Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -


Recommended Posts

IMHO, there are 2 things that are certain:

  • Leafs will win this 1st round series
  • Habs will not be swept

Personally, I don't think this Habs team has what it takes to take it to 7 games against the Leafs.  The most consistent Habs scorer currently is Tofolli.  He and Josh Anderson were the best off-season acquisitions and most dangerous Habs for the opponents' goalie.  On their account + Suzuki's, I'll go with Leafs in 6 games.  Trust me, it will be the Habs' D (my money is on Ben Chiarot and Shea Weber) and Carey Price who'll let the team down again.

Since it's playoff time, I'm going to make a controversial yet objective and statistically verifiable statement.  Like it or not, in retrospect under the MB regime, Michel Therrien had a better playoff track record for the Habs than Claude Julien did, even though people say CJ was the superior coach.  I'm not a Therrien fan or supporter, but the stats proved that Therrien was the last Habs HC to win at least 1 playoff round and multiple divisional titles.  Claude Julien didn't, and Dominique Ducharme won't.   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Montreal in 4, we have not played at our best yet this year. Everyone on the Habs had a bad year last year but our best players still elevated their games for the playoffs and we swept the Pens and gave the Flyers a good run for their money. This years team is much much better than last years and our best players are still here to elevate their games once again. I say we not only sweep the Leafs but we also take the Oilers in 6 to win the division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

omg could you imagine?  There would be no water shortage ever again with the amount of tears flowing in ontario... 

No tears here i can assure you (unless your counting tears of joy).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

OMG it must be Laffs on double hyper drive in Ontario. Sorry to you guys that have to hear it non stop.

It will all be worth it when they do their yearly tank. Until then, i'm really limiting how much i watch TSN,,, otherwise i'd be testing daily for Covid like symptoms of nausea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

OMG it must be Laffs on double hyper drive in Ontario. Sorry to you guys that have to hear it non stop.

 

41 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I’m not saying we’re going to win but imagine if Toronto loses! :5210:

 

18 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It will all be worth it when they do their yearly tank. Until then, i'm really limiting how much i watch TSN,,, otherwise i'd be testing daily for Covid like symptoms of nausea.

I have read like 5-6 leafs articles now. Its crazy how much they are overhyping their team.  

I mean dont get me wrong: Matthews is a stud.  Marner & Tavares are excellent.   Nylander & a few others are good support players But they have some holes in the lower half of their lineup.  If we can contain their top 6 we could actually exploit their bottom 6. 

Reilly is a great first pair dman.  They have come a long way on defense but they do not have "the best defense in the league" as ive heard a few TO homers say.   This is not the 2014-17 nashville predators.  lol.

In nets they have 2 big question marks.  A vet who has had a few colossal chokes in the playoffs and a guy with a stellar regular season who has never played an NHL playoff game... 

 

Im not saying we're going to win, but i would not be surprised if we do. It will be so sweet to see all these TO experts eat their words. lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Windoe said:

Assuming no Drouin:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher (shut down their top line, our proven top line)
Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield (hey we can score too)
Armia-Kotkaniemi-Anderson (physical with scoring capabilities)
Lehkonen-Evans-Byron (good line as of late)

Perry coming in as first call for an injury

Leafs in 6

I really like these lines and only may change Perry/Byron as we wouldn't need Byron's speed as much against the Leafs. Perry has been good on the PP but there may not be as many PP's in the playoffs anyway. So I would go with your lines.(without) Drouin in. 

HABS in 6!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

IMHO, there are 2 things that are certain:

  • Leafs will win this 1st round series
  • Habs will not be swept

Personally, I don't think this Habs team has what it takes to take it to 7 games against the Leafs.  The most consistent Habs scorer currently is Tofolli.  He and Josh Anderson were the best off-season acquisitions and most dangerous Habs for the opponents' goalie.  On their account + Suzuki's, I'll go with Leafs in 6 games.  Trust me, it will be the Habs' D (my money is on Ben Chiarot and Shea Weber) and Carey Price who'll let the team down again.

Since it's playoff time, I'm going to make a controversial yet objective and statistically verifiable statement.  Like it or not, in retrospect under the MB regime, Michel Therrien had a better playoff track record for the Habs than Claude Julien did, even though people say CJ was the superior coach.  I'm not a Therrien fan or supporter, but the stats proved that Therrien was the last Habs HC to win at least 1 playoff round and multiple divisional titles.  Claude Julien didn't, and Dominique Ducharme won't.   

 

He also won with MVP Carey Price and a hot playoff goalie (Halak, Theyedore , Roy, Dryden) and goalies for other teams. A hot goaltender can make a coach look great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There certainly are a lot of doubters out there, and that’s just the way I like it! Let the talking heads talk. I’m not saying that we will beat the Leafs, but we definitely can. Talk about being over hyped... If this were a normal season, just based on points as they are, Leafs would be what, 3rd place? (mind you by that same stat line I believe we wouldn’t even have made the playoffs, but still...)

They are not the monster that they are being portrayed as. And we are not as bad as we appear. Forgot the regular season, it’s over. This is a whole new season. If Danault, Gallagher, Weber and Price are set to go (which I assume they will be) we have a pretty solid roster to play with, with parts to spare. And that’s not even counting Drouin, who I’d like to imagine is hold up in a cabin in the Arctic somewhere, skating up and down mountains with “hearts on fire” blasting in his earbuds on loop. Watching a steady diet of “Top Gun” every day for breakfast and “The Rocket” for dinner. Basically doing whatever he needs to do to get his mojo back so that when we need him, he’s ready to jump in like our own little Maverick! We CAN beat the Leafs, and we CAN beat either of the Jets/Oilers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

There certainly are a lot of doubters out there, and that’s just the way I like it! Let the talking heads talk. I’m not saying that we will beat the Leafs, but we definitely can. Talk about being over hyped... If this were a normal season, just based on points as they are, Leafs would be what, 3rd place? (mind you by that same stat line I believe we wouldn’t even have made the playoffs, but still...)

They are not the monster that they are being portrayed as. And we are not as bad as we appear. Forgot the regular season, it’s over. This is a whole new season. If Danault, Gallagher, Weber and Price are set to go (which I assume they will be) we have a pretty solid roster to play with, with parts to spare. And that’s not even counting Drouin, who I’d like to imagine is hold up in a cabin in the Arctic somewhere, skating up and down mountains with “hearts on fire” blasting in his earbuds on loop. Watching a steady diet of “Top Gun” every day for breakfast and “The Rocket” for dinner. Basically doing whatever he needs to do to get his mojo back so that when we need him, he’s ready to jump in like our own little Maverick! We CAN beat the Leafs, and we CAN beat either of the Jets/Oilers. 

Post of the day.

The visual of Drouin alone is worth a tear or two :)


And I agree with you: way may NOT win - but we CAN win with this roster if everyone plays the way they should & the coaching staff makes the right calls.   I am cautiously optimistic and man do i want to see the TO faithful melt down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Post of the day.

The visual of Drouin alone is worth a tear or two :)


And I agree with you: way may NOT win - but we CAN win with this roster if everyone plays the way they should & the coaching staff makes the right calls.   I am cautiously optimistic and man do i want to see the TO faithful melt down. 

Ahha thanks, and absolutely! The thought of O-dog pouting behind his webcam... priceless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my two cents is that the Leafs are a more fragile group than they appear in the regular season ....the key is to hit them and get them off their game ....top 5 point producers on Toronto Marner 23 hits in 55 games , Matthews 57 hits in 51 , Tavaras 55 hits in 51 Nylander 12 hits in 55 Reilly 63 in 54  ..top 5 point producers on Montreal Toffoli 75 hits in 52 games , Petry 97 in 55  ,Suzuki 70 in 56 , Tatar 63 in 50 , Anderson 139 in 52 games  ....this is the key to the series if Montreal is relentless ...the biggest Leaf forward with  hits at 131 is Foligno ...Romanov has 138 ...biggest hitting D man on the Leafs is Muzzin at 100 ...let the games begin 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BornToBeAHab said:

What a dumb idea to have these games at 1:00 in the afternoon!

didn't see that. I only see the time for the first 2, is it game 3 maybe? Maybe they're trying to mitigate the back to back by making the first game early?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah the cruise ship to Haiti Playoffs with the band playing the conch shell tunes of yesteryear.

580.000 dead Americans from this Covid it's fairly difficult to care who wins. Even Toronto. Case closed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2021 at 2:58 AM, campabee82 said:

Montreal in 4, we have not played at our best yet this year. Everyone on the Habs had a bad year last year but our best players still elevated their games for the playoffs and we swept the Pens and gave the Flyers a good run for their money. This years team is much much better than last years and our best players are still here to elevate their games once again. I say we not only sweep the Leafs but we also take the Oilers in 6 to win the division.

That's what I believe will happen. Beat the Leafs,  we'll beat Edmonton. Winnipeg? Not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, habby67 said:

If DD doesn't insert CC into the lineup then I lose all hope. I know he's a rookie and all but with 5 points in 10 games he has earned his right. 

From Stu Cowan:

"The forward lines head coach Dominique Ducharme set up gave an indication of what the lineup will look like when the series begins next Thursday night in Toronto (7:30 p.m., CBC SN, TVA Sports, TSN 690 Radio, 98.5 FM). Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Cole Caufield and Michael Frolik were wearing grey jerseys and were on the fifth line, indicating they will be healthy scratches. All the other forwards were wearing red or white jerseys."

 

Here’s how the forward lines looked at practice:

Tatar – Danault – Gallagher
Toffoli – Suzuki – Armia
Perry – Staal – Anderson
Lehkonen – Evans – Byron
Frolik – Kotkaniemi – Caufield

 

Phillip Danault (concussion), Brendan Gallagher (fractured thumb) and goalie Carey Price (concussion) all looked to be fully recovered from their injuries while taking part in the practice.

Captain Shea Weber (upper body) skated alone with a member of the Canadiens’ training staff on Saturday morning and didn’t take part in the team practice.

Here’s how the defence pairings looked without Weber

Edmundson – Petry
Kulak – Chiarot
Ouellet – Romanov
Merrill – Gustafsson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

That's what I believe will happen. Beat the Leafs,  we'll beat Edmonton. Winnipeg? Not so sure.

Changing my prediction after seeing that the plan for game one was Frolik, Caufield and Kotkaniemi are the healthy scratches. Leafs in 4! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...