good for the Rangers for the call out and I am disappointed in the rest of the league not coming to their side. This is a huge blow to the league and the manner in which it is operated today. Considering his past offences he should have been suspended for the balance of the season and 20 games into next season. Any further instances should bring about a ban from playing in the NHL.

This is really unbelievable!

As posted previously, it seems clear that Parros is not the one making these calls and that all along, it's been Colin Campell running the show behind closed doors. Campbell believes in old-school hockey. He was a goon as a player, his son was a goon as a player, and he's always opted to chicken out on taking any actual action against dirty plays. He and Bettman have made it very clear they're only in this to have the NHL generate money and that player safety isn't important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can never deduce what action these guys will take anymore. Total crapshoot at what is or isn't an offense worthy of a suspension with the idiots running this department whether it be them alone or the backroom guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other part of the Wilson incident that really annoys me ... is after he's slammed the first guy and then rag dolls Panarin by the hair, Wilson NEVER drops the gloves ... 25-30 years ago Wilson would be out cold on the ice from a guy like Nilan, Kocur, Probert, etc etc ... but this punk does everything he did while keeping his gloves on to "protect" his goalie, then taunts the Rangers from the penalty box like he's some white knight enforcer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

It's a dirty hit with intent after the empty net goal goes in. I still think Wilson's TWO aggressions had a higher risk of causing injury and to the neck/head area. Rumor is that Panarin has a head injury after falling on the ice without his helmet. I'm all for suspending Ghost here, but Wilson's actions were worse, there were two incidents, and he's a repeat offender.

Also tape of Sidney Crosby circulating today where like Wilson, he's seen shoving Konecny's head into the ice repeatedly while lying on top of him. Similar video of him doing that to Subban a few years ago, repeatedly grabbing Subban's head from behind while sitting on him and slamming his head into the ice. It's dangerous. No hearings or suspensions for Crosby either. Another joke from the DoPS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

George larocque on Twitter asking for a one game contract from

the rangers . Says he’ll take care of Wilson ....

 

now he wants to fight 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Regis22 said:

George larocque on Twitter asking for a one game contract from

the rangers . Says he’ll take care of Wilson ....

 

now he wants to fight 

Maybe both of them should give Dana White a call, I‘m sure he‘d be all over this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

It's a dirty hit with intent after the empty net goal goes in. I still think Wilson's TWO aggressions had a higher risk of causing injury and to the neck/head area. Rumor is that Panarin has a head injury after falling on the ice without his helmet. I'm all for suspending Ghost here, but Wilson's actions were worse, there were two incidents, and he's a repeat offender.

Also tape of Sidney Crosby circulating today where like Wilson, he's seen shoving Konecny's head into the ice repeatedly while lying on top of him. Similar video of him doing that to Subban a few years ago, repeatedly grabbing Subban's head from behind while sitting on him and slamming his head into the ice. It's dangerous. No hearings or suspensions for Crosby either. Another joke from the DoPS.

imo, that is what happens when you take fighting out of hockey, =more dirty hockey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is prolly related somehow, but the Rags have fired John Davidson (President) and Jeff Gordon (GM).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

This is prolly related somehow, but the Rags have fired John Davidson and Jeff Gordon.

Really? I havent seen any news on this... 

 

EDIT: I see it on the NY Post now.... odd timing - unless it is related & the team wants to distance itself from the statement about the officials

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Really? I havent seen any news on this... 

TSN 690 broke it, like 5 mins. ago.

Rags are  saying that's it purely coincidental and not related to the Wilson affair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

George larocque on Twitter asking for a one game contract from

the rangers . Says he’ll take care of Wilson ....

 

now he wants to fight 

George will look silly when Wilson doesn't follow his code

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN 690 broke it, like 5 mins. ago.

Rags are  saying that's it purely coincidental and not related to the Wilson affair. 

I'll call BS on that. Rangers Owner apparently saying he fired them because the team under-performed. Usually when a team under-performs, you fire the coach. You rarely see the GM fired for that in-season when the coach doesn't also go. And when's the last time you saw a Team President fired after less than two years on the job? And with a reason that the team was under-performing? The Rangers had already announced a couple of years ago that they were re-building. They've gotten lucky winning the lottery and ending up with some key young guys and they added Panarin and frankly, for a team re-building, they've done a pretty darn good job of making themselves relevant again. No one should have expected this team to compete for a Cup this year or next, but they're certainly headed in the right direction. So I'll come back to not being sure how this is on the GM and especially not the President, who was brought in at the time the team announced they were re-building... doesn't make any sense. And if you really had a problem with Davidson and Gorton, why not just wait another two weeks and fire them then? This 100% sounds like there was something reactionary to the handling of the Panarin-Wilson incident. Just not sure which side of the argument Dolan is on and which side Davidson/Gorton are on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 This 100% sounds like there was something reactionary to the handling of the Panarin-Wilson incident. Just not sure which side of the argument Dolan is on and which side Davidson/Gorton are on.

Good point.  Initially i thought the team didnt like what was written but perhaps they (Davidson/Gorton) are the ones who had a problem with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank seravelli on Twitter stated that Davidson and Gordon were quick to distance themselves from

the team statement regarding the tom

wilson fine . I guess Dolan didn’t like it and got rid of them 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...