The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Assuming Tatar is actually healthy, they need to bring him back in Game 7 and slide Evans back to center in place of Staal. It's an easy easy decision. You get a hungry Tatar and you remove your old, slow player in Staal. Staal hasn't been quite as bad as he was in the regular season, but what is he really bringing? He's not to the go-to faceoff man, he doesn't add anything to special teams, he's too slow for ES... Tatar at least has a chance to break a GWG for you. I'd go

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli

Armia-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Byron-Evans-Perry

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Weber

Romanov-Chiarot

What,,, common sense,,,, with this management team??? More likely that Lehky is a go for game 7 and they drop another forward like Byron to keep Staal in there. Forget Romanov,,,, just won't happen.

FWIW, Toronto without Tavares and playing with a clearly still-injured Foligno then lost Muzzin in Game 6. He's rumored to have pulled a groin, so if he does play, have to think he's not 100% either and at risk of re-injuring it... Campbell is facing adversity for maybe the first time this year... There's an opening here to take advantage of, but like I said, disastrous coaching still makes us the underdog.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Toronto without Tavares and playing with a clearly still-injured Foligno then lost Muzzin in Game 6. He's rumored to have pulled a groin, so if he does play, have to think he's not 100% either and at risk of re-injuring it... Campbell is facing adversity for maybe the first time this year... There's an opening here to take advantage of, but like I said, disastrous coaching still makes us the underdog.

The press is on them now too in Laffs world they are all afraid of yet another collapse! We do seem to have a shot it is slim though! last night Webber played more minutes than years he has been alive! that is a lot for him! Don't know what the issue was with Gustavsson he looked good last night and the boys could have used a couple of shifts by the third pair to catch their breath! We are going to have to make some changes behind the bench and in the head office as I think we are better than this, not a ton but we have better players waiting to play than we are putting on the ice in deciding games!

A little story to relay. We had a crappy weather day here on Friday in Southern Ontario that stretched through the night into Sat. morning. I live in an area with a lot of mature trees and when i got up Sat. i looked outside and saw a ton of green maple leaves on the ground. I thought at first that we must have had some big winds come through over night but surprisingly there were no branches down,,, just leaves and only maple ones, despite the variety of trees in my back yard and the area.

Later that day i went out to blow them off my deck and clean the mess off the lawn. My neighbour was out at the same time and we stopped to talk about how unusual it was to have to rake up leaves this time of year. The talk migrated over to Game 6 that night and all of a sudden we both just cracked up almost at the same time. He blurts out what we were both thinking,,,,, Leafs are going down.:lol:

Ducharme has some tough choices to make. Gustavsson can move the puck but is a huge liability defensively, or on  the PP and at this stage I think Merrill has a slight edge. Kulak is the more reliable of the 3 but has been getting pushed off the puck rather easily. I am not sure you can put Romanov in a game 7 after getting him to sit on the bench the whole series.

Without last change Ducharme will have to watch who he has on the ice a little more carefully. At this point going with a 5 man rotation or pairing a top 4 defenceman with Kulak or Merrill for their shifts may be the best alternative. I would not trust Kulak and Merrill or Gustavsson as a bottom pairing going into game 7. A 5 man rotation would allow us to dress and extra forward, but puts the D at risk if someone gets hurt and is very unlikely. Pairing Kulak with a Weber or Petry and Merrill with Edmundsen or Chiarot would work much better for me. Glad to see Evans back and Tatar out as he has brought nothing to this series. I imagine the lines will be juggled a little to compensate for not having last change. I'm not sure about Petry's stats but he has been a bit of a problem as he seems to have been on the ice for a lot of the Leaf goals and there is nowhere to hide him. 

39 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Ducharme has some tough choices to make. Gustavsson can move the puck but is a huge liability defensively, or on  the PP and at this stage I think Merrill has a slight edge. Kulak is the more reliable of the 3 but has been getting pushed off the puck rather easily. I am not sure you can put Romanov in a game 7 after getting him to sit on the bench the whole series.

Without last change Ducharme will have to watch who he has on the ice a little more carefully. At this point going with a 5 man rotation or pairing a top 4 defenceman with Kulak or Merrill for their shifts may be the best alternative. I would not trust Kulak and Merrill or Gustavsson as a bottom pairing going into game 7. A 5 man rotation would allow us to dress and extra forward, but puts the D at risk if someone gets hurt and is very unlikely. Pairing Kulak with a Weber or Petry and Merrill with Edmundsen or Chiarot would work much better for me. Glad to see Evans back and Tatar out as he has brought nothing to this series. I imagine the lines will be juggled a little to compensate for not having last change. I'm not sure about Petry's stats but he has been a bit of a problem as he seems to have been on the ice for a lot of the Leaf goals and there is nowhere to hide him. 

Did one of them get hurt last night? Why did we play Weber (37min) Chiarot (35 min) Petry (34) and Eddy (28)  while Gustafsson and Kulak  got only 6 min each?  I managed to see most of the game but had to have the sound off and missed a few bits here and there so I have no idea why they did this?

Just now, maas_art said:

Did one of them get hurt last night? Why did we play Weber (37min) Chiarot (35 min) Petry (34) and Eddy (28)  while Gustafsson and Kulak  got only 6 min each?  I managed to see most of the game but had to have the sound off and missed a few bits here and there so I have no idea why they did this?

No injuries. Totally the coaches call to run with 4 the rest of the way.

13 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Can we win 3 in a row? 

This team has let me down numerous times in the last decade ... but yes, yes we are going to win Game 7.

I know it's only 2 OT wins .. but I'm getting vibes of 93

4 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

But what says Gus is a "huge defensive liability" so far since he's gotten here? He has one of the best possession records on the team and last night, he was on for 8 shot attempts for at ES and 0 against. ZERO. The Leafs got no shots, no scoring chances, and no shot attempts at any point when he was on the ice. I get that he's not a top D man in the league but he played well and a rested Gustafsson is certainly better than a Weber or Chiarot who's already played 25-35 minutes. The idea that guys who can skate and pass the puck must be defensive liabilities because they don't hit or block as many shots and aren't as big is a huge fallacy. If you have the puck and re-launch the offence quickly, it's keeping the puck out of your own net too. Don't understand why our brass is too blind to see that.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I could get shortening your bench in the third period of Game 7 of the Cup finals. But we don't have the horses to do that and to boot, the guys who are sitting are better than the guys who are playing. It's idiotic.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

But what says Gus is a "huge defensive liability" so far since he's gotten here? He has one of the best possession records on the team and last night, he was on for 8 shot attempts for at ES and 0 against. ZERO. The Leafs got no shots, no scoring chances, and no shot attempts at any point when he was on the ice. I get that he's not a top D man in the league but he played well and a rested Gustafsson is certainly better than a Weber or Chiarot who's already played 25-35 minutes. The idea that guys who can skate and pass the puck must be defensive liabilities because they don't hit or block as many shots and aren't as big is a huge fallacy. If you have the puck and re-launch the offence quickly, it's keeping the puck out of your own net too. Don't understand why our brass is too blind to see that.

I could get shortening your bench in the third period of Game 7 of the Cup finals. But we don't have the horses to do that and to boot, the guys who are sitting are better than the guys who are playing. It's idiotic.

My criticism of Gus involves his skating up the ice as the last man and giving up a breakaway in game 5 and then being the last man back on the powerplay and passing the puck into a highly dangerous area that almost resulted in a shorthanded breakaway. He is skilled when the puck is on his stick but checking others and making good decisions are not the same as his possessing the puck. Glachenyuk (thank you very much) made a similar play in game 5 and did not get away with it. The potential for unnecessarily high risk plays is a problem for me. But our options are limited. I would have to say my personal risk assessment would not want Gus on against the opponents top two lines as even on the PP he has made some poor choices. 

8 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

My criticism of Gus involves his skating up the ice as the last man and giving up a breakaway in game 5 and then being the last man back on the powerplay and passing the puck into a highly dangerous area that almost resulted in a shorthanded breakaway. He is skilled when the puck is on his stick but checking others and making good decisions are not the same as his possessing the puck. Glachenyuk (thank you very much) made a similar play in game 5 and did not get away with it. The potential for unnecessarily high risk plays is a problem for me. But our options are limited. I would have to say my personal risk assessment would not want Gus on against the opponents top two lines as even on the PP he has made some poor choices. 

Oh absolutely, Gus makes me nervous at times given his history in the league. But so too do Weber, Chiarot, an Edmundson. Chiarot and Edmundson had both already coughed up the puck for goals against in Game 6. My point is this: it's not that Gus is good, but the numbers said that the team hadn't given up a shot attempt with him on and he's really no worse than the 3 old slow guys they chose to keep playing for 35 minutes. By the end of the third, those guys all looked like they had no energy, they couldn't skate, they couldn't pass the puck. They were just standing there waiting for the Leafs to attack them and then flipping the puck out of the zone and waiting for another onslaught. They had several shifts during the game where they were caught out there for over 2 minutes.

At the end of the day, our brains might remember a gaffe where a guy like Gus trips over his own feet or gets caught out of position. But each play might still lead to one scoring chance against. But when Chiarot turns the puck over because he can't clear his zone properly or when Weber gets caught in the corner not covering his man properly or when Edmundson gets beat by a guy with skill causing him to back up into his own goalie and then allowing a screen shot from the crease, those are also plays that allow a scoring chance against.

Here are some numbers for the regular season:

- With respect to Corsi (shot attempts for/against), Gus had the best numbers on the team with a Corsi For % of 64.1% albeit in only an hour of ES ice time. Kulak was next at 56.3%.

- In terms of scoring chances, we got 68% of the chances with Gus on the ice (#1 on the team again). We got 55% with Kulak on (4th on team, just behind Petry and Edmundson, who were both at 56%).

- Scoring chances against per 60 minutes of ice time? Gus once again ranking best overall with 11 chances per 60. All the other D men were between 21-24 chances against per 60, with Kulak 3rd best on the team.

I'm not arguing Gus nor Kulak is actually our best D man. But I'm saying the numbers suggest they are just as safe and even safer to use than other D men, if given appropriate ice time and mach-ups and so on. There was zero reason why we couldn't have used them for 15 minutes each against the other teams' 3rd and 4th lines, especially with last change at home in Game 6.

I would use Gus over Merril hands down, but then again I would pretty much use anyone over Merril at this point.  Weber has been the one to actually surprise me, he has shown some great improvement in the playoffs IMO.  Certainly not the Weber of old but has still been a huge improvement.

45 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Let Toronto complete its meltdown tonight.  Nobody on this forum is going to feel sorry for them.  

This.

I love articles like this too. They havent aged well:  if the series goes five games Montreal should feel proud because realistically, they don’t have a chance.

"In the meantime, the Canadiens can count the playoffs a success if they avoid a sweep.The Toronto Maple Leafs should have no trouble whatsoever beating a weak Montreal team that lacks star power. The Leafs should easily sweep the Habs, but if the series goes five games Montreal should feel proud because realistically, they don’t have a chance."

:4224:

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This.

I love articles like this too. They havent aged well:  if the series goes five games Montreal should feel proud because realistically, they don’t have a chance.

"In the meantime, the Canadiens can count the playoffs a success if they avoid a sweep.The Toronto Maple Leafs should have no trouble whatsoever beating a weak Montreal team that lacks star power. The Leafs should easily sweep the Habs, but if the series goes five games Montreal should feel proud because realistically, they don’t have a chance."

:4224:

Love it. :4224::4224:

• H_T_L locked this topic