The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021 NHL Draft

I'd be interested in making a UFA offer to Dougie Hamilton.  That would give us a right side of Weber, Petry, Hamilton and left side of Chiarot, Edmundson and Romanov.  Pretty strong D.  He would probably be in the $6-7m range, so it will be tricky for the cap.  Tatar is coming off the books at 5.3m, so that helps.  As Weber and then Petry eventually age out, that still gives us a strong offensive presence on the right side.  As for drafting, I think I'd still like to concentrate on forwards.  We have Fleury, Brook, and Guhle in the ranks.  Hopefully at least one makes the team in the future.  Guhle looks pretty decent so far.  Picking 30th won't produce a star, but perhaps there is an opportunity to move up.

Is this the year of drafting a mix of French cdn players and a few Russian or euros? Not politically fan based but based on games played, there is some QJMHL talent more so this year as the ohl payed few games and imo the ushl is not the same league 

I expect at 30 centers Bourgault or L’Heureux will be available. In the 2nd -4th rounds Riley kidney, Joshua Roy, Cole Huckins look promising as does Matvei Petrov from Russia 

40 minutes ago, claremont said:

Is this the year of drafting a mix of French cdn players and a few Russian or euros? Not politically fan based but based on games played, there is some QJMHL talent more so this year as the ohl payed few games and imo the ushl is not the same league 

I expect at 30 centers Bourgault or L’Heureux will be available. In the 2nd -4th rounds Riley kidney, Joshua Roy, Cole Huckins look promising as does Matvei Petrov from Russia 

I actually wouldnt be surprised at all to see MB trade away some of our picks as part of deals for players and/or package them to upgrade next year.

I assume Timmins & co will have some 'off the board' picks they will want to use, but I wouldnt be surprised at all to see us get rid of several of our picks this year tbh. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I actually wouldnt be surprised at all to see MB trade away some of our picks as part of deals for players and/or package them to upgrade next year.

I assume Timmins & co will have some 'off the board' picks they will want to use, but I wouldnt be surprised at all to see us get rid of several of our picks this year tbh. 

...I expect the same ....at least I'm hoping ....don't even care about a 1st rounder that much if it's 30th

3 hours ago, arpem-can said:

...I expect the same ....at least I'm hoping ....don't even care about a 1st rounder that much if it's 30th

I am a little of the opposite mind - I would love to see MB make a splash - either move up for someone more significant or load up on 2nd rounders maybe even 3rds - once it gets to 4th round I lose interest based on probabilities. I want to see a better pipeline especially at centre and LW, perhaps RD offensive puck mover in that order. Last year's lack of games was tough to get excited about prospect development - I want to see more of Luke Tuch (LW), Jack Smith, Sean Farrell (I think he's too small), before I conclude 2020 will only produce Kaiden Guhle. 

At least our 2021 first rounder will be better then the Laffs' first round pick

• 2 weeks later...

Now we turn our attention to the entry draft as building a team thru free agency is awkward at best. Even though we have pick 30 and pick multiple picks near the bottom of rounds 2-4, there are still some reasonable players. 
Need continues to be scoring at centre, LW and RD and I’ve stated previously in this draft there isn’t much scouting to distinguish BAP vs need. 
I’m hoping Bourgault, Pinelli, Pastujov or L’Heuereux are available- Nothing against Caufield or Sean Farrell, but I hope we can get some size too. 

Shot in the dark draft for the most part where we are picking. I'm getting the feeling we'll be focusing on restocking the French content in the organization rather then BPA,,, seeing as it's such a crapshoot this year.. Who's really to say if a guy is as highly rated as his paper assessment? After the obvious are chosen we may as well flip a coin.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Shot in the dark draft for the most part where we are picking. I'm getting the feeling we'll be focusing on restocking the French content in the organization rather then BPA,,, seeing as it's such a crapshoot this year.. Who's really to say if a guy is as highly rated as his paper assessment? After the obvious are chosen we may as well flip a coin.

Timmins, in his presser (just now), said something about a player in the Q, and how some players slip thru the cracks. BTW, we have 11 picks this year. 

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Timmins, in his presser (just now), said something about a player in the Q, and how some players slip thru the cracks. BTW, we have 11 picks this year. 

I have a feeling we're going to move some of them but we shall see....

The consensus opinion is that this is one of the weaker drafts in recent years, with stronger ones on the horizon, and the Habs would be making the penultimate pick in most of the rounds. With the event scheduled to be held in person next summer in Montreal, Marc Bergevin is probably hoping to flip several of these picks to acquire selection spots for 2022, though the team is sure to still add a handful of prospects to the system as well.

Our picks are:

1st RD. 1 (30)

2nd Rd 2, 2 picks (63, 64)

3rd Rd. 2 picks, (76, 87)

4th Rd. 3,picks (113, 126, 127)

5th Rd. 1 pick, (142)

6th Rd. 1, pick (191)

7th Rd. 1,pick (223)

20 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

The consensus opinion is that this is one of the weaker drafts in recent years, with stronger ones on the horizon, and the Habs would be making the penultimate pick in most of the rounds. With the event scheduled to be held in person next summer in Montreal, Marc Bergevin is probably hoping to flip several of these picks to acquire selection spots for 2022, though the team is sure to still add a handful of prospects to the system as well.

Our picks are:

1st RD. 1 (30)

2nd Rd 2, 2 picks (63, 64)

3rd Rd. 2 picks, (76, 87)

4th Rd. 3,picks (113, 126, 127)

5th Rd. 1 pick, (142)

6th Rd. 1, pick (191)

7th Rd. 1,pick (223)

I lose interest after the 4th round - there is a big probability drop off of making it to the nhl rosters  - 1st round 74%, 2nd round 34%, 3rd round - 27%, and 4th - 22% then it falls into 15%, according to another site I follow. After 4th round - I tend to see much smaller players without much of a ceiling. I am actually hoping the habs trade up on a few spots if they have seen some QMJHL games, and trust their scouting reports. The overrated USHL program, the Q and Europe prospects have the advantage having played more games. The OHL and WHL prospects are disadvantaged having lost their development seasons.  

19 minutes ago, habsisme said:

ah I thought we were going to get Zachary L'Heureux but Nashville trade up to get him

Wow - Logan Mailloux - extremely surprising off the board pick - RHD strong talent in the ice - character suspect 

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

Wow - Logan Mailloux - extremely surprising off the board pick - RHD strong talent in the ice - character suspect 

we critique a lot of what Bergevin does, but you can't deny the balls on this guy 

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

we critique a lot of what Bergevin does, but you can't deny the balls on this guy 

Agree 100 % - Omg is MB ever gutsy on taking this risk of on ice talent and having to back up and defend this kids character / forgive his youthful mistake or transgression. MB is going to take a lot of heat in the press. No question we need stronger RHD - I said it before that this draft is tight on BAP - I think our need trumped it even though there are some good centers or LW still available. 
Logan should be loyal to the club for years to come and dig himself out of this rat hole 

49 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Hmmmm this is going to be interesting!

The hate is already starting on a lot of the twitter forums. Totally out of character for bergebin.  He's got rid of players for less.  DeAngelo next?

I understand that what the kid did is really wrong but so many people are reacting as if it was the sex act itself that was non consensual.  Everything these days seems to be taken to one extreme or another with no rational middle ground.  One person even tweeted that "this is the proof that cancel culture doesn't exist"...  people are crazy.  Gutsy move but may pan out and it sounds like he still may have went in second round to someone else.

56 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

Even without the criminal stuff was Logan even ranked to be taken in the 1st round?

Yes actually he was ranked late in the first round before the criminal elements came into play, if I recall correctly. BTW not defending his actions but isn't what he did exactly what got the Kardashians famous? Why is it that society embraces the Kardashians yet scores down on this kid? The kid WAS going to be drafted and some teams were looking at drafting him tomorrow in the second round so MB snagged him first big deal IMO.

Sorry but I am on team fire MB for that one. We live in the 21st century and if you dont understand that you cant treat woman like this you havent understand anything. That people actually dont find this disturbing is mindboggling to me. That doesnt even take into account that MB comes from Chicago where you have similar stuff from the past in the news right now.

25 minutes ago, Shutoutfan said:

Sorry but I am on team fire MB for that one. We live in the 21st century and if you dont understand that you cant treat woman like this you havent understand anything. That people actually dont find this disturbing is mindboggling to me. That doesnt even take into account that MB comes from Chicago where you have similar stuff from the past in the news right now.

So then Austin Matthews shod be ran out of the league while we are at it, cause you know he wasn't trying to get in that female security guards LOCKED car to ask for the time of day. How about we remove some of the HOF players from the Hall due to their transgressions ( manyhttps://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nhl/2013/11/22/nhl-players-and-law ) many of which are worse than what this kid did. Society are such hypocrites how many people watch the Kardashians? They became famous because they leaked a sex tape. The only difference between them and this kid is that in Sweden it is a violation of privacy to release the tape without the woman's permission. That is all he was charged with is violation of privacy and deflation. You can get those same charges for recording a private conversation without someone's consent. Seriously this whole run the kid out of the NHL forever thing is ridiculous. If Austin Matthews can run all over Scottsdale exposing himself and trying to break into a woman's car in the process or the Kardashians can become famous for their release of a sex tape then leave this kid alone for a simple violation of privacy.

I got taught I shouldnt compare myself to others. I have to be better. Just because others do bad stuff doesnt mean I get a free pass. I dont have a problem with people who did bad stuff lose their credentials. And I dont watch the Kardashians. Whataboutism sucks. This kid as you call it wants to earn millions. So he should behave himself. The world is already a terrible place for many people it doesnt need others to relativize bad behaviour.

Ballsy? Yes, certainly. The right move? Definitely not.

I understand that other teams teams were willing to pick him as well, but I'm really not fond of the message we're sending here.

On the other hand, we're talking about an adolescent who made a terrible mistake. He's not the first one and won't be the last. Legally, if I understood everything correctly, the thing is settled and done with. If he's truly remorseful about what happened, and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here unless there's clear evidence to the contrary, there's something to be said about 2nd chances as well. It's highly controversial for sure, I'm not sure we need the drama.

• H_T_L locked this topic