The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Player safety decisions.

13 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Fraser figures 2 games.

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

This was what Byron got for his charging call, and he had no previous record. Is this worse then what we saw last night?

https://www.nhl.com/video/byron-suspended-three-games/t-277440360/c-64982503

At least it should be 3.    Interestingly Maurice just said he thought it was a clean hit. I know he's the coach but im surprised he'd voice an opinion, you'd think he'd just stay diplomatic but maybe he thinks it will influence DPS. 

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Not a zoom meeting,,,,,,,, but a phone hearing. TSN

Yes.  The Zoom meeting is now the "in person" hearing, so that was already decided when they said it wasnt an in-person chat. 

One thing that keeps getting overlooked is that the DOPS reserves the right to view the incident in 2 parts. 1. The Incident that was called on the ice. 2. The headshot that was not called. Theoretically he could get a game or two for the charge but then receive an additional 4 games for the headshot. Seeing as they are technically 2 different issues he could get 2 separate suspensions each less than 5 games (hence the phone hearing) but totaling more than 5 games, at least that is my understanding from the article below. The key quote is the last sentence which reads:

"However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review."

https://www.nhl.com/news/mark-scheifele-to-have-nhl-player-safety-hearing/c-325161990?tid=277549076

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

One thing that keeps getting overlooked is that the DOPS reserves the right to view the incident in 2 parts. 1. The Incident that was called on the ice. 2. The headshot that was not called. Theoretically he could get a game or two for the charge but then receive an additional 4 games for the headshot. Seeing as they are technically 2 different issues he could get 2 separate suspensions each less than 5 games (hence the phone hearing) but totaling more than 5 games, at least that is my understanding from the article below. The key quote is the last sentence which reads:

"However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review."

https://www.nhl.com/news/mark-scheifele-to-have-nhl-player-safety-hearing/c-325161990?tid=277549076

The only adjustment you can expect from those bozos is whether to suspend games or just fine him. 

Maximum is 5, which is already farcical that it's that low. When you decide to suspend a guy, the degree of injury caused then becomes a factor in determining length of suspension. To me, this is no different than Bertuzzi on Moore or Brashear on McSorley or Chara on Pacioretty. It was a player who was angry and deliberately trying to hurt people all night and who then saw a vulnerable opponent and hit him in the head. Was it an illegal hit/charge? Yes. Then add on top that there was clear intent to injure (he was seen to be angry and trying to hurt Chiarot before and he made no attempt to stop the goal and play the puck). This should easily have been 20 games.

My guess is 3 now that there's no in-person hearing. I would think the NHL will try to put him back into the series in Winnipeg rather than inserting him into a game in Montreal with angry fans.

8 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I always thought that being near the end of the game made a difference too. What's the point of a 5 and a 10 when there's less than a minute left in the game?

Goes on his record, I'm guessing.

I will stick with my original guess of 3 games, but the concern now is for Evans and the teams ability to take adavantage of this. Our depth is good enough to get by  without Evans but the way he has progressed he may be much more indispensable next year. 

12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

They're sure stretching this decision out.

Yah.  While it shouldnt enter into it (the player has to be responsible for his actions) if they keep him out of 2 - 3 games this series is likely over. Theyre already (probably) without Statsny & we've got a 1 game lead, in winterpeg... The decision likely has major repercussions.  

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not as many as he deserved, but more than I expected.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I was hoping for 5+, was expecting 1-2. So... yup. 

Same here. I was prepared for him getting a fine or 1 game. Not nearly enough but more then expected

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Same here. I was prepared for him getting a fine or 1 game. Not nearly enough but more then expected

Maybe Parros finally got it right. 

This is the department that can change some of the dangerous aspects of hockey culture, so maybe they're waking up a little. If Stevens did this not so long ago it would have been on the player who deserved it for getting his tracks without knowing who was on the ice. This looks like an imporvement, but only a small one. These hits need to be dealt with harshly to get them out of the game. If you follow the 2 regular season games equal 1 playoff game this would be an 8 game suspension durng the regular season which would cost Scheiffele some money. I don't think this costs him any money having happened in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Maybe Parros finally got it right. 

Still not enough and that's a pretty sad state of affairs when a 4 game suspension is the consolation prize. Why didn't he deal with the headshot on Perry while he was at it? Just because he wasn't injured is no reason to ignore it. At least put it on the guy's record with a fine.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Still not enough and that's a pretty sad state of affairs when a 4 game suspension is the consolation prize. Why didn't he deal with the headshot on Perry while he was at it? Just because he wasn't injured is no reason to ignore it. At least put it on the guy's record with a fine.

Well, PO suspensions are supposed to be worth more that the reg. season. 

3 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Yeah,,, just like penalties in regular season are now legal plays in the playoffs unless the refs want to influence an outcome. 

4 games 

Not nearly enough.

A hell of a lot more than I expected.

There’s so much disparity between what’s called & what’s not called & what isn’t even considered. It makes the league look really bad.

Ask any Oiler fan and they’ll tell you Winnipeg was/ is such a dirty  team. We need to continue to use our speed and the forecheck & keep the Jets in the penalty box. Especially since our power play has seemed to be woken up a bit. 

Let’s win this before he can even come back.

41 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Except the players don't lose any salary which should make the suspension longer.

• H_T_L locked this topic