The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

A line of Perry-Staal-Anderson is going to get schooled when Toronto has last change.

And that is the first thought that crossed my mind. 

As most of you know, im always an optimist. I know we likely wont win but I do hope we do & I wouldnt be shocked to see an upset.  That said, I just want to post these two images - last year & this.

E1cdFYOWYAkysEW.jpegE1cEIuSWUAEcoWW.jpeg

Another upset in the making?  Lets hope.  I think we are a much better team than we were last year. I think Pittsburgh was a better team than Toronto is.

Obviously we've had our struggles but I would love to prove the "experts" wrong. 

On 5/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, HabsRuleForever said:

It all depends on the deployment like Big Ted said. Unfortunately this regime will probably get it wrong again.

Old age deployment we’re done in 3 lol.

Youth and everyone else used properly then Habs in 7.

You nailed it. If it were possible in 3, it would. 

15 hours ago, habs1952 said:

And that is the first thought that crossed my mind. 

Yuuuuuuuup.

Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised, but I cannot imagine scenario where Toronto doesn't take advantage of that line at 5-on-5. Not sure how Ducharme could justify making Caulfield a healthy scratch in game one. Dude was scoring at a 32 goal pace in his first 10 NHL games.

24 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Not sure how Ducharme could justify making Caulfield a healthy scratch in game one. Dude was scoring at a 32 goal pace in his first 10 NHL games.

That decision has MB's finger print all over it IMO. You must play Staal at all costs.

12 hours ago, maas_art said:

As most of you know, im always an optimist. I know we likely wont win but I do hope we do & I wouldnt be shocked to see an upset.  That said, I just want to post these two images - last year & this.

E1cdFYOWYAkysEW.jpegE1cEIuSWUAEcoWW.jpeg

Another upset in the making?  Lets hope.  I think we are a much better team than we were last year. I think Pittsburgh was a better team than Toronto is.

Obviously we've had our struggles but I would love to prove the "experts" wrong. 

Hard to argue with facts. Following the herd seems a little silly. Toronto's 4th line of Simmonds, Spezza and Thronton make us look young by comparison. While I give the Leafs and edge on their top 2 lines, I prefer our D, 3rd and 4th lines and goalie. We need to show up and the team has only show up for abour 5 of our last 20 games. We showed up against the Pens in the fall and need to do it again. If they all get it wrong again are they still the experts?

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yuuuuuuuup.

Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised, but I cannot imagine scenario where Toronto doesn't take advantage of that line at 5-on-5. Not sure how Ducharme could justify making Caulfield a healthy scratch in game one. Dude was scoring at a 32 goal pace in his first 10 NHL games.

this could be one of the reasons we  do not win the series :5155:

Want reason for optimism? Players at practice are saying Price is in top form! They are cheering when someone finally gets a puck past him in practice cause he is stopping everything. Maybe he steals this Leafs series for us?!

Just now, campabee82 said:

Want reason for optimism? Players at practice are saying Price is in top form! They are cheering when someone finally gets a puck past him in practice cause he is stopping everything. Maybe he steals this Leafs series for us?!

its on him. If this team is built around Price and Price is the stellar goalie he once was, then the sky is the limit. I'd say same for Weber. Its really on them. Those are our best players, are two captains really. I'd be more no than yes on Price being Price, but there's definitely a chance!

s

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yuuuuuuuup.

Holt crap I never did the math on Caufield until now, but what is amazing to realize is that is just like 8-10 goals less than Matthews scored this season. To accomplish that feat in your rookie season is just mind blowing.

DD said that Weber should be back at practice soon and that he would be surprised if he isn't in the line-up for game 1. The Habs have already made multiple mistakes with their forward line-up. Hopefully they don't do the same on the back end. If they're planning on reuniting Chiarot-Weber, then Kulak looks like the placeholder to sit. If they're putting Weber with Romanov or Merrill, then the other one would be out. We know Chiarot is safe and we know Edmundson will pair with Petry. That's about all we know. Would love to see Kulak with Weber and Romanov with Chiarot, but I doubt we'll get it.

32 minutes ago, BornToBeAHab said:

If the habs lose this series because they will not sit staul ,then DD and Bergevin should not be back next to year!

Haha, that's not up to fans to decide :frech1:.  Molson calls the shots and don't be surprised if a Bergevin contract extension is incoming :6351:.

Posted this in "State of the Habs"  - looking for answers..........

Just heard an interesting thing from my french ami. He said, that on the RDS station, that one of the conditions of Stall waving his no trade condition, was that he play in the playoffs.  If this is indeed true, and my ami said so, then bergevin needs to be fired asap. He painted himself into a corner and allowed a player to barter for playing time and not earn it. Can anybody verify this?  It wouldn't surprise me.

34 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Just heard an interesting thing from my french ami. He said, that on the RDS station, that one of the conditions of Stall waving his no trade condition, was that he play in the playoffs.  If this is indeed true, and my ami said so, then bergevin needs to be fired asap. He painted himself into a corner and allowed a player to barter for playing time and not earn it. Can anybody verify this?  It wouldn't surprise me.

I would actually kind of doubt that if nothing because Stahl had no real bargaining power as the tea, he was on wasn't going to be in the playoffs. Also even if he did what could Stahl do if they did sit him? Sounds like a sound bite for a story. Either way it really doesn't make a difference, they can still play him any where they want or not at all. Which at this point it should be. I understand CC sitting out a lot less than I do JK though at this time. It's not like JK has been playing great or lighting it up. The playoffs might be a push he needs though also. With Evans playing strong and Danault back I would play JK over Stahl. I wonder if they may have some concern for Danault and think if needed Stahl could help out more if Danault needed to be managed to start with? 

49 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Just heard an interesting thing from my french ami. He said, that on the RDS station, that one of the conditions of Stall waving his no trade condition, was that he play in the playoffs. 

RDS stirring up nonsense. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

"If" that is correct, then Staal only has to play in one game. The Habs would then fullfill their obligation. 

20 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

"If" that is correct, then Staal only has to play in one game. The Habs would then fullfill their obligation. 

I hope, that you are unequivocably correct!  Say no to Stall.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

DD said that Weber should be back at practice soon and that he would be surprised if he isn't in the line-up for game 1. The Habs have already made multiple mistakes with their forward line-up. Hopefully they don't do the same on the back end. If they're planning on reuniting Chiarot-Weber, then Kulak looks like the placeholder to sit. If they're putting Weber with Romanov or Merrill, then the other one would be out. We know Chiarot is safe and we know Edmundson will pair with Petry. That's about all we know. Would love to see Kulak with Weber and Romanov with Chiarot, but I doubt we'll get it.

One key for me is that Weber should not be on the first pairing - The speed of the Matthews Marner Foligno combo after the zone entry would IMO really expose him unless Danault really bails him out on the back check. We need a defense pairing that can at least skate and Petry with whomever would appear to be the best strategic move.

How does everyone feel about this "conditioning stint" for Gallagher and Price? Seems silly to me. Kucherov just came back for TB and played super well in his first game. Are you telling me Gallagher and Price need to risk injury playing in a meaningless Laval game because they aren't ready for Thursday?

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

How does everyone feel about this "conditioning stint" for Gallagher and Price? Seems silly to me. Kucherov just came back for TB and played super well in his first game. Are you telling me Gallagher and Price need to risk injury playing in a meaningless Laval game because they aren't ready for Thursday?

Its a tough one.    

Do they technically need a game to get ready? Probably not - we're talking about veterans here. But I would assume they want to (perhaps asked themselves) because otherwise other guys like Danault would be getting warmups too.

I agree that on paper it seems like the cons outweigh the pros but you can also get injured taking out the trash - many years ago Ron Tugnutt got a groin pull while tying his shoes - but i also trust that they know what they are doing.

I can see why Price wants a game (goaltending is so much about focus and timing, something you just dont get in practice) Im surprised Gally wants one but Id guess he's so "itching to go" that he wants to do anything to get his feet moving at this point.

That said, id feel a lot better if we werent playing the Maple Leaf's farm team. I mean im SURE no one will try anything but all you need is one idiot like a Tkachuk or Tom Wilson type player who is trying to make the laffs next year & attempts to make a name for himself by taking out Price or something. 

• H_T_L locked this topic