The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline Monday April 12th

Merrill is a 29 year-old 6'3" LHD who is a defensive D man with little offensive upside. He is an impending UFA after his one-year deal with Detroit expires, and his AAV is 925k. So a depth defenceman with poor offensive skill, sounds like a Bergevin Special.

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Merrill is a 29 year-old 6'3" LHD who is a defensive D man with little offensive upside. He is an impending UFA after his one-year deal with Detroit expires, and his AAV is 925k. So a depth defenceman with poor offensive skill, sounds like a Bergevin Special.

An upgrade over Mete's 4 goals 30a in 185 games. Merrill has 12g, 54 a in 392 nhl games - his best years were with Vegas.Giving up an undrafted player and a 5th rounder was nothing so we did not overpay

Merrill sports a 45% Corsi with 48% expected goals for at 5v5 (ie both bad numbers). Now playing for a bad team like Detroit, that could just be a product of a bad system and poor linemates, but further to that Merrill's Corsi relative is negative, meaning the Wings do better with him off the ice than with him on it. He was also a bad Corsi player with negative relative Corsi in NJ. In Vegas, he was a positive Corsi player playing in a good system, but was a strongly negative relative Corsi player two of the three years. It suggests that no matter where he's played, the teams have largely done better with him not on the ice. I don't have high hopes this player is going to fix anything for us, and he certainly doesn't appear to be any type of upgrade over what we currently have. He seems like a downgrade on Mete even. Another bad investment from MB towards exactly the type of defenceman you don't really need to win games in today's NHL.

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

An upgrade over Mete's 4 goals 30a in 185 games. Merrill has 12g, 54 a in 392 nhl games - his best years were with Vegas.Giving up an undrafted player and a 5th rounder was nothing so we did not overpay

Just now, electron58 said:

Kinda the same PPG Stat.

Yeah, similar PPG stats but for a guy who is older, slower, and less good at moving the puck. He's bigger. But has that really been the problem with our defence? Not really. Other than Mete, we have a pretty big/strong/gritty defence. The problem is that they can't play any type of transition game. Merrill doesn't help that.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, similar PPG stats but for a guy who is older, slower, and less good at moving the puck. He's bigger. But has that really been the problem with our defence? Not really. Other than Mete, we have a pretty big/strong/gritty defence. The problem is that they can't play any type of transition game. Merrill doesn't help that.

Agree on that but Mete on the 5th / 6th pairing was getting totally pushed around and didn't instill any fear into opposing players beyond a stick check. I see this as an entirely lateral move - almost a why bother. Merrill only offers more blocked shots and hits for playoff grind style of hockey. 

Report: Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire Nick Foligno From Columbus.  The Columbus Blue Jackets parted ways with their captain today, trading Nick Foligno to the Toronto Maple Leafs. TSN’s Frank Seravalli reported first. Elliotte Friedman reports the Leafs also acquired Stefan Noesen from San Jose as part of this deal, and shipped out a first-round pick and two fourth-round picks.

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

Report: Toronto Maple Leafs Acquire Nick Foligno From Columbus.  The Columbus Blue Jackets parted ways with their captain today, trading Nick Foligno to the Toronto Maple Leafs. TSN’s Frank Seravalli reported first. Elliotte Friedman reports the Leafs also acquired Stefan Noesen from San Jose as part of this deal, and shipped out a first-round pick and two fourth-round picks.

I'm confused. How is it Columbus pays half of Foligno's salary and San Jose pays the other half so the Leafs pay zero dollars? 2.5 million for a minor league player? NHL trades are starting to stink. 

3 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'm confused. How is it Columbus pays half of Foligno's salary and San Jose pays the other half so the Leafs pay zero dollars? 2.5 million for a minor league player? NHL trades are starting to stink. 

The Blue Jackets retain 50% of the original salary.

SJ retains 50% of the remainder (so 25% of the original total).

This leaves the Leafs with 25% of the original cost. In exchange, the Leafs gave SJ a 4th rounder.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The Blue Jackets retain 50% of the original salary.

SJ retains 50% of the remainder (so 25% of the original total).

This leaves the Leafs with 25% of the original cost. In exchange, the Leafs gave SJ a 4th rounder.

That's not how TSN is reporting it: The Blue Jackets will retain 50 per cent of Foligno's contract, while the Sharks earn a pick for retaining the other half of his US$5.5-million salary cap hit.

3 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

That's not how TSN is reporting it: The Blue Jackets will retain 50 per cent of Foligno's contract, while the Sharks earn a pick for retaining the other half of his US$5.5-million salary cap hit.

It's wrong. I saw that too, but it'll get corrected eventually. The person who wrote it didn't understand correctly. I guarantee you it's 50% Clb, 25% SJ, 25% Tor. The max you can retain is 50% of what you're paying. So SJ can't retain 100% of the rest, they can only retain 50% of the rest (which is 25% of total). Exact same math used in the David Savard trade where Det took on 25% of the total... I 100% stand by what I wrote.

14 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Mike Reilly traded from Ottawa to Boston for a 3rd rounder. A 3rd rounder for one of our cast-offs! And there's no market for Mete?

I guess we didn't want to retain salary! I think Minnesota, or Chicago are about the only teams of interest

The Buffalo Sabres have traded winger Taylor Hall to the Boston Bruins. The full package saw Hall and Curtis Lazar sent to Boston for Anders Bjork and a second-round pick. Buffalo retained 50 percent of Hall’s $8 million cap hit as well. Wow.  We couldn't do better?

• H_T_L locked this topic