9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Chiarot

I certainly agree with the forward group I said this before the start of the series. That was the lineup we had at the beginning of the season. Only difference CC for Droiun.

Its too bad that Fleury game didn't grow this season. I would actually have liked a pairing of  Romanov and Fleury - two young guys who for there size are heavy hitters. Advanced stats prove deeman have better results playing on their natural side

Kulak for me is to fragile of a Deeman, once theirs pressure he panics. He is though one of our better skaters pack their along with Petry. 

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree. We go the split, so thats good but i felt like there was an opportunity to go up 2-0 tonight & we blew that, in large part due to personnel - both who was dressed and how they were used. 

JK was excellent & definitely should not miss another game.   Staal has been better than he was in the regular season & if Evans cant go, I can live with him in, but id really prefer to have Suzuki-JK-Danault-Evans if possible.

On wing, CC should be in & while Perry has been great this year, he's the guy i'd pull definitely.  Tatar hasnt been great but i feel like its a matter of time for that line to get clicking again.

On defense, Romanov for Merrill is a no-brainer.  The Merrill experiment has failed, its time for the team to realize that & get AR in the lineup.

Love you lines. I think we'd win comfortably with that lineup. Will we do it? Time will tell. 

I have a feeling we'll see CC in the lineup next game but we won't like who sits in his place.

As for Merrill,,, that experiment has to end now

I picked leafs in 4 or 5 . Montreal won the 1st game although they were outshot . 2nd game wasn’t even close . I don’t think they have the horses to keep up with leafs .  Once Montreal falls behind they have trouble scoring . 

You wouldn't normally think that Boston would have the ability to step back and honor the British soldiers who invented hockey and even become an original 6 six but they did and they are so can we just get some of their attitude and play to win? Not like the Rat. He's from another planet but man! We need something . Focus. That's my solution.

1 hour ago, archey said:

You wouldn't normally think that Boston would have the ability to step back and honor the British soldiers who invented hockey and even become an original 6 six but they did and they are so can we just get some of their attitude and play to win? Not like the Rat. He's from another planet but man! We need something . Focus. That's my solution.

Text that over to MB. Great idea for a new T-shirt,,,, FOCUS. :lol:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-troubling-regular-season-patterns-concern-game-2-loss/

Canadiens' troubling regular-season patterns a concern after Game 2 loss

Ducharme said he, Canadiens director of legal affairs John Sedgwick (who previously worked for the NHL’s hockey operations department), video replay analyst Mario Leblanc and director of goaltending Sean Burke all felt Joe Thornton had sufficiently interfered with Price to have the goal reversed.:wacko:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/canadiens-game-day-jesperi-kotkaniemi-replaces-jake-evans-for-game-2

Canadiens Game Day: It's time to put Cole Caufield in the lineup

When asked after the game what gives him confidence that the Canadiens can score enough goals to beat the Leafs in this series, Ducharme said: “It’s one game at a time. Every game is different. I don’t think they’re going to be scoring five goals a night. Tonight was a different night.”

Former NFL coach Bill Parcells, who won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants, once famously said: “You are what your record says you are.”

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I have a feeling we'll see CC in the lineup next game but we won't like who sits in his place.

As for Merrill,,, that experiment has to end now

I agree. I think CC draws back in too. I think they can't be so dumb that they don't see how bad our offence is. I also agree we're not going to like what they do, because they drool over bad players like Staal and Merrill. I think we'll see one of 3 things:

1. Caufield in for Armia. Maybe with Evans back in for Staal if Evans is ready. Maybe Romanov in but for Kulak instead.

2. Caufield in for Staal if Evans can't go and Byron shifting over to center.

3. If we do get the optimal situation of CC, Evans, and Romanov in for Perry, Staal, and Merrill, then it'll last one game and those guys will all be back for Game 4, with the rookies or other guys (Armia, Lehkonen, Tatar, Kulak) coming out instead.

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I picked leafs in 4 or 5 . Montreal won the 1st game although they were outshot . 2nd game wasn’t even close . I don’t think they have the horses to keep up with leafs .  Once Montreal falls behind they have trouble scoring . 

Absolutely correct - when I see the Habs fall behind by two goals, it’s very demoralizing. This team needs stronger finishers. They shoot dead horses don’t they? 

59 minutes ago, claremont said:

Absolutely correct - when I see the Habs fall behind by two goals, it’s very demoralizing. This team needs stronger finishers. They shoot dead horses don’t they? 

I think Montreal fans happily will take a split in Toronto ....according to Leafs they didn't show up in the 1st game ...according the Habs they didn't show up in the 2nd ...it's time to let the kids play and get some play-off experience ...if DD had put them in game 2  you'd be hearing all about how he messed with the chemistry ...usually don't complain about ref calls because they tend to even out in the long run but game 2 was pretty tilted and took away any flow ..Montreal was successful when they hit and dogged the Leafs in game 1 .....back to basics ....series isn't over till the fat lady warbles

Not sure if anyone commented in this thread yet ... but game 2 was an embarrassment for officiating.   The leafs could do no wrong, and the Habs wound up having to kill 6 penalties to Toronto's 1.     The amount of interferance, hooking, tripping and other infractions that the refs turned a blind eye to is simply ridiculous.    And when you're shorthanded for a good 6-8 minutes of period you have zero abilities to get any momentum.    

Given the revelations earlier in the year from that hot mic ... the fix is in, the league wants Toronto to win for their "story narrative" and the Habs are at a serious disadvantage beyond just the difference in talent.

13 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Not sure if anyone commented in this thread yet ... but game 2 was an embarrassment for officiating.   The leafs could do no wrong, and the Habs wound up having to kill 6 penalties to Toronto's 1.     The amount of interferance, hooking, tripping and other infractions that the refs turned a blind eye to is simply ridiculous.    And when you're shorthanded for a good 6-8 minutes of period you have zero abilities to get any momentum.    

Given the revelations earlier in the year from that hot mic ... the fix is in, the league wants Toronto to win for their "story narrative" and the Habs are at a serious disadvantage beyond just the difference in talent.

We all know refs have their biases. Maybe they do their best to work through them, but sometimes, it's inevitable to see them come out. Last night was one of those nights, where noted Habs-hater Eric Furlatt was reffing. You can keep track of who's reffing games yourself and there are a list of guys whereby when they ref, you know we're more likely to get screwed over. Furlatt is one of them. Here's a link to an interview a Minnesota Wild site did with Furlatt and Tim Peel a couple of years ago:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2019/4/4/18294804/wilderness-walk-nhl-referee-wild-bruins

They claim they put their biases aside on the ice, but Furlatt admits he grew up a Nordiques fan (and we al know Quebec City's most hated rival was the Habs). Same reason why we never get an honest opinion from reporter Francois Gagnon, who was a Nords fan and now a Sens fan, and loves to troll Habs fans with his coverage. In the same article, Tim Peel states that he is a huge Leafs fan and grew up hating the Montreal Canadiens. He actually just says it right there in the interview. I've said this before, but I also know someone who knows Peel and who has told me that Peel always had it out for the Habs and Sens and still roots for the Leafs. So not at all shocking that he would be a guy who used to target us night after night. Then you have Chris Lee, who thankfully stayed out of Canada this year. Another disaster. Someone did an analysis last year of Lee's work in Habs games since the start of his career and found that when Lee reffed, the Habs had on average an extra 2 PIM's compared to all other games in which he wasn't reffing. Think it's because he just calls more penalties on average? Nope, think again. On average, there were fewer penalties called against Habs' opponents when Lee was reffing compared to when he wasn't. So there are stats there that show he's about 15% off the rest of the league when he refs our games, and that's hard to chalk up to random luck alone.

You watch last night's game and you have to wonder who the heck decided to ignore the butt end and the hit from behind right in the numbers and the knee on knee and the chop to the throat and so on, but call us repeatedly for lesser fouls. And you have to wonder who thought Weber deserved a fine but none of those other guys in Toronto jerseys did. If you answered Eric Furlatt, Nords fan and Habs hater, on the first count, you'd be right. And if you answered 6 guys from Ontario sitting around an office in Toronto, you'd be right on the second.

Losing Gm2 tonight, the #Canadiens have scored only 62 goals in their last 30 playoff games (2015-present). Among 25 NHL franchises to have played at least 15 PO games in that span, the Habs' 2.07 goals per game is the worst. In those 30 GP, they've scored 1 GF or fewer 13 times

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

And I'm not the world's biggest Grant McCagg fan, but here's a thread he did on twitter about last night's reffing (there are several videos to watch if you click over to look at the entire thread):

https://twitter.com/grantmccagg/status/1396553047959015425

It‘s sad that games can be decided by brutally lopsided officiating in this day and age. This isn’t about making one or two mistakes, which would be fine, or a difference of perception/interpreting situations differently. These are several blatantly obvious non-calls (and it‘s not even an inclusive list), if none of the refs on the ice is capable of seeing those things, they‘re incompetent and shouldn’t be allowed to officiate another hockey game. This is so obvious though,  I don’t believe it’s coincidence. Those guys are professionals who have been doing their jobs for a long time, if that’s truly the best they can do, all of them need to be replaced. 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/podcasts/2021/5/24/22450768/tony-marinaro-the-sick-podcast-brandon-prust-believes-that-the-habs-will-win-the-series

The Sick Podcast: Brandon Prust believes that the Habs will win the series

Prust did not appreciate Kotkaniemi’s hand gesture after his goal. “Put your head down and go back to the bench and get ready for the next shift.”

Caufield, who sat out the team’s first two games, skated with Joel Armia and Nick Suzuki as the team looks to generate more offence. He confirmed he will be playing the game after practice.

Tomas Tatar did not skate at morning skate, but he will be in the lineup. Eric Staal will be out. Dominique Ducharme said that he will keep his lines to himself until game time as some adjustments will need to be made as Tatar will be in for Staal. Ducharme said that Staal is not 100%.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi skated with Tyler Toffoli and Brendan Gallagher, and Phillip Danault was with Josh Anderson and Paul Byron. Ben Chiarot skated with Shea Weber, as the defence pairings also get moved around. Brett Kulak skated with Jon Merrill.

Jake Evans, who is day-to-day, did not skate with the team. He missed Game 2 with his injury.

44 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Keefe is trying to play head games ...he knows the word is out about the lop-sided penalties in game 2 so he's trying to control the physicality of the game ...Montreal will turn this series up-side-down when they win 4-3 tonight with last change ....they will be physical because it got them a win in Game 1 and they will finally start to score more.. they will put the Leaf's  heads on a swivel so they can't free-wheel ...we'll see a different club tonight and Caulfield will get his first play-off goal .

On 5/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, Regis22 said:

Ducharme said he, Canadiens director of legal affairs John Sedgwick (who previously worked for the NHL’s hockey operations department), video replay analyst Mario Leblanc and director of goaltending Sean Burke all felt Joe Thornton had sufficiently interfered with Price to have the goal reversed.:wacko:

Unbelievable.  Price didn't even show any reaction.  Like Thornton wasn't even there. That would have been my first clue.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/podcasts/2021/5/24/22450768/tony-marinaro-the-sick-podcast-brandon-prust-believes-that-the-habs-will-win-the-series

The Sick Podcast: Brandon Prust believes that the Habs will win the series

Prust did not appreciate Kotkaniemi’s hand gesture after his goal. “Put your head down and go back to the bench and get ready for the next shift.”

Yeah. Even in practice,  it looks like KK is not focused. 

Data from Game 3 shows very discrepant performance among the D men. On the one hand, Kulak did a monster job moving the puck. He had 8 zone exit attempts and managed to hit on 7 of them with successful controlled exits where we maintained possession. Petry had 12 attempts and hit on 6 of them successfully with control, with 2 dump outs and 4 failed clearings. Chiarot also did well, with 10 controlled exits out of 15 attempts while Merrill hit on 4 of 7.

Then you have the bad. Edmundson had 0 controlled exists out of 5 attempts. And Weber was only successful on 2 of 11.

Among forwards, Tatar had 5 successful controlled zone exits out of 5. Kotkaniemi was successful 8 out of 10. Armia, Danault, Gallagher, Caufield, Lehkonen near the bottom for the team in that stat.

Data courtesy Mikael Nahabedian.

• H_T_L locked this topic