The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

KK

H_T_L

Really been impressed by the kid the last couple games. He was stellar in last year's playoffs and you can see his game has picked up in intensity lately. He was a beast last night vs the Oilers and his physicality has really been a bonus. Not sure how many hits he delivered but it seemed substantial. We keep changing his linemates  and for the most part he keeps delivering despite it. For awhile it looked like last years playoffs was only an anomaly but his ramped up play gives me hope he's the real deal. He's not as easy to knock off his skates anymore. I have to keep reminding myself how young he is

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yep he is starting to come into his own and I like what it see he is going to have an edge to his game and the skill is starting to shine too. he may not be a huge goal scorer but he is a great set up center.

His confidence is growing - I wish he was much better on face-offs but I expect that will develop in time. He was one of the youngest in his draft class and his ability is slowly growing - I know others expect more rapid ascension but patience is required 

3 hours ago, claremont said:

His confidence is growing - I wish he was much better on face-offs but I expect that will develop in time. He was one of the youngest in his draft class and his ability is slowly growing - I know others expect more rapid ascension but patience is required 

KK is 73rd overall for Faceoffs @ 48.7% ... Suzuki is 92nd at 44,1

KK however has been much better over the last 20ish games (from an eye test) than he was the first 20 ... and sporting a 48% face off win as the one of the 8 youngest players in the league.   

5 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It is actually I don't know how anyone came up with KK? Unless for some reason it's a nick name but JK are his initials?

Team nickname as far as i know

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I've only ever seen him referred to KK on this site. Never heard of the team or anyone calling him that? 

Ummmm, lots of us refer to him as KK. :P

12 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Really been impressed by the kid the last couple games. He was stellar in last year's playoffs and you can see his game has picked up in intensity lately. He was a beast last night vs the Oilers and his physicality has really been a bonus. Not sure how many hits he delivered but it seemed substantial. We keep changing his linemates  and for the most part he keeps delivering despite it. For awhile it looked like last years playoffs was only an anomaly but his ramped up play gives me hope he's the real deal. He's not as easy to knock off his skates anymore. I have to keep reminding myself how young he is

Yes.  Really hope his trajectory keeps going up and up.  Charismatic player who is well liked and would be an icon in Montreal if his game excels.  Fingers crossed.

Curiously, do you guys think he is our best centreman right now? :ph34r: We haven't really had a number one, two, or three this season... But I'm starting to feel like his play has been better than Suzuki's and Danault's overall. Not saying Kotkaniemi is a number one centre, just saying his play has been an iota better than the other two.

19 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Only 8 players (who have played more than 20 games this year in the NHL ) are younger than him.  Thats pretty remarkable when you realize he's already played 150+ games. 

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Curiously, do you guys think he is our best centreman right now? :ph34r: We haven't really had a number one, two, or three this season... But I'm starting to feel like his play has been better than Suzuki's and Danault's overall. Not saying Kotkaniemi is a number one centre, just saying his play has been an iota better than the other two.

I think it changes from night to night. At times Suzuki has looked like a #1 and at other times you realize just how young he is. Same with JK.   Danault has been awesome at times but others, just a solid #3.  

I still think Suzuki has the best potential as an offensive centre but I think JK could end up being the more well-rounded guy.  He makes me think a lot of Plekanec with more size and power.  Thats a pretty awesome ceiling if he reaches it because that extra umph should be good for 10-20 more points a season over what Plekanec was ever able to give. 

41 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

My answer is yes look at his stats from the last game vs Edmonton. In almost 7 minutes vs Draisaitl he controlled 75% of the shots and had 5 scoring chances while holding Draisaitl to 0 scoring chances. Against McDavid he also controlled 75% of the shots and had 4 scoring chances while also holding McDavid to 0. All while being the 4th least used forward at 5 vs 5. See link below

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.habseyesontheprize.com/platform/amp/2021/4/22/22397112/the-maturation-of-jesperi-kotkaniemi-montreal-canadiens-prospect-development-habs

• H_T_L locked this topic