The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

22 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Well this got delivered to the wrong house 🙅‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

8A3CE5F8-4C64-4264-8C86-9C15CE8C25ED.jpeg

I‘d consider a lawsuit 🤣

4 hours ago, claremont said:

It's all part of the plan - GIVE the first game to the LAFFS, lull them into a false sense of hope and then blast them with the kids!

Yeeeaaaaaahhhhh. :lol:

Or maybe it'll be give the first three games to the Leafs, and then... wait... nah, then we just get swept.

So,,,,, by my count Staal played about 2 decent shifts then pretty much disappeared . Sure would have been nice to see a sniper on those PP's rather then him. Just saying.:rolleyes:

Just now, H_T_L said:

So,,,,, by my count Staal played about 2 decent shifts then pretty much disappeared . Sure would have been nice to see a sniper on those PP's rather then him. Just saying.:rolleyes:

This

First blood though so nothings going to change.

Not surprised the Habs won. As I said, I thought they would win a game in the first two, because coming out of a rest with a healthy roster, they can compete. The question was always going to be whether they could overplay veterans and have them hold up... Price, Weber, Petry, Staal, Perry, etc.

The Evans line was once again our best line until he got hurt. The Suzuki and Staal lines struggled outside of Anderson, and our PP was abysmal. The team desperately needs to get JK and Caufield back in and they need to remove Merrill, who was our worst defenceman yet again tonight.

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not surprised the Habs won. As I said, I thought they would win a game in the first two, because coming out of a rest with a healthy roster, they can compete. The question was always going to be whether they could overplay veterans and have them hold up... Price, Weber, Petry, Staal, Perry, etc.

The Evans line was once again our best line until he got hurt. The Suzuki and Staal lines struggled outside of Anderson, and our PP was abysmal. The team desperately needs to get JK and Caufield back in and they need to remove Merrill, who was our worst defenceman yet again tonight.

Pretty much my feelings about the roster moves. Unfortunately it looks like KK might pencil in at Evans expense if he can't go,,, which means Staal gets game 2

Teams that win Game 1 are 490-222 (68.8 percent) winning a best-of-7 NHL playoff series, including 7-1 in the first round last season. 

Just sayin. 

41 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree on all counts.  The Evans line is a revelation. Love their tenacity & its going to make the leafs rethink the matchups. 

I wonder if Romanov draws back in next to Weber next game. Its obvious they are trying to shelter Weber (Still injured i would assume) so i think they felt Merrill would be the safe player next to him but I think Weber-Romanov as your bottom pair would be pretty darned good no matter how injured he may be.

I actually thought Staal played his best game as a Hab - Anderson had several quality chances because of nice plays by him although I dont think its something i want to see over and over. Id really much prefer JK draws in next game (but not at the expense of Evans, whom I hope is ok). 

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree on all counts.  The Evans line is a revelation. Love their tenacity & its going to make the leafs rethink the matchups. 

I wonder if Romanov draws back in next to Weber next game. Its obvious they are trying to shelter Weber (Still injured i would assume) so i think they felt Merrill would be the safe player next to him but I think Weber-Romanov as your bottom pair would be pretty darned good no matter how injured he may be.

I actually thought Staal played his best game as a Hab - Anderson had several quality chances because of nice plays by him although I dont think its something i want to see over and over. Id really much prefer JK draws in next game (but not at the expense of Evans, whom I hope is ok). 

The thing about the Evans line is that they're all decent bottom 6 players but they need to be used in a way that maximizes their strengths. Those are three guys who skate well and play smart hockey and their forecheck is maybe top 10% in the league. So they really come at a defence and put pressure on them. When that defence is your 3rd pairing or the other team's bottom trios, they will be challenged to play with speed. This is exactly the type of 4th line a team needs. Speed, smarts, a bit of skill, and solid defensively. So the sum of the parts on that Evans line ends up being more than each individual guy because they just work well together, just like the Danault line. If Byron or Lehkonen gets put with Staal and Perry, then that one guy can put some pressure on the D and they can just work around him and take advantage of the lack of speed elsewhere.

As for Staal, sure I'd agree that was his best game in a long time. But he still struggled at times keeping up and if that's the best he can do playing fresh off a week's rest, it's likely only going downhill from there. His best game otherwise was his first game as a Hab, also off a long rest. A guy who needs 7 days off between games isn't getting you anywhere and frankly, he still stunk when he was on the PP. I just don't know what role he fills. Conversely, you stick a Kotkaniemi in that spot and he's a better skater, he's more creative offensively, he's better on the PP, and his defence is on part with Staal's.

• H_T_L locked this topic