Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I hope he scores three.

Yeah... it makes absolutely no sense. Staal and Merrill should NOT be in this lineup. Caulfield has definitely earned himself this game. Romanov, without question, should be playing every game for Montreal, regular season or playoffs. 

Instead of Galchenyuk..... I hope Staal scores three..... however, I respect your right to cheer for Maple Leaf players:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is just game number one and those three may all end up playing in games later on. Do not think any of them have played well enough to deserve the start. If the coach believes the veterans are his best bet to have a chance to win, well like I said it is only game one. Hopefully the vets step up and prove him right. If not we will see the three youngsters screwing up in game 3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Just a novel thought here ....what if the team Montreal ices in the 1st game beats the Leafs ?....

If JK and CC don't play it obviously would be a Maple Leaf conspiracy to keep DD and MB in Montreal.:ph34r: I don't think it would count as an official win on this forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

It is just game number one and those three may all end up playing in games later on. Do not think any of them have played well enough to deserve the start. If the coach believes the veterans are his best bet to have a chance to win, well like I said it is only game one. Hopefully the vets step up and prove him right. If not we will see the three youngsters screwing up in game 3. 

^^^  I agree with this pragmatic post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Just a novel thought here ....what if the team Montreal ices in the 1st game beats the Leafs ?....

no changes.


I think there's a legit chance we do - we're going to come out & play a boring, "try not to lose" style - so a lucky bounce here and there and a good performance from price - we actually could win. of course the problem is that this will give the coaching staff the confidence to come back with the same lineup which, long-term, i cant see working for us...  but as others have said, its one game, im not too stressed, but a little disappointed. 

But hey, weird things happen. Maybe Staal has been conserving his energy & will start playing like the guy who used to regularly score 30+G a season.  Maybe Merrill will suddenly remember to play defense like his time in Vegas.  Maybe Weber will play like he did in the bubble last year.  Maybe I will find $1m when I go to my car later today! :4224:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

It is just game number one and those three may all end up playing in games later on. Do not think any of them have played well enough to deserve the start. If the coach believes the veterans are his best bet to have a chance to win, well like I said it is only game one. Hopefully the vets step up and prove him right. If not we will see the three youngsters screwing up in game 3. 

Seriously???  How can you possibly think Staal has earned the right to be in the line up?  He has been our worst forward hands down, slow, out of position.  When he does manage to get in a scoring position he has totally lost his shot.

 

Further more what does this tell the players that are sitting out that have played all season for MTL to be replaced by a wash up? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DD said all 4 coaches and Bergevin sat down to discuss player deployment and that each independently came up with the same group of 12 forwards and 6 D men to start Game 1. And that just goes to show you it's group think and that Bergevin is only putting in place people who bow down to his type of line-up. He loves veterans and he loves slow, gritty, physical players. And no matter what else they tell you, actions speak louder than words. There was no change in mentality with DD replacing CJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

DD said all 4 coaches and Bergevin sat down to discuss player deployment and that each independently came up with the same group of 12 forwards and 6 D men to start Game 1. And that just goes to show you it's group think and that Bergevin is only putting in place people who bow down to his type of line-up. He loves veterans and he loves slow, gritty, physical players. And no matter what else they tell you, actions speak louder than words. There was no change in mentality with DD replacing CJ.

Considering it was Claude that gave JK and Suzuki the prominent roles in the bubble it makes you wonder if he was the guy who was actually going against the grain (or Muller) and not DD.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jared Book is one of my favourite Habs writers & his article here is a good read.


Its one of the only pieces that offers a theory of why DD is making these moves and I can at least buy into/understand it, even if its not what i would have done:

 

The reason for putting them in the lineup is that they will be able to lift their game in the post-season. There is the very real possibility that they will not be able to, and the slow finish to their season was indicative of that. If that’s the case, there’s a simple solution: Kotkaniemi and Caufield.

It’s easier for Ducharme to test the veterans and see if they are up to the pace of playoff hockey after a week off and practices than to have them as the backup option. You acquired these players for the playoffs, give them an early chance to see if they are up for it.
 

The whole article is a good read. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

no changes.


I think there's a legit chance we do - we're going to come out & play a boring, "try not to lose" style - so a lucky bounce here and there and a good performance from price - we actually could win. of course the problem is that this will give the coaching staff the confidence to come back with the same lineup which, long-term, i cant see working for us...  but as others have said, its one game, im not too stressed, but a little disappointed. 

But hey, weird things happen. Maybe Staal has been conserving his energy & will start playing like the guy who used to regularly score 30+G a season.  Maybe Merrill will suddenly remember to play defense like his time in Vegas.  Maybe Weber will play like he did in the bubble last year.  Maybe I will find $1m when I go to my car later today! :4224:

I'd take  3 out of 4 and the Habs winning might make you feel like a cool million.:6396:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Watched the Boston Washington game last night and even the intermission commentators were making fun of the habs for benching the kids for the "savy" vetrans

There are probably a lot of hockey analyst's, coaches and GM's  who would try to disect this, but i honestly cannot imagine very many who would do what DD and the habs are doing right now..

You have a 20 year old center who was one of your best players in the playoffs last season.  You have a 20 year old pure goal scorer, who has torn apart every league he has had the chance to play in this season, comes to the NHL scores two huge goals in overtime in the last ten to help your team get into the playoffs, you have your best young deeman since Subban...

My Theory is that anyone born before the year 2000 can play,  anyone 2000 or later gets to watch with the bag on popcorn and some yummy treats. 

Thats the  only reason I think Nick Suzuki is in, surely Frolik would be a better option!

:wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Watched the Boston Washington game last night and even the intermission commentators were making fun of the habs for benching the kids for the "savy" vetrans

 

49 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

There are probably a lot of hockey analyst's, coaches and GM's  who would try to disect this, but i honestly cannot imagine very many who would do what DD and the habs are doing right now..

You have a 20 year old center who was one of your best players in the playoffs last season.  You have a 20 year old pure goal scorer, who has torn apart every league he has had the chance to play in this season, comes to the NHL scores two huge goals in overtime in the last ten to help your team get into the playoffs, you have your best young deeman since Subban...

My Theory is that anyone born before the year 2000 can play,  anyone 2000 or later gets to watch with the bag on popcorn and some yummy treats. 

Thats the  only reason I think Nick Suzuki is in, surely Frolik would be a better option!

:wacko:

I wouldn't blame anybody for laughing at us over these decisions.Totally mind boggling. If Staal scores a hat trick (as if) tonight it would still leave me shaking my head. Merrill over Romanov?????? Ludicrous.

The only justifiable call is CC,,, and that's a borderline decision at best. I can't imagine too many clubs that would sit a kid like that when scoring is an issue. 

All i can say is that if we get our butts handed to us tonight it's going to get ugly in the Montreal media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

 

I wouldn't blame anybody for laughing at us over these decisions.Totally mind boggling. If Staal scores a hat trick (as if) tonight it would still leave me shaking my head. Merrill over Romanov?????? Ludicrous.

The only justifiable call is CC,,, and that's a borderline decision at best. I can't imagine too many clubs that would sit a kid like that when scoring is an issue. 

All i can say is that if we get our butts handed to us tonight it's going to get ugly in the Montreal media.

I think sitting CC is a worse call than JK. The kid is hot and scoring has speed creates things and looked good down the stretch. I like JK and would play him over Stahl but he didn't end the  season  strong and wasn't forcing their hand to play him. What have we needed scoring and CC was scoring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I think sitting CC is a worse call than JK. The kid is hot and scoring has speed creates things and looked good down the stretch. I like JK and would play him over Stahl but he didn't end the  season  strong and wasn't forcing their hand to play him. What have we needed scoring and CC was scoring.

I have to agree here, CC is capable of scoring on any shift and on the PP in the playoffs a PP goal is often the game winner as teams play as tight as they can so 5 on 5 it is really tough to score. CC is young and he just got here but he is also fast and sneaky with a wicked shot I just don't get it? as for Merrill over Romanov..... I am totally blown away by this decision Romanov has shown he will rise to the task at hand and the playoffs are where I think he will shine, imagine him with a big open ice hit on Matthews! at least he can keep up with him!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I think sitting CC is a worse call than JK. The kid is hot and scoring has speed creates things and looked good down the stretch. I like JK and would play him over Stahl but he didn't end the  season  strong and wasn't forcing their hand to play him. What have we needed scoring and CC was scoring.

Yeah,,,, i didn't say i agreed with it. It's justifiable only because of his NHL experience and the probable lack of powerplays we'll see in the playoffs where he would be a welcome weapon to have. The guy he would replace would be one of Byron Lehky or Perry in all likelyhood, barring an injury from someone else. That would be a tough call based on how well they've played. I'd sure make room for him and i imagine a good number of teams would do likewise. Probably 80% of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I have to agree here, CC is capable of scoring on any shift and on the PP in the playoffs a PP goal is often the game winner as teams play as tight as they can so 5 on 5 it is really tough to score. CC is young and he just got here but he is also fast and sneaky with a wicked shot I just don't get it? as for Merrill over Romanov..... I am totally blown away by this decision Romanov has shown he will rise to the task at hand and the playoffs are where I think he will shine, imagine him with a big open ice hit on Matthews! at least he can keep up with him!

That Romanov decision is the worst roster call this year by far. Merrill does not belong on this roster. I'd play Ouellet over him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

It's all part of the plan - GIVE the first game to the LAFFS, lull them into a false sense of hope and then blast them with the kids!

You think MB is that smart?? We get blown out he'll send the word down to dress Gustafson as the 12th forward in game 2. What's his old saying,,,, you can't have enough D??:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

You think MB is that smart?? We get blown out he'll send the word down to dress Gustafson as the 12th forward in game 2. What's his old saying,,,, you can't have enough D??:rolleyes:

If we get blown out in game 1, watch for DD to move Byron to 4C and swap Frolik for Suzuki cause you know vets play better than the kids!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Watched the Boston Washington game last night and even the intermission commentators were making fun of the habs for benching the kids for the "savy" vetrans

With all due respect to guys like Mike Johnson whom i really like, if those guys were better at their jobs they'd be coaches. There's a reason they are colour commentators.

Im not saying Id make the same choices but I also think we need to give DD a chance to make (and possibly crap) his bed.   It seems like a couple of bad moves but maybe they know something we dont. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...