The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline Monday April 12th

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The Blue Jackets retain 50% of the original salary.

SJ retains 50% of the remainder (so 25% of the original total).

This leaves the Leafs with 25% of the original cost. In exchange, the Leafs gave SJ a 4th rounder.

This is exactly correct.  Tampa Bay found the loop hole first, and were the first ones to exploit it. That's why I say, that Julien BriseBois is the smartest GM in the league, hands down!

The Ottawa Senators have completed their second trade in a span of about 10 minutes, while half of all hockey fans sleep, by dealing away Braydon Coburn. The New York Islanders will receive the veteran defenseman for the low, low price of a seventh-round draft pick in 2022. 

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forward Jeff Carter from the Los Angeles Kings prior to Monday’s trade deadline. The 16-year veteran will join his fourth franchise since joining the NHL. Bob McKenzie reported the preliminary move late Sunday night. LA will retain salary in exchange for several conditional draft picks.

In an unexpected move Sunday night the Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired goaltender David Rittich. In exchange for the goalie, the Leafs will be sending a 2022 third-round pick to the Calgary Flames.

The San Jose Sharks have acquired forward Ryan Donato from the Minnesota Wild on Monday morning in exchange for a third-round selection in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft. Donato, a 24-year-old forward, has one year left on his two-year, $3.8 million contract.

It appears that once again MB has done nothing while other team around the league get significantly better. This time the prices were reasonable! I wonder how Mr. Molson feels knowing that MB did nothing to turn this team into a contender when Toronto (our likely 1st round opponents) added quite significantly? Hope he realizes that we are as 9f right now the Leafs first victim on their way to potential SC winners! Congrats MB for making sure the Leafs had an easy opponent in the first round!

So Boston gets Hall for a 2nd rounder (presumably late 2nd) and also gets Lazar in the same deal, while giving up a no-name throw-in... meanwhile Bergevin gets Staal for a 3rd (presumably mid-round) and a 5th. To me, those are almost identical trade returns (ie on draft day, if the Sabres wanted to move up from mid-3rd round to late 2nd, they'd probably have to throw in a 5th rounder and maybe another player like Lazar). The Sabres also traded Montour for a 3rd (without the 5th) and he's a better asset than Staal too. So now ask yourself if the Habs overpaid for Staal? Sure, Hall had a NMC and maybe we had no chance of getting him here, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had Staal for a better price.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

So Boston gets Hall for a 2nd rounder (presumably late 2nd) and also gets Lazar in the same deal, while giving up a no-name throw-in... meanwhile Bergevin gets Staal for a 3rd (presumably mid-round) and a 5th. To me, those are almost identical trade returns (ie on draft day, if the Sabres wanted to move up from mid-3rd round to late 2nd, they'd probably have to throw in a 5th rounder and maybe another player like Lazar). The Sabres also traded Montour for a 3rd (without the 5th) and he's a better asset than Staal too. So now ask yourself if the Habs overpaid for Staal? Sure, Hall had a NMC and maybe we had no chance of getting him here, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had Staal for a better price.

MB just does not have the BALLS to go out and improve the team, for whatever reason he believes that you don't build a roster to win the cup you luck into it!

54 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

MB just does not have the BALLS to go out and improve the team, for whatever reason he believes that you don't build a roster to win the cup you luck into it!

Just curious? Who do you think MB should have gone after to improve the team?

15 minutes ago, richard464 said:

Just curious? Who do you think MB should have gone after to improve the team?

Dunn, Butcher, Rackell, Hall (on the fence about), Hoffman, Bean, H Fleury, Granlund, Ekhom, Brown or Hell even Gostisbeher would be better than adding another 6th or 7th D man, we already have Edmundson, Kulak, Chiarot, Mete, Weber and a whole slue of prospects to fill that role. The last thing we needed was Merrill! 

20 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Merrill is a 29 year-old 6'3" LHD who is a defensive D man with little offensive upside. He is an impending UFA after his one-year deal with Detroit expires, and his AAV is 925k. So a depth defenceman with poor offensive skill, sounds like a Bergevin Special.

I know nothing about Merrill (cant even remember seeing him play!) but the guys at HEOTP seem to think he'll be better than we might expect: 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/analysis/2021/4/12/22378797/video-analysis-jon-merrill-will-provide-montreal-top-four-abilities-puck-moving-alexander-romanov

These guys tend to be quite critical of bergevin-type defensemen (they were not positive about the Chairot or Edmundson moves) so i hope they are right on this one.  He wont be a saviour but should help a little down the defensive lineup.  Still, its our top pair that is the biggest issue. 

We really couldn't have offered a 2nd and a mid level prospect for Hall... seems weird. Like if we're going to go for it, than go for it. Price and Weber aint getting any younger so if we're no rebuilding we need to win now. This was a mistake by MB

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

We really couldn't have offered a 2nd and a mid level prospect for Hall... seems weird. Like if we're going to go for it, than go for it. Price and Weber aint getting any younger so if we're no rebuilding we need to win now. This was a mistake by MB

Hall has been one of the most invisible so called star players in the League this year. Pretty low on my wish list.

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Would Hall really make much of a difference to Montreal ?

He had one really good year but has been underwhelming since 

. In the last five yrs Montreal has made the playoffs once ( 2016-17  ; I didn't  include last yr as that was an exception )

This yr they might squeak in due to the set up of the divisions otherwise they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs again .

5 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Would Hall really make much of a difference to Montreal ?

He had one really good year but has been underwhelming since 

. In the last five yrs Montreal has made the playoffs once ( 2016-17  ; I didn't  include last yr as that was an exception )

This yr they might squeak in due to the set up of the divisions otherwise they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs again .

I agree its a long shot, but the hope is that Weber and Price will be better in the playoffs and give us an off chance of winning. I'm just saying, either go for it or rebuild, our key guys are over the hill. 

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Hall has been one of the most invisible so called star players in the League this year. Pretty low on my wish list.

Yeah i tend to agree.  We also needed a centre more than a winger.  I still dont think it was overpayment for Staal and I hope that the last practice (staal & perry on the 4th) is the sign of things to come - my only concern with adding him was losing ice time at centre for JK or Suzuki

The New Jersey Devils are again sellers at the NHL Trade Deadline. This time they have traded defenceman Dmitry Kulikov to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for a conditional 2022 fourth-round draft pick.

12 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Why are we assuming Hall would've even wanted to play here? He had a NMC.

Im pretty sure Hall would have wanted to play anywhere but Buffalo. :4224:

That said, im starting to think he's cursed.  11 NHL seasons - only 1 truly elite year but most were still very good ones - and yet he's been on some historically bad teams.   11 years, 660+ games and less than 15 games in the playoffs.  ouch. 

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Why are we assuming Hall would've even wanted to play here? He had a NMC.

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im pretty sure Hall would have wanted to play anywhere but Buffalo. :4224:

That said, im starting to think he's cursed.  11 NHL seasons - only 1 truly elite year but most were still very good ones - and yet he's been on some historically bad teams.   11 years, 660+ games and less than 15 games in the playoffs.  ouch. 

My issue is not that we didn't get Hall but that we are not doing ANYTHING! We need a PM LHD both Kulikov and Vatenen went very little, We need a top 6 impact winger, Hall and Palmerari went for next to nothing. We need a bottom pair RHD, we trade for a millionth bottom pairing LHD! WTH is MB doing? He isn't improving and is making lateral moves at best and at worse making the team worse in terms of losing Mete for nothing. If Kulikov gets a 4th Mete could have certainly gotten at least a 5th.

• H_T_L locked this topic