The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trade Deadline Monday April 12th

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Renaud Lavoie says Habs are done for the day. So no impending UFA's moved out. Could come back to bite them... wondering if anyone thinks the Habs will make the conference finals or better to justify sitting tight on their free agents.

In general, an underwhelming deadline but on the other hand, didn't give up much in a year where we clearly were not true Cup contenders, so probably a win in the big scheme of things. Would have liked to see MB go after a player who could be here longer-term like Vince Dunn rather than giving up spare parts in exchange for other spare parts.

Yeah i didnt expect much.  Thing is, we're ok up front.  Any solution at forward would have been a band-aid one (like Staal and Perry) anyway.  

On the blueline we clearly have problems but MB seems not to see them - so its probably good he didnt try to fix things. We would have ended up with another Chairot/Edmundson clone and given up Kulak or someone for them. 

3 hours ago, claremont said:

Holy crap that was a massive overpay by the capitals unless the capitals get out of their conference - I did not read the first and second rounders - Yzerman IMO wins this one  

It actually breaks down Panik + 1st as cap dump and Mantha for Vrana + 2nd according to TSN

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired defenseman Ben Hutton from the Anaheim Ducks as the trade deadline expires Monday afternoon. The Ducks will receive a fifth-round pick in the upcoming 2021 Draft.

17 hours ago, claremont said:

That\s an interesting one - Mantha carries a $5.7M cap hit for this year and the next 3.He's an enigma to me - almost a reclamation project. Maybe he just has a poor team to play on with the Dead Things but he does offer significant size, We already have an over priced LW at $5.5M who is not delivering his value (yet), and both of them are the same age at 26. Might be a bit of duplication of expectations for both of them to succeed, I wonder what we might have had to give up for Mantha given his underachieving history. 

Vrana - is an RFA - might have a little more upside. The LW scoring F/A tree is thin for next year so might be better to see how Tatar does and resign Tuna before laying out bigger money in a trade for either one of these at this time.

Hm, I never saw Mantha as an underperformer and would have been really happy to get him before we traded for Anderson. I don't think there's a real need anymore but that combination of size and speed is certainly interesting and contrary to Drouin, I don't think he has underachieved at all. As a late-ish first round pick, Mantha can give you around 25G/25A per season on a very bad team, I'd be ecstatic if e.g. Sherbak had turned out to be that kind of player (or if Drouin gave us that kind of production consistently). Granted, this season is a bit of a disappointment, but these are trying times for a lot of players and his career numbers are still quite a bit better than Anderson's, who plays more of a 'heavy' game though. Definitely an overpayment by Washington I think but still, players like Mantha or Anderson are rare and GMs just love the toolset.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

Hm, I never saw Mantha as an underperformer and would have been really happy to get him before we traded for Anderson. I don't think there's a real need anymore but that combination of size and speed is certainly interesting and contrary to Drouin, I don't think he has underachieved at all. As a late-ish first round pick, Mantha can give you around 25G/25A per season on a very bad team, I'd be ecstatic if e.g. Sherbak had turned out to be that kind of player (or if Drouin gave us that kind of production consistently). Granted, this season is a bit of a disappointment, but these are trying times for a lot of players and his career numbers are still quite a bit better than Anderson's, who plays more of a 'heavy' game though. Definitely an overpayment by Washington I think but still, players like Mantha or Anderson are rare and GMs just love the toolset.

Fair point - but Josh Anderson was injured and had that low production for that reason. A lot of fans pooped that deal because a 3rd rounder was tossed in with Domi. No question he and his skill set have exceeded expectations. I would have loved us to pick up Mantha in the off season - I just expected a little more production from him last 2 seasons for the value of the contract.

8 minutes ago, claremont said:

Fair point - but Josh Anderson was injured and had that low production for that reason. A lot of fans pooped that deal because a 3rd rounder was tossed in with Domi. No question he and his skill set have exceeded expectations. I would have loved us to pick up Mantha in the off season - I just expected a little more production from him last 2 seasons for the value of the contract.

Don't get me wrong, I like Anderson a lot and we haven't had that kind of player for as long as I can remember. All I'm trying to say is that from a pure scoring perspective, Mantha has outpeformed him by a fair bit in essentially the same number of NHL games. Statistically, last season was maybe Mantha's best, he was close to PPG pace despite missing ~40 games to injury as well. Come to think of it, I actually wouldn't mind adding Mantha, having both him and Anderson on the same team could be really fun to watch. The point is moot though and we certainly have more pressing needs than acquiring another power forward.

57 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yup. And if he does well in Washington, no one will care what they gave up for him tbh. 

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

What you're describing is a 0.61 points per game pace. Which is exactly what Drouin has given us during his four seasons in Montreal. 0.607 points per game.

21 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

What you're describing is a 0.61 points per game pace. Which is exactly what Drouin has given us during his four seasons in Montreal. 0.607 points per game.

True, but I do value goals higher than assists, especially on a team like ours and in today's NHL. If Drouin scored around 25 goals per season, or even 20+, I'm sure people would see him differently. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case during his time in Montreal. Mind you, I'm really not a Drouin hater. I didn't like the trade but that doesn't change the fact that I see him as a very valuable player with a ton of talent.

33 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

True, but I do value goals higher than assists, especially on a team like ours and in today's NHL. If Drouin scored around 25 goals per season, or even 20+, I'm sure people would see him differently. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case during his time in Montreal. Mind you, I'm really not a Drouin hater. I didn't like the trade but that doesn't change the fact that I see him as a very valuable player with a ton of talent.

Same. He'll never be my favourite player but he can absolutely be a contributor at times.  His game seems more well-rounded this year too, good backchecking.  Too bad he never shoots the darned puck. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Same. He'll never be my favourite player but he can absolutely be a contributor at times.  His game seems more well-rounded this year too, good backchecking.  Too bad he never shoots the darned puck. 

He has been fairly flat of late.

8 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I live in Michigan and see a lot of Detroit hockey. Mantha was given a lot of top line PP great zone starts ect. This season he was a healthy scratch at times. He mat do better being sheltered on Washington. He has size but never really used it effectively. A lot of junior players who have size early will nominate those leagues because there's 15-19 year olds. He has rarley shown any dominating games while with the wings. I think he's a lot like Galencheck. As said on Washington he may look better? I do think Yzserman knows talent and I haven't heard many wings fan being upset. 

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I live in Michigan and see a lot of Detroit hockey. Mantha was given a lot of top line PP great zone starts ect. This season he was a healthy scratch at times. He mat do better being sheltered on Washington. He has size but never really used it effectively. A lot of junior players who have size early will nominate those leagues because there's 15-19 year olds. He has rarley shown any dominating games while with the wings. I think he's a lot like Galencheck. As said on Washington he may look better? I do think Yzserman knows talent and I haven't heard many wings fan being upset. 

I haven't seen as much of Mantha as you, but he kind of reminds me of Guillaume Latendresse when he first broke into the NHL with the Habs. Good size but a bit awkward, good nose for the net, needs to work on a lot of the other aspects of his game. He's not an elite player, he's just a sound 20-25 goal scorer, maybe a guy who can put up a bit more if he plays with great linemates. I'd personally rather have Josh Anderson than Mantha, and I largely feel like the Caps overpaid for him, but if they feel like they're close to a Cup, maybe they thought it was worth it.

21 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I haven't seen as much of Mantha as you, but he kind of reminds me of Guillaume Latendresse when he first broke into the NHL with the Habs. Good size but a bit awkward, good nose for the net, needs to work on a lot of the other aspects of his game. He's not an elite player, he's just a sound 20-25 goal scorer, maybe a guy who can put up a bit more if he plays with great linemates. I'd personally rather have Josh Anderson than Mantha, and I largely feel like the Caps overpaid for him, but if they feel like they're close to a Cup, maybe they thought it was worth it.

Some of the stats - Josh Anderson 303 games 693 hits Mantha - 302 games - 291 hits so Josh though a bit smaller plays a much larger physical game which is what we have needed vs our smurfs 

7 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Thanks for the insight, I don't really get a chance to follow him that closely from across the pond. I know that the knock on Mantha always was that he's not using his size/reach to his advantage enough and I'm really happy we got Anderson who's a scoring threat and a physical presence. As a Red Wings fan, I probably wouldn't be upset with the trade either given what they got from Washington in return. It's probably not quite an offer you can't refuse but you're right, as a rebuilding team you generally don't trade away scorers in their prime years unless there's something you're not happy with and Yzerman usually knows what he's doing.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree.  Im not a huge "size" guy - I think it helps & if the 2 players are identical then yeah, bigger is better, but talent always trumps size imho - but Anderson is really turning into a special player. He's not just skilled and fast but he uses his size incredibly intelligently.  You can see that he will rattle a defensman or winger (both with size AND speed, which is the key) and then the whole night they are trying to make plays away from him. It opens up a lot of options for his linemates.  

Im definitely happy to have him on our squad & my only concern is whether this will have a long term impact on injuries.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree.  Im not a huge "size" guy - I think it helps & if the 2 players are identical then yeah, bigger is better, but talent always trumps size imho - but Anderson is really turning into a special player. He's not just skilled and fast but he uses his size incredibly intelligently.  You can see that he will rattle a defensman or winger (both with size AND speed, which is the key) and then the whole night they are trying to make plays away from him. It opens up a lot of options for his linemates.  

Im definitely happy to have him on our squad & my only concern is whether this will have a long term impact on injuries.

Yeah, you have guys like Benoit Pouliot or Joel Armia who can skate and have size but lack the finish. You have guys like Lucic who have size and used to be able to score a bit but can't skate. But it's nice to have a big guy who can skate as strongly as Anderson does AND have some finish at the net. A rare type of player and if it wasn't for injuries, he could have been a highly-coveted perennial 30-goal scorer.

• H_T_L locked this topic