Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

KK


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, habs1952 said:

KK? I thought it was JK. 

 

15 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I've only ever seen him referred to KK on this site. Never heard of the team or anyone calling him that? 

 

16 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Team nickname as far as i know

Yeah its definitely a team nickname - ive heard several players and coaches call him KK.  I like calling him JK because I knew a KK in high school and didnt like her.  Haha.

As for how he got the name?   Say his last name out loud.

KotKaniemi - i think the two Ks are emphasized and they started first calling him KotKa and then just shortened it to KK. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

 

Yeah its definitely a team nickname - ive heard several players and coaches call him KK.  I like calling him JK because I knew a KK in high school and didnt like her.  Haha.

As for how he got the name?   Say his last name out loud.

KotKaniemi - i think the two Ks are emphasized and they started first calling him KotKa and then just shortened it to KK. 

 

 

I can understand how the nick name could come about but I would of thought team mates would call each other by first names not last names?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He didn't show up on the scoresheet last night but my eyes told me his skating and back check was solid, threw his body a couple of times, did not back down from physical play and possession wasn't bad. Still want to see improved face-offs but I do see overall improvement from him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, claremont said:

He didn't show up on the scoresheet last night but my eyes told me his skating and back check was solid, threw his body a couple of times, did not back down from physical play and possession wasn't bad. Still want to see improved face-offs but I do see overall improvement from him

He actually had a bad night last night in that two of the goals against were bad plays or turnovers from JK. He wasn't alone in bad play but he didn't have a great game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

He actually had a bad night last night in that two of the goals against were bad plays or turnovers from JK. He wasn't alone in bad play but he didn't have a great game.

I don't remember a goal that was a bad turnover by KK, I do remember the one where the D man pinched and put KK in a bad spot trying to catch up coming off the bench, maybe I just missed the turnover. The 1st Gaudreau goal was a bad pinch by Romanov along the boards where KK in the middle of the zone and couldn't reach the puck which Calgary transitioned quickly and caught Romanov up ice (on Romanov). The Lucic goal was a clean loss draw by Staal, KK wasn't even on the ice). 2nd Gaudreau goal was a bad back pass by Zuke off Petry's skate, again I don't think KK was on the ice. The Ritchie goal shouldn't have counted but it was as much KK's fault as the 2nd Gaudreau goal as the pass from Merrill was in his skates and he never really got control of it. The 5th was an EN goal and again KK wasn't on the ice so IMO you may be able to argue that the one in his feet was partially on him but certainly not any of the others. Sure he was a -2 but just cause your on the ice doesn't mean you are at fault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

He actually had a bad night last night in that two of the goals against were bad plays or turnovers from JK. He wasn't alone in bad play but he didn't have a great game.

I would probably lean more to unfortunate bounces.  Yes, he was directly responsible, but it wasn't for a lack of effort. Stuff happens. KK knows he was in the spot light.  I'm sure he felt bad enough, without the added benching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I don't remember a goal that was a bad turnover by KK, I do remember the one where the D man pinched and put KK in a bad spot trying to catch up coming off the bench, maybe I just missed the turnover. The 1st Gaudreau goal was a bad pinch by Romanov along the boards where KK in the middle of the zone and couldn't reach the puck which Calgary transitioned quickly and caught Romanov up ice (on Romanov). The Lucic goal was a clean loss draw by Staal, KK wasn't even on the ice). 2nd Gaudreau goal was a bad back pass by Zuke off Petry's skate, again I don't think KK was on the ice. The Ritchie goal shouldn't have counted but it was as much KK's fault as the 2nd Gaudreau goal as the pass from Merrill was in his skates and he never really got control of it. The 5th was an EN goal and again KK wasn't on the ice so IMO you may be able to argue that the one in his feet was partially on him but certainly not any of the others. Sure he was a -2 but just cause your on the ice doesn't mean you are at fault.

Actually, KK was covering for Romanov, and KK made the bad pinch, missing the puck. So technically, that first goal was on KK.  But still, one heck of a shot! by Gaudreau.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I think for a 20 year old he is being under valued by fans and coaches. He has two huge goals as well this series. How many does Mathews have?

JK has laid out some huge hits, scored two goals in the danger areas, but was not good enough to start the series......

More lower body strengh, more balance...Mind you if the cost for Eichel was JK I would still make the move. 

But if not. I think in a couple of years. All the sports people who are saying we should have taken Brady Tkachuk will have a different opinion

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I think for a 20 year old he is being under valued by fans and coaches. He has two huge goals as well this series. How many does Mathews have?

JK has laid out some huge hits, scored two goals in the danger areas, but was not good enough to start the series......

More lower body strengh, more balance...Mind you if the cost for Eichel was JK I would still make the move. 

But if not. I think in a couple of years. All the sports people who are saying we should have taken Brady Tkachuk will have a different opinion

 

Absolutely agree on all accounts.  He's played a lot of games but he's also still super young.  (I think only 4 regulars in the NHL this year who were younger than him)   Its also important to note that its impossible to know whether the coaches are "babying" him too much or not because we dont know what his mindset is like off the ice. I trust they know who they can and cant push harder at this stage of their careers.

 

I would also give him up as part of a deal for Eichel but i believe that Eichel is at worst as good as JK will ever be and has the potential, on the right team, to be one of the top 5 players in the league.  JK in his prime may be top 50 or even top 30 but I dont think he'll ever quite be what Eichel could be under the same conditions.

I also agree that in a few years I think everyone will say JK was the right pick over Tkachuk.  At the time the biggest thing going for BT was that he was already NHL-ready. We knew JK was a project. He still is. Nothing has changed.  Brady is basically where he's going to be. He had a prorated 55 pt season & I think he'll settle in to being a 25-30g, 55-60point power winger who is pretty horrible defensively.   Nothing wrong with that but if JK ends up being a premiere 2 way centre, I think we'd take that even if it means a few more years of development in the short-term. 


 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Playoff ringer! the kid has heart! get him a Coach and Gm that sees that! the team really seem to rally around him it is like they know he has been messed with by mangement and coaching and are there for him.

If we win tomorrow night we'll still have the same GM and possibly the same coach going forward... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Did not know that, TY. 

  wow ...great coincidences ...or are they ?...in review KK no. 15 scores at 15:15 of overtime on the 15th shot in overtime in his 15th play-off game after 15 months of no fans ? ( thought it was 14 but hey ) ...and he looks 15 yrs old ...his next contract will be for 15 million 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Let’s hope MB does not trade him to Washington for Kuznetzov. Read that rumour somewhere. 

Yeah I read that at Sports Illustrated  - i think (or at least I hope) its more like "if montreal was interested in him, what would it cost" but as the article mentioned, its possible JK's ceiling is about what Kuznetzov is at right now, so unless the goal was to win now, it would be a bad long-term move. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

He makes game winning critical passes, such as with his signature back flick. But he needs to learn to stay out of the penalty box. 

/His hooking penalty on Patches was a joke.  He lifts Patches stick, Patches grabs KK stick and it's KK who gets called.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

/His hooking penalty on Patches was a joke.  He lifts Patches stick, Patches grabs KK stick and it's KK who gets called.

Can't forget the 2 minutes for checking too. He's been the victim of some brutal calls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...