The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

45 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Really curious to see how we do next game.  We're in an interesting position- obviously odds are that we lose & its over but if you manage to sneak that win out in game 5, you head back to Montreal, with fans in the stands (albeit 10%) for the first time in over a year. Does that motivate the team?  There's a legit chance if we win tomorrow we can actually force a game 7 - and of course anything can happen in that case.

Im not a betting man - but if i was, I wouldnt bet on us - but there's a sliver of hope of at least a couple more games. 

On the flip side if we lose tomorrow, thats probably it for MB and the rest of the team.  He's had nearly a decade and this year he spent to the cap... and for what.  I dont think even he can pull the wool over Molson's eyes after this season (assuming we lose this series. If we somehow pull off a miracle like 2010 then probably MB gets another year.

Speaking of re-signing, how much have guys like Danault, Tatar and Armia hurt their chances of being resigned after this debacle?  

I would like to re-sign Danault, but he won't sign for what I would offer him. If we could have him for 1-2 more years, that would be interesting to me. Since he already rejected a longer term offer from Bergevin, I'm sure he'll be testing the market this summer.

Joel Armia and Tomas Tatar are replaceable. I don't see either as being integral to Montreal's long-term prospects, so I either sign them to one-year deals or let them walk.

I just cannot imagine a world where Marc Bergevin gets fired by Molson. We will be pondering, "Could this be the year Bergevin is let go," in 2030.

38 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Really curious to see how we do next game.  We're in an interesting position- obviously odds are that we lose & its over but if you manage to sneak that win out in game 5, you head back to Montreal, with fans in the stands (albeit 10%) for the first time in over a year. Does that motivate the team?  There's a legit chance if we win tomorrow we can actually force a game 7 - and of course anything can happen in that case.

Im not a betting man - but if i was, I wouldnt bet on us - but there's a sliver of hope of at least a couple more games. 

On the flip side if we lose tomorrow, thats probably it for MB and the rest of the team.  He's had nearly a decade and this year he spent to the cap... and for what.  I dont think even he can pull the wool over Molson's eyes after this season (assuming we lose this series. If we somehow pull off a miracle like 2010 then probably MB gets another year.

Speaking of re-signing, how much have guys like Danault, Tatar and Armia hurt their chances of being resigned after this debacle?  

I agree I know we can still win. The only game we've actually been out of was game two. With a bounce early to get us started it could happen. Also  lets give Romanov a shot in place of Merril? I would say Kulak as he's been weak defensively but he does provide some offensive spark and it's offense we've been missing.  Danault with the right price 3 million? I could see trying to go with Evans and Poehling to save cap space for maybe other help? I can see resigning Tatar I think a lot will depend on what they think will happen with JD. We're not deep at left wing and again on a reasonable contract? Armia I would again say it depends on the amount. I can't see Perry being resigned at this point but maybe if league minimum. 

Series is over . I cannot envision Montreal winning 3 straight games . The PP is non existent . They are struggling to score goals,  4 in 4 games, 1 is on the PK. The Second periods have been brutal . Third periods they turn it up but can't score .

34 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Series is over . I cannot envision Montreal winning 3 straight games . The PP is non existent . They are struggling to score goals,  4 in 4 games, 1 is on the PK. The Second periods have been brutal . Third periods they turn it up but can't score .

And their ability to push in the third is probably partly because of score effects. Toronto already leading, laying back.

It's the not scoring that's the most disheartening.  I mean I guess that statement would always be true, but specifically it's really frustrating in those periods where we seem to be dominating play but still can't get anything by the goalie.

Watching this whole series, I try to hope for the best but it always feels like we're just one mistake away from losing the game since it's just been so hard to get on the scoresheet.

6 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

It's the not scoring that's the most disheartening.  I mean I guess that statement would always be true, but specifically it's really frustrating in those periods where we seem to be dominating play but still can't get anything by the goalie.

Watching this whole series, I try to hope for the best but it always feels like we're just one mistake away from losing the game since it's just been so hard to get on the scoresheet.

And i think thats how the team feels - and has felt for most of the season.  I have no idea why.  We have Toffoli who finished 7th in the entire league and Anderson was 1 goal behind the top 50.   We have guys that can score.   Tatar is a perennial 20g man.  Perry had a renaissance season.  JK and Suzuki have shown flashes of what they will hopefully one day be... but none of it comes together when we need it.

Win or lose I hope that Molson takes a serious look at the whole management team - GM, coaches etc - because i feel like we have the tools, we just have no plan to put it altogether.   

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Win or lose I hope that Molson takes a serious look at the whole management team - GM, coaches etc - because i feel like we have the tools, we just have no plan to put it altogether.   

I hope so too, but I'm pretty sure Bergevin is here until Hell freezes over.  If the historically bad seasons of years past weren't enough to get rid of him I don't see yet another first round exit making a dent.

I'm also a bit worried about how they go about finding a replacement.  We could end up with another Ducharme situation - yeah it would be great to can Bergevin, but if we replace him with someone whose vision is more or less the same then what's the point?  Whoever comes in, I would hope that they have a real plan for moving forward with some sort of emphasis on our youth, even if it does hurt our chances in the short term.

In any case, back to this series, you're never really out of it when you've got Price playing well.  I mean I think back to the year where we came back to beat the Caps and then the Pens - I don't think we're a better team than Toronto, but anything's possible.  And who knows - while I'm in my wishful thinking mode, maybe we could even start off the rally with a power play goal?

13 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

I hope so too, but I'm pretty sure Bergevin is here until Hell freezes over.  If the historically bad seasons of years past weren't enough to get rid of him I don't see yet another first round exit making a dent.

Im pretty sure that MB has found a way to 'explain' his failures to Molson (who is a super nice guy, trust me, but i get the sense he'll only take so much...) after enough "well you see Geoff, it's this, or its that - i think Molson will finally realize the emperor is naked.

15 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

I'm also a bit worried about how they go about finding a replacement.  We could end up with another Ducharme situation - yeah it would be great to can Bergevin, but if we replace him with someone whose vision is more or less the same then what's the point?  Whoever comes in, I would hope that they have a real plan for moving forward with some sort of emphasis on our youth, even if it does hurt our chances in the short term.

This is definitely a concern.   Bergevin is zero vision or plan, that is clear, but he does certain things as GM (Trades for example) very well. He's also been good with some contracts (but horrible at others) so he definitely isnt without skill. Its not Houle 2.0 who basically mucked everything up - he does some things well.  A few years ago a number of people were suggesting Molson hire a president like Toronto did.  Someone who could see "big picture" and let MB deal with the smaller stuff. I think that would have worked possibly but its too late now.    I am sure there are GMs out there who would be better... and some who would be a whole lot worse.

17 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

In any case, back to this series, you're never really out of it when you've got Price playing well.  I mean I think back to the year where we came back to beat the Caps and then the Pens - I don't think we're a better team than Toronto, but anything's possible.  And who knows - while I'm in my wishful thinking mode, maybe we could even start off the rally with a power play goal?

I agree completely. I would say our team vs toronto (especially without tavares) is considerably better than our team was vs the pens or the caps in 2010 (btw it was Halak that won those series' for us but the point is still the same). 

I have no doubt that if we got a couple of guys like Anderson or Toffoli to break out we'd have a fighting chance and could possibly come-back but thats a big if.   Confidence is at an all time low right now & what we're seeing is a lot of players trying to do too much and getting way too tight on their sticks. 

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

So you're not going to watch anymore?

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Lehky and Evans not playing in next one, so once again day to day injuries being stretched to season ending.

Not necessarily season ending! I take it no one here every buys a lottery ticket? Because odds are why would anyone?

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

I agree until the final buzzer or the fat lady sings I'm still hoping and it has happened before so why not be somewhat optimistic anyway. It's way better than being doom and gloom before actually being eliminated ...........ala band wagon fans. If you've given up already why even watch or post? Go golfing enjoy your summer! 

36 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

So you're not going to watch anymore?

Sure I’ll watch . But I have to be realistic this team isn’t good enough . It wouldn’t have surprised me if they would have missed the playoffs under the old divisions . Their regular season record is not very good . Apart from the 1st 10 to 15 games at the start of the season the remainder of the season was mediocre 

and by the way I don’t golf and im Not a band wagon fan. I’m realistic .

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would like to re-sign Danault, but he won't sign for what I would offer him. If we could have him for 1-2 more years, that would be interesting to me. Since he already rejected a longer term offer from Bergevin, I'm sure he'll be testing the market this summer.

Joel Armia and Tomas Tatar are replaceable. I don't see either as being integral to Montreal's long-term prospects, so I either sign them to one-year deals or let them walk.

I just cannot imagine a world where Marc Bergevin gets fired by Molson. We will be pondering, "Could this be the year Bergevin is let go," in 2030.

I would not touch Danualt, it just give coaches someone to lean on and takes ice time away from the kids. We have to see what, JK, Suzuki, Poelhling and Evans can do through a normal year of hockey. They have to face the tough matchups. They have to become the face of the organization.

If they are not going to let the kids play. I would contact Edmonton and try a sign and trade deal with Edmonton - RNH for Danualt.

I would like to gut this team though... this is the forward group i would start with next season

Suzuki, JK, Poehling, Evans  - Centers

CC, Yolenan, Anderson, ??? Right wing - not likely they trade him Gallagher, I would while he has value

Droiun, Tofffoli, Lekonen, ??? - Left Wing - may be stuck with him Byron

Weber your stuck with, Edmundson your stuck, Petry your stuck with maybe Dumba and 

May be able to move Petry/Harris for Dumba. I would prefer Weber and Harris for Dumba, but that would be Dumba for Minnesota

Romanov we want.

Target UFA Montour or  Dougie Hamilton -   Murray for left side. Kulak and Fleury for 7 and 8, or do a trade for a good young left handed deeman for gallagher

See if you can convince price to make the move, i am sure his value has gone up again, maybe a young prospect and a pick .

IF we cannot do any big changes we could at least do this

Gallagher, Anderson, CC and Yolenan

Suzuki, JK, Poelhing and Evans

Droiun ( fingers crossed), Tofu, Lekonen and Byron

Petry (Dumba), Montour and Weber, Fleury 

Murray, Romanov and Edmundson, Kulak

Allen and Primeu

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Not necessarily season ending! I take it no one here every buys a lottery ticket? Because odds are why would anyone?

Their idea of day to day seems to be week to week They lead us to believe they'll be ready to go next game then two weeks later,,,,,

https://torontosun.com/sports/traikos-is-this-one-sided-leafs-canadiens-series-what-we-waited-42-years-for

Instead, with the Leafs leading the Habs 3-1 in a one-sided series that already feels like it’s over, the hockey has been kind of boring and uneventful.

There have been no overtimes. No stirring comebacks. Aside from the nasty — and accidental — knee to the head that John Tavares received in the series opener, there’s been no bloodshed or anything resembling hatred.

Honestly, we waited 42 years for this?

I don’t know if any of us actually thought that the Canadiens would upset the Leafs in the first round. But most of us anticipated a closer matchup than we’ve seen so far. At the very least, we expected some level of pushback.

Four games in, there’s been none of that. The Habs don’t have anyone who can match the Leafs’ firepower, much less their depth or desire. They can’t score. They can’t defend. Tyler Toffoli has no goals. Brendan Gallagher has no points. Shea Weber has made no impact, whether on the scoresheet or in the trenches.
Since scoring twice in a 2-1 win in Game 1, Montreal has lost 5-1, 2-1 and 4-0.
That’s not a series. That’s a shift-kicking.

Toronto has, indeed, been pummeling us. Like many teams manage to do, I feel like Montreal poured in as much as they could in game one but don't have the talent or conditioning to stay with Toronto. Toronto has been pulling away since game one. Maybe we win tonight. Maybe. But we aren't going to win the series.

If we think back to the team at the beginning of the year - first 10 games or so - when we were flying, scoring, moving the puck with ease... there was much speculation that the team just "came out and played" and then everything changed once we had a few days to practice.    The coaches didnt like the chances we were giving up and felt like we were better to play a "safe" game. 

Well, the safe game isnt working. maybe its time to go back to that freewheeling offense we saw at the beginning of the year?  Adding in Gustofsson tonight is a good start but it shouldnt have been at the expense of Kulak, it should have been Merrill who came out.  

Tell the guys to go out there & skate. Have fun. Could be the last game of the year so what is there to lose? Just do it. Dont overthink it, dont try to make the "safe" play (which often doesnt work anyway).  Put Suzuki with CC and Tofolli. Give JK the other good wingers.  Stop over thinking it (which is obviously not working) & just play the game. 

12 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I can just see the line up for tickets for Sat. game. 

No doubt it will only be those with suites or long time season ticket holders that will get in.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

No doubt it will only be those with suites or long time season ticket holders that will get in.

Ya, high end people. 

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

They should hand out megaphones to every fan Saturday.:lol:

Will be nice not hearing that phony piped in fan noise.

Ya, that would be great to hear. :lol:

I would LOVE to hear OLE' again. :)

19 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I can just see the line up for tickets for Sat. game. 

A fellow on Instagram ( habscave ) I think he already got some $300

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

A fellow on Instagram ( habscave ) I think he already got some $300

That's cheap. 

• H_T_L locked this topic