The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Player safety decisions.

29 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Joel Edmundson don’t fined $1000 for his trip on Tavares last night 

Ridiculous. So same type of penalty as Tom Wilson got for his two plays and meanwhile Brodie got nothing for his vicious two-handed slash on the back of JK's leg a couple of games ago. League = biased. The decisions are being made by a bunch of Ontarians in Toronto. There is the possibility they favor the Leafs and the optics are certainly as such.

NHL.com.  Tampa Bay forward Patrick Maroon has been suspended one game for unsportsmanlike conduct against Florida's Brandon Montour.  The incident occurred at 13:58 of the third period.  Maroon was assessed penalties for roughing and misconduct and forfeits $7758.62.  

4 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

NHL.com.  Tampa Bay forward Patrick Maroon has been suspended one game for unsportsmanlike conduct against Florida's Brandon Montour.  The incident occurred at 13:58 of the third period.  Maroon was assessed penalties for roughing and misconduct and forfeits $7758.62.  

Yeah, I can see where that would be more dangerous than a two hander to the back of the legs. :ph34r:

A bit late, but why wasn't Wilson given a season suspension?  Given that the NBA's Ron Artest was handed a 68 game suspension for his role in the 2004 Malice in the Palace brawl for going into the stands after a fan who he thought had thrown beer on him.  But everyone already knows the answer to that one.  

1 hour ago, CANADIENS27 said:

A bit late, but why wasn't Wilson given a season suspension?  Given that the NBA's Ron Artest was handed a 68 game suspension for his role in the 2004 Malice in the Palace brawl for going into the stands after a fan who he thought had thrown beer on him.  But everyone already knows the answer to that one.  

Two totally different sports basketball is like soccer. As soft as hockey is getting lets not get anywhere near Basketball or soccer the two worst sports !

Sergachev and dirty McDonagh have already each thrown dangerous hits from behind. Each could easily merit a suspension. Hits like Sergachev's have already resulted in suspension this year. I doubt McDo gets anything, but TB looking pretty dirty to start the post-season.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sergachev and dirty McDonagh have already each thrown dangerous hits from behind. Each could easily merit a suspension. Hits like Sergachev's have already resulted in suspension this year. I doubt McDo gets anything, but TB looking pretty dirty to start the post-season.

Wasn't there also a Florida hit late in the game when they were leading 4-3 that got a two-minute boarding call? The one replay I saw of it made it look like a pretty intense boarding. I think TB's coach called it predatory post-game.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Wasn't there also a Florida hit late in the game when they were leading 4-3 that got a two-minute boarding call? The one replay I saw of it made it look like a pretty intense boarding. I think TB's coach called it predatory post-game.

Sam Bennet has a meeting. McDonagh doesn't have a meeting but should have one also. 

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

58 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Sam Bennet has a meeting. McDonagh doesn't have a meeting but should have one also. 

Likewise Stamkos through a high and late hit towards the end of the 3rd and got no penalty or anything either. I think the refs in this one let a lot of things go both ways and called a lot of coincidentals to try and a avoid having to do their job, but compare this to suspensions given out previously and there were multiple hits last night that could have resulted in suspensions. Don't recall the hit off the top of my head, but saw some comments about how the McDonagh hit was a lot like the one Kadri received a 15-game suspension for, and McDonagh in his own right is an extremely dirty player. He hits a lot from behind and he hits a lot after the whistle and late after the puck is gone. And FWIW, Sergachev's hit might have been the worst of all three (Sergachev, McDo, Bennett) in terms of risk to the player he smoked from behind.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Likewise Stamkos through a high and late hit towards the end of the 3rd and got no penalty or anything either. I think the refs in this one let a lot of things go both ways and called a lot of coincidentals to try and a avoid having to do their job, but compare this to suspensions given out previously and there were multiple hits last night that could have resulted in suspensions. Don't recall the hit off the top of my head, but saw some comments about how the McDonagh hit was a lot like the one Kadri received a 15-game suspension for, and McDonagh in his own right is an extremely dirty player. He hits a lot from behind and he hits a lot after the whistle and late after the puck is gone. And FWIW, Sergachev's hit might have been the worst of all three (Sergachev, McDo, Bennett) in terms of risk to the player he smoked from behind.

Please this is the playoffs , it should be playoff hockey not no touch like the regular season. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, CaptWelly said:

Please this is the playoffs , it should be playoff hockey not no touch like the regular season. 

No it shouldn't. The rulebook is the rulebook. It's not written any differently. If the league wants a different set of rules, write a different set of rules. Don't write rules and then blatantly ignore them.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

No it shouldn't. The rulebook is the rulebook. It's not written any differently. If the league wants a different set of rules, write a different set of rules. Don't write rules and then blatantly ignore them.

Every game every shift you could probably make calls. IMO it has gone overboard. Every year early in the season things are called tighter than late in the season and the playoffs are usually played harder (as they should be). Game seven stanley cup and you want every little thing called? If you don't just more like the regular season then that's a contradiction. In my opinion it's gotten away from even just strong play. Quick example for years one on one a defenseman look at his body (don't puck watch) take the man step into him as he makes his move. Any more it's poke checks and players just skate around players. The way it's become players are afraid to make a strong hit. (Scott Stevens , Robinson) It used to be keep your head up not can I hit him he has the puck but he's staring down at it and doesn't see me , so I can't hit him? Any way it has always been different in the playoffs. Also every ref "manages" the game. If they actually called every infraction it would be come boring. 

To me it's more a case of the SELECTIVE enforcement of the rulebook. I don't have a problem with them easing up on calls, but when all of a sudden a hook in period 1, that wasn't being called, is once again a penalty in period 3, that's what burns me. Either make the calls all game on BOTH teams or let it slide. Don't determine the outcome of a game by choosing to penalize the red jersey team at a critical point of the game when the blue jersey team committed that foul the whole game without a second look.

5 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Every game every shift you could probably make calls. IMO it has gone overboard. Every year early in the season things are called tighter than late in the season and the playoffs are usually played harder (as they should be). Game seven stanley cup and you want every little thing called? If you don't just more like the regular season then that's a contradiction. In my opinion it's gotten away from even just strong play. Quick example for years one on one a defenseman look at his body (don't puck watch) take the man step into him as he makes his move. Any more it's poke checks and players just skate around players. The way it's become players are afraid to make a strong hit. (Scott Stevens , Robinson) It used to be keep your head up not can I hit him he has the puck but he's staring down at it and doesn't see me , so I can't hit him? Any way it has always been different in the playoffs. Also every ref "manages" the game. If they actually called every infraction it would be come boring. 

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

To me it's more a case of the SELECTIVE enforcement of the rulebook. I don't have a problem with them easing up on calls, but when all of a sudden a hook in period 1, that wasn't being called, is once again a penalty in period 3, that's what burns me. Either make the calls all game on BOTH teams or let it slide. Don't determine the outcome of a game by choosing to penalize the red jersey team at a critical point of the game when the blue jersey team committed that foul the whole game without a second look.

Agreed with what HTL said. I think they overcall some of the tickytack stuff, like a stick going up in front of a guy is called a hook even if there's no pressure applied and it doesn't actually change the game. Or faceoff infractions, which are also just a stupid way of giving the linesmen even more pomp and ego. Some of that can go. I really don't have an issue if they want to avoid calling some of those things, but for Pete's sake, just make it consistent. You see them call a bunch of stuff early in games just to say they're doing something and then they can stare down a blatant hit from behind or headshot like it's nothing an hour later. I think all the dangerous stuff (headshots, knee on knee, hit from behind) that an really injure someone has to go. If they want to allow guys to push and shove go ahead, as long as it's the same in minute 1 of game 1 of the season and game 7 of the finals.

Colorado’s Nazem Kadri has been offered an in-person hearing via Zoom for an Illegal Check to the Head on St. Louis’ Justin Faulk. Date and time TBD.

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Colorado’s Nazem Kadri has been offered an in-person hearing via Zoom for an Illegal Check to the Head on St. Louis’ Justin Faulk. Date and time TBD.

Has he been suspended since 2018?

If not, I'm guessing his history won't come into account when receiving his punishment. I forget how long you're on "probation" for in the NHL.

30 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

• H_T_L locked this topic