The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021 NHL Draft

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yes actually he was ranked late in the first round before the criminal elements came into play, if I recall correctly. BTW not defending his actions but isn't what he did exactly what got the Kardashians famous? Why is it that society embraces the Kardashians yet scores down on this kid? The kid WAS going to be drafted and some teams were looking at drafting him tomorrow in the second round so MB snagged him first big deal IMO.

You’re comparing what the kid did to the kardashians 🤦‍♂️. The kid was fined. He hasn’t even apologized to the victim . Some teams said that they would not draft him . The kid asked all teams not to draft him .  MB goes ahead and drafts him what a fool . And MB talks about character 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Then goes ahead and drafts him 

The Habs should renounce the draft pick .  A completely stupid decision . If you have to put out a statement defending your decision then something is wrong . Bad move by the Habs . 

45 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Ballsy? Yes, certainly. The right move? Definitely not.

I understand that other teams teams were willing to pick him as well, but I'm really not fond of the message we're sending here.

On the other hand, we're talking about an adolescent who made a terrible mistake. He's not the first one and won't be the last. Legally, if I understood everything correctly, the thing is settled and done with. If he's truly remorseful about what happened, and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here unless there's clear evidence to the contrary, there's something to be said about 2nd chances as well. It's highly controversial for sure, I'm not sure we need the drama.

Definitely polarizing and congrats for seeing both sides of the equation without being so hard line judgmental. I certainly don’t condone his actions nor should forgiveness be granted so easily just because he could be a talented hockey  player. MB will put the full weight of the organization behind rehabbing this kids behavior

By some of these toss the stones standards, I guess Dany Heatly should have been run out of the league and denied a chance to earn a living or atone for himself. 
This will be a stain on the kid and our organization for a while - I certainly hope that we as a group can overcome it with proper actions. 

35 minutes ago, claremont said:

. MB will put the full weight of the organization behind rehabbing this kids behavior

By some of these toss the stones standards, I guess Dany Heatly should have been run out of the league and denied a chance to earn a living or atone for himself. 
This will be a stain on the kid and our organization for a while - I certainly hope that we as a group can overcome it with proper actions. 

This is the same MB who traded  Zac Kassian after he relapsed . Same MB who knows nothing about the sexual assault allegations in Chicago when it sounds like all the players were fully aware of what happened . 

just a dumb decision to draft this kid by the Habs 

Was it a smart move by an organization that supposedly prides itself on it's players being the best on and off the ice??? Not by a long shot. Does the kid deserve a chance to atone for it all? Everybody deserves that chance,,,, i just wish it was somebody else giving him the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

This is the same MB who traded  Zac Kassian after he relapsed . Same MB who knows nothing about the sexual assault allegations in Chicago when it sounds like all the players were fully aware of what happened . 

just a dumb decision to draft this kid by the Habs 

bergebin is a hypocrite.  He should have respected the kid's decision.  Let the kid have a chance to get his life together.  The Habs were always about appearances,  and now bergebin has put a major major stain on the organization.  I don't see how he doesn't get fired!  Don't get me wrong,  I believe in second chances, and the kid was a minor, and technically,  his identity should have not been revealed,  but I  think it's too soon for this situation. The backlash has been HUGE!

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The Habs should renounce the draft pick .  A completely stupid decision . If you have to put out a statement defending your decision then something is wrong . Bad move by the Habs . 

And 10-12 Teams already said they wouldn't draft him under any conditions.  That's why the kid renounced his draft status. And an organization that prides itself for integrity,  almost to an unforgiving fault, goes off the board?  bergebin brought this on the Habs, and, ultimately,  Molsons.  Beer sales are going to tank!  Even after bergebin gets fired.

A baffling pick, and the wrong one. Forget how much talent the guy does or does not have, this is just the wrong message to send to society and to the rest of your organization. For a guy who ran Subban out of town for being too loud, Beaulieu out for getting in a bar fight, Kristo out for taking part in a university hazing, Tinordi out for a positive drug test, Galchenyuk out for a rumored history of partying and possibly cocaine, Kassian for being in a car accident, a group of Russian players because he apparently wasn't keen on that clique in the dressing room, Bergevin sure is willing to overlook things when it's convenient for him. he was okay with taking Drouin with his childish behavior in Tampa because it satisfied his need for a French-Canadian star. He was okay with trying to acquire Slava Voynov and he reportedly inquired several times about Tony Deangelo. And now this. You can't have it both ways, Marc. You can't stand on a moral high ground to justify certain decisions and then look the other way on crimes that are even more heinous just because it fits with what you want to see on the ice. Sure, this guy fits an organizational need for a RHD prospect. Sure, he might end up being decent as a talent. But hard to believe they didn't have another name who was close enough to make it worth making this dumb decision.

Yeah it looks bad not a pick I would have made. I guess it comes down to what the kid does moving forward, there is no way to change what he did only what he does about it as time goes on. there are a lot of layers to this, There was the sex then there was photos that he showed to teammates one she agreed to the other she did not know about, the fact that he was a minor is there but lets face it 17 is pretty close to an adult! he should have known better! if moving forward he really does what it takes to atone for what he did which can be many things really such as a real apology to the girl perhaps some therapy to understand why he did what he did and being someone who is out there making other young folks understand that this was wrong then he should be allowed the chance to have a life here. He did what he did it was stupid and thoughtless if he can somehow make up for it then it can be a lesson moving forward, all the anger and fury is going to solve nothing it won't help the victim or the player. 

Molson,  is going to have to step in, and do some damage control.  I don't see how bergebin does NOT get fired! Tell me this isn't happening.  I can't even go online,  without seeing the hate directed at the Habs. And you know, as Hab fans, we'll endure critical comments.  Gonna be a sad summer.  And we waited 3-1/2 hours for this? I don't even want to watch the rest of the draft.  ☹

17 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah it looks bad not a pick I would have made. I guess it comes down to what the kid does moving forward, there is no way to change what he did only what he does about it as time goes on. there are a lot of layers to this, There was the sex then there was photos that he showed to teammates one she agreed to the other she did not know about, the fact that he was a minor is there but lets face it 17 is pretty close to an adult! he should have known better! if moving forward he really does what it takes to atone for what he did which can be many things really such as a real apology to the girl perhaps some therapy to understand why he did what he did and being someone who is out there making other young folks understand that this was wrong then he should be allowed the chance to have a life here. He did what he did it was stupid and thoughtless if he can somehow make up for it then it can be a lesson moving forward, all the anger and fury is going to solve nothing it won't help the victim or the player. 

The thing is, the kid needed time OUT of the spotlight.  Now it's magnified,  and bergebin dragged the iconic Hab organization in to this as well. Now, it will always be front page news.

9 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Personally, I don’t really care about the drama, I’m far more disappointed with the fact that we could have picked either Pinelli or Stankoven. Maybe Maileaux is still available at the end of round 2, maybe not. But passing over those two players makes me sad

For sure.  Or even Aatu Raty, who was projected at first overall,  at one time. 

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

The thing is, the kid needed time OUT of the spotlight.  Now it's magnified,  and bergebin dragged the iconic Hab organization in to this as well. Now, it will always be front page news.

Meh that is B.S to me, what happened happened deal with it and move on  now is the pick a bad one sure! but this kid is far from the only person in the sport who has done something stupid or criminal! hello Matthews! Heatley, Kane and many many others! as for the hockey side I looked him up he is a very good prospect form an on ice perspective of course opinions may vary. at the end of the day all this B.S about the tarnishing the team is just that B.S it is all about what happens moving forward. Does the kid get sorted out and make up for what he did on a social level and by making some kind of amends to the victim or not. on a hockey level is he going to be good or a bust. All the rest is just chatter at least it is or me anyways.

Terrible pick.

According to Scott Matla, Mailloux never even bothered to apologize to the woman. Surely the team could've picked someone who has displayed better character as a young adult. I have wanted Bergevin gone for many, many years. Given the fact that I'm sure Molson probably signed off on this pick, I now have zero faith in the organization to not make stupid decisions. From top to bottom.

5 hours ago, claremont said:

Definitely polarizing and congrats for seeing both sides of the equation without being so hard line judgmental. I certainly don’t condone his actions nor should forgiveness be granted so easily just because he could be a talented hockey  player. MB will put the full weight of the organization behind rehabbing this kids behavior

Patrick Kane comes to mind as well  ... #1 he was going to get picked anyway , he apologized for his actions  , he took himself out of the draft to show he understood the gravity of this and is willing to atone , no one knows whether he reached out to the victim at this point and the probably a lot of teams would draft him beyond the 1st round which seems to be the big deal here ...maybe a year under scrutiny and help by the Habs would go further in reaching out and helping the victim as well who deserves compensation beyond a "fine" ...he 's young , he made a mistake and will always be under a microscope .Craig Button went up and down Bergevin on this pick but no one knows if he'll actually even play a game in the NHL or be accepted ..this has to play out one way or the other 

The kid says himself that he apologized to her and her family and is going through councilling and was convicted of his crime.  I think Marc has made worse moves than this.  Lots of people acting like this was sexual assault, calling it a sex crime.  There are degrees of wrong ya know!  From the habs side they should have waited till next round if they really wanted to get him.  

It would be interesting to know how many NHLers have gotten into trouble, and what was done about those players. I say give the kid a chance. Lots of peoople do dumb things when they're young and go on to live productive lives later on. 

In 48 games with the Junior B London Nationals in 2019-20, Mailloux had 18-51-69 totals and 94 penalty minutes. He was ranked 23rd among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

In the end, the Canadiens decided that Mailloux’s hockey talent was enough to pick him despite everything else.

• H_T_L locked this topic