The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

Congrats! to Cole Caufield on his first professional playoff point!  Many more to come. Good to see DD not afraid to put CC out in OT.  NOW! DD needs to put RoMANov into the lineup!  Next game!  I still say fire bergebin,  @#fire_bergevin

31 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

No doubt it will only be those with suites or long time season ticket holders that will get in.

29 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya, high end people. 

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

A fellow on Instagram ( habscave ) I think he already got some $300

TSN radio is saying that tickets are going for $1,000. 

A guy called in to TSN radio a game or 2 ago, and said that he threw a baseball thru his TV and of course broke it. Tonight he said that he bought a new TV for $471. He said his brother got him tickets for Sat. game for a B-day present. 

Only 13 teams in the NHL’s 21st century have come back from being down 3-1. The Leafs had shut down the Habs at every turn, after losing a disjointed Game 1, but this one got away quickly.

Since the start of the Bergevin era, the Habs have only progressed to the next round of playoffs if they take a 2-0 series lead. That's a very accurate and reliable barometer of the Habs' playoff progression. You can check their playoff history starting 2013. 

Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat its mistakes

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Only 13 teams in the NHL’s 21st century have come back from being down 3-1. The Leafs had shut down the Habs at every turn, after losing a disjointed Game 1, but this one got away quickly.

One down, two to go. No reason why we can't be the 14th team, let's go boys!

9 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Button having another plate of crow tonight.

yep...Mr. Leaf series sweep ...tons of pundits in the "5 game series " category too ....only a couple in the "6- game series "...ALL LEAFS ALL THE TIME....even Mr. "Fair" former stripes-wearing  Ron McLean took a dig at Montreal the other night because Kevin Bieksa dared to say the refs were missing calls favouring the Leafs 

43 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I was totally shocked to see Suzuki win it in OT. 

I was totally shocked to see a two on nothing breakaway in the first minute of OT ( thanks Alex G )

Wanna see the game in person? Here's what you'll need.

On Ticketmaster, there are tickets on sale in Section 115, Row G for $7,865, which means a purchase of two comes in at a total of $15,730. In Section 116, Row W there’s tickets available for $2,299 each, which means almost $4,600 for a pair. In Section 322 Row FF, tickets are $1,758.13 each, which includes $305 for “fees and taxes.” In Section 331 Row AA, there are a pair available for $1,694 each.

On StubHub there are seats for as low as $1,988 to $3,783. On the Bell Centre website, tickets based on purchasing two are available for as low as $1,003 each.

:4845:

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Blowing a three-goal lead was brutal, but expected... Toronto is good. Our D is not.

I was totally shocked to see Suzuki win it in OT. I thought for sure we were gonna fold in the extra frame. I'm glad it was over within one-minute.

Not as glad as me! I had a zoom meeting that started 5 minutes after the goal... i was trying to figure out how i could watch & not be caught. haha. 

14 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Since the start of the Bergevin era, the Habs have only progressed to the next round of playoffs if they take a 2-0 series lead. That's a very accurate and reliable barometer of the Habs' playoff progression. You can check their playoff history starting 2013. 

Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat its mistakes

That's on planet Earth. On planet Zippy it don't work that way, but why would you take my word for it?

Evans could play game 6 and Lehky still doubtful. If he's in, logic would dictate that Staal is out but we'll probably see something stupid like KK being benched again.

58 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Evans could play game 6 and Lehky still doubtful. If he's in, logic would dictate that Staal is out but we'll probably see something stupid like KK being benched again.

If Evans is good to go then I would hope that Suzuki/JK and Danault are the other 3.  I have been left shaking my head at some of the moves DD has made but i would think most likely Staal or Perry comes out (maybe evans plays wing). Staal actually hasnt been horrific (not Merrill bad by any means) but if Evans is healthy he should 100% be playing. His line gave the leafs fits. Put him with any pair of Byron, Lehks, Tatar, Gallagher or Anderson and I think he gives the leafs' lower lines real trouble. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If Evans is good to go then I would hope that Suzuki/JK and Danault are the other 3.  I have been left shaking my head at some of the moves DD has made but i would think most likely Staal or Perry comes out (maybe evans plays wing). Staal actually hasnt been horrific (not Merrill bad by any means) but if Evans is healthy he should 100% be playing. His line gave the leafs fits. Put him with any pair of Byron, Lehks, Tatar, Gallagher or Anderson and I think he gives the leafs' lower lines real trouble. 

if not Staal or Perry, maybe Tatar. They meant to bench him game 3. Honestly he hasn't done much and looks invisible 

45 minutes ago, habsisme said:

if not Staal or Perry, maybe Tatar. They meant to bench him game 3. Honestly he hasn't done much and looks invisible 

I think he'd be top 3 to be scratched for sure. There's a definite trend of his offense drying up in the post season ( 12 pts in 40 playoff games, thats .30ppg which is a far cry from his career .60ppg in the regular season ) but i do think he's played well defensively. I know our problem is scoring but after scoring close to a 1 goal per game (.80GPG) in the regular season we've seen AM limited to 1 goal in 5 games... Im not saying Tatar is the main reason but he's definitely contributed to some of that line's success defensively. 

Id definitely scratch Tatar for the Evans we saw in game 1 but i wouldnt scratch him while we still have Perry or Staal in the lineup. 

37 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Tuna is certainly not elevating his game sufficiently enough to consider resigning him for any free agent contract with the Habs. That magic line of Danault Gallagher and Tuna to give them credit have been consumed with keeping Captain Underpants and Marner off the scoresheet.

12 minutes ago, claremont said:

Tuna is certainly not elevating his game sufficiently enough to consider resigning him for any free agent contract with the Habs. That magic line of Danault Gallagher and Tuna to give them credit have been consumed with keeping Captain Underpants and Marner off the scoresheet.

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think he'd be top 3 to be scratched for sure. There's a definite trend of his offense drying up in the post season ( 12 pts in 40 playoff games, thats .30ppg which is a far cry from his career .60ppg in the regular season ) but i do think he's played well defensively. I know our problem is scoring but after scoring close to a 1 goal per game (.80GPG) in the regular season we've seen AM limited to 1 goal in 5 games... Im not saying Tatar is the main reason but he's definitely contributed to some of that line's success defensively. 

Id definitely scratch Tatar for the Evans we saw in game 1 but i wouldnt scratch him while we still have Perry or Staal in the lineup. 

He has no extra gear, unlike some other guys around the league. I agree that he's played reasonably well defensively in this series, but 3 registered shots on goal in 5 games is just not going to cut it for a scoring winger. For comparison's sake, Matthews sits at 25 shots and has been a threat even when he's not scoring a whole lot of goals (still 4 points in 5 games though), while Tatar has been invisible offensively (this applies to the entire line of course). I like him and he seems to like it in Montreal, but he's not the kind of player we should be signing to an inflated long-term deal. Same for Danault. Good player, smart, sound defensively, lots of things to like but not at the kind of money he's likely to command.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Perry has done little things that  Staal has not.

Evans, Perry and Armia would do well I think  

16 hours ago, ChiLla said:

He has no extra gear, unlike some other guys around the league. I agree that he's played reasonably well defensively in this series, but 3 registered shots on goal in 5 games is just not going to cut it for a scoring winger. For comparison's sake, Matthews sits at 25 shots and has been a threat even when he's not scoring a whole lot of goals (still 4 points in 5 games though), while Tatar has been invisible offensively (this applies to the entire line of course). I like him and he seems to like it in Montreal, but he's not the kind of player we should be signing to an inflated long-term deal. Same for Danault. Good player, smart, sound defensively, lots of things to like but not at the kind of money he's likely to command.

agree wholeheartedly - if we sign Tatar or Danault, we are just hanging on for the vicious cycle of mediocrity 

Assuming Tatar is actually healthy, they need to bring him back in Game 7 and slide Evans back to center in place of Staal. It's an easy easy decision. You get a hungry Tatar and you remove your old, slow player in Staal. Staal hasn't been quite as bad as he was in the regular season, but what is he really bringing? He's not to the go-to faceoff man, he doesn't add anything to special teams, he's too slow for ES... Tatar at least has a chance to break a GWG for you. I'd go

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli

Armia-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Byron-Evans-Perry

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Chiarot

• H_T_L locked this topic