The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

How does everyone feel about this "conditioning stint" for Gallagher and Price? Seems silly to me. Kucherov just came back for TB and played super well in his first game. Are you telling me Gallagher and Price need to risk injury playing in a meaningless Laval game because they aren't ready for Thursday?

Probably just a test run to make sure they can go.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

With that said, id feel a lot better if we werent playing the Maple Leaf's farm team. I mean im SURE no one will try anything but all you need is one idiot like a Tkachuk or Tom Wilson type player who is trying to make the laffs next year & attempts to make a name for himself by taking out Price or something. 

Oh God, is the Leafs' farm team? :rolleyes: This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

36 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Probably just a test run to make sure they can go.

Have Price or Gallagher ever required a conditioning stint after an injury before? :ph34r: I'm asking because I don't know. Not to be annoying. I just don't like the idea of them playing a game in Laval. If they've come back from their past injuries without requiring a conditioning stint, it seems foolish to risk it now.

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh God, is the Leafs' farm team? :rolleyes: This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Ya. im pretty sure nothing will happen but there's always that guy out there trying to make a name for himself. 

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Have Price or Gallagher ever required a conditioning stint after an injury before? :ph34r: I'm asking because I don't know. Not to be annoying. I just don't like the idea of them playing a game in Laval. If they've come back from their past injuries without requiring a conditioning stint, it seems foolish to risk it now.

To my knowledge neither has - at least not in a long time.  Its a surprising move but im going to trust the team knows what its doing.  I know, a foolish mistake on my part. haha.

meanwhile, i can only imagine how full the Habs' tack board is right now. The Toronto media is giving them motivation almost hourly.  Here's a new one that I imagine will get Carey Price good and ready:

"At the end of the day, Price is just a flashy name. He’s that toy in the box that was amazing to play with 10 years ago, but his batteries are now dying and the buttons are falling apart. When everything goes right, it works perfectly, but more times than not, there’s an issue."

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ya. im pretty sure nothing will happen but there's always that guy out there trying to make a name for himself. 

To my knowledge neither has - at least not in a long time.  Its a surprising move but im going to trust the team knows what its doing.  I know, a foolish mistake on my part. haha.

meanwhile, i can only imagine how full the Habs' tack board is right now. The Toronto media is giving them motivation almost hourly.  Here's a new one that I imagine will get Carey Price good and ready:

"At the end of the day, Price is just a flashy name. He’s that toy in the box that was amazing to play with 10 years ago, but his batteries are now dying and the buttons are falling apart. When everything goes right, it works perfectly, but more times than not, there’s an issue."

Not unlike what some Habs fans have been saying except for the "flashy name / toy in the box " " part ....In watching the Washington/Boston and the Florida /Tampa Bay games yesterday we're reminded how tough and hungry teams around the league are ...just watching those games should be motivation enough ...if Toronto is thinking about mailing this series in they're in for a surprise ...the Toronto sportsmedia lovefest hasn't even begun and Montreal is an afterthought ..tons of stuff to post on the dressing room wall

Bulletin board material sounds nice but if the habs continue to play as they have the last 40 games they be golfing  ( ooops can’t golf ) in a couple of weeks

27 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Bulletin board material sounds nice but if the habs continue to play as they have the last 40 games they be golfing  ( ooops can’t golf ) in a couple of weeks

No question. Motivation only goes so far. They need to actually follow through, but im cautiously optimistic. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Dumb sports media. Can't even remember what years Carey was elite. It was 2013-2017, not ten years ago. :ph34r: :lol:

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

No question. Motivation only goes so far. They need to actually follow through, but im cautiously optimistic. 

I think Toronto will actually be really hungry. This is potential THE year for them. And they've likely been steeled from past disappointments. This is going to be a difficult series for Montreal. I don't think we stand much of a chance.

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think Toronto will actually be really hungry. This is potential THE year for them. And they've likely been steeled from past disappointments. This is going to be a difficult series for Montreal. I don't think we stand much of a chance.

They don't have to face Boston or Tampa in the 1st or 2nd round  so yea this is their chance . BUT I saw the Tampa / Florida game last night I don't  think any North Division team has a chance , they were flying 

13 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I do think we have a chance but a lot of it is going to have to do with what system we play.  

When we started the year the word was that that was DD's system we were playing out of the gate. Swarming, lots of odd man rushes etc.  But then Julien didnt like it & once we got practice time he changed things & then we started sputtering.   MB foolishly waited too long & when he fired Julien, DD basically never got time to run full practices because of the covid delay & subsequent tightened schedule.

Now he (DD) has had a week or so to run full practices & implement his system & plan.   You may think "well thats not such a big deal, these are pro athletes"  and I agree that the Matthews' the Marners - even the Toffolis and Suzukis of the world probably dont need a system to play effectively but our bottom 6 should benefit greatly.  

Game 1 will be very telling. What team comes out? How do we start? Because if we can get back to that rolling dervish we started the year with, I think our chances are a lot better.   We were scoring a TON off the rush to start the year & while Toronto's defense is much better than it has been the last few years its still not ideal.  Guys like Rielly, Muzzin and Hol all have huge issues with odd man rushes and these are the guys who will be playing most of the game. If we can exploit that, we have a chance. 

1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

Guy Lafleur is picking Montreal for the upset. Who am I to disagree with the Flower. 

Lafleur picking the Habs is no shock but the I recall not too long ago he said that a certain Canadiens goalie (Roy) had not done anything significant for the Habs and Montreal should trade him before he ends up washed up. That just goes to show how little we should value Lafleur's opinions, Roy went on to win 2 more cups and Montreal has not done a thing since. Lafleur was a great player in his day but as far as an analyst goes he should refrain from voicing his opinions cause they never work out.

14 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Lafleur picking the Habs is no shock but the I recall not too long ago he said that a certain Canadiens goalie (Roy) had not done anything significant for the Habs and Montreal should trade him before he ends up washed up. That just goes to show how little we should value Lafleur's opinions, Roy went on to win 2 more cups and Montreal has not done a thing since. Lafleur was a great player in his day but as far as an analyst goes he should refrain from voicing his opinions cause they never work out.

Confusing since you also predicted the same outcome. 

10 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Confusing since you also predicted the same outcome. 

I know I picked the Habs but my choice wasn't based on what Lafleur had to say which you seemed to have indicated was the reason you were going with the Habs. All I was saying is you shouldn't base your own opinions off of Lafleurs lol. I didn't mean to strike a nerve though.

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Guy Lafleur is picking Montreal for the upset. Who am I to disagree with the Flower. 

Never bet against the flower!   :rolleyes:

Seriously though, he's obviously "got" to say that but i actually agree with him.  I still dont think its a certainty we'll win, its probably 50/50 but i think we have the horses to win this race.

Toronto is not as good as they looked in this weak division and we are not as bad as we looked imho.  Its going to be a lot closer and if we can contain their elite players we have a very good chance of beating them everywhere else. 

54 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I know I picked the Habs but my choice wasn't based on what Lafleur had to say which you seemed to have indicated was the reason you were going with the Habs. All I was saying is you shouldn't base your own opinions off of Lafleurs lol. I didn't mean to strike a nerve though.

No nerve, just a big fan of the flower. Might get that signed jersey out if they start off well. No matter what the odds, I am not capable of picking my Habs to lose. I have had them winning the cup every year. One year I will get it right. 

15 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

No matter what the odds, I am not capable of picking my Habs to lose. I have had them winning the cup every year. One year I will get it right. 

This.  

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

wtf you guys talking about!? 

Price and Gally are playing for Laval tonight. 

• H_T_L locked this topic