The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who would you rather have right now: Julien or DD?

Who would you rather have right now: Julien or DD?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Right now, round one, who do you pick?

• Julien
    • Ducharme

3 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Scotty Bowman. 

Maybe Molson should instead offer a king's ransom to entice Lou Lamoriello out of NY to clean up this mess.  If he could weave a miracle in Toronto, surely he'd be able to orchestrate a proper rebuild back to glory? 

On 5/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Regis22 said:

Serge Savard, once the Canadiens GM, has been one of those who has warned Bergevin about the perils of not having Québécois players.

“I told (Bergevin) that people will let him win in English, but they won’t let him lose in English,” Savard said in a radio interview in March.

And it was S. Savard, who was on the committee that selected bergebin. It was also S. Savard, that drafted Doug Wickenheiser over Denis Savard. It was S. Savard, that traded Chris Chelios for Denis Savard.  It was S. Savard who traded away Claude Lemieux.  It was S. Savard, who traded John Leclair & Eric Desjardins to the Philadelphia Flyers. Yes, Serge Savard did so some good for the Habs, as he was the GM on record when they won their last 2 Stanley Cups, but he was instrumental in the decades long purgatory that the Habs are in now.  So, I guess what I'm saying is, that as great a player as he was, and as great a GM as he was in his early years, maybe his opinion is really no longer relevant. Molson should just get rid of bergebin NOW! and let the new GM start directing this team.  The only reason the Habs made the playoffs at all under the bergebin era, is because he inherited a team, that was more a playoff team then, than it is now.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, the right answer is neither. The Habs need to find a coach who's not afraid to make decisions that go against convention. Everything this team does is with the thought process that they don't want to do something that goes against the norm because they don't want to be criticized for it:

- We don't want to hire anyone other than a French coach or GM, even if we think someone else could be better, because if they fail, we'll be lambasted in the media.

- We don't want to bench our captain even if he's playing terribly because he's tough and gritty and he hates to lose and the Don Cherry's of the world with cry about it.

- We want to go down with the ship with veterans with experience rather than giving experience to youngsters because we can blame the vets if they lose.

- We have to keep giving PP time to guys who were good on the PP 5-10 years ago because they used to be able to do it and we can back up the argument for using them by their old stats.

- We can't have players who are vocal or celebrate on the ice or go against the line of being a dry, by-the-book guy because we don't want to project that image.

Seriously, the thought process every time seems to be what can I do that will get me questioned the least... there's no impetus to be better or novel or follow evidence for what works. We don't need more of the same. Julien didn't work here. Ducharme isn't working. Enough.

Neither is my answer as well. I think Gerard Gallant would have been a good choice.  But he's not french.  The reason Scotty Bowman didn't become GM of the Habs, is because he was not french.  He wanted the job.  Did absolutely everything to deserve the job, but in the end, did not get it, and left for St.  Louis.  Could you imagine?? I guess that Joel Bouchard could be in the mix, unless the Habs screw up again, and let him get away.  It still bothers me, that Julien Brisboise, a far better choice than bergebin, got away.  But, good for him!

4 hours ago, electron58 said:

And it was S. Savard, who was on the committee that selected bergebin. It was also S. Savard, that drafted Doug Wickenheiser over Denis Savard. It was S. Savard, that traded Chris Chelios for Denis Savard.  It was S. Savard who traded away Claude Lemieux.  It was S. Savard, who traded John Leclair & Eric Desjardins to the Philadelphia Flyers. Yes, Serge Savard did so some good for the Habs, as he was the GM on record when they won their last 2 Stanley Cups, but he was instrumental in the decades long purgatory that the Habs are in now.  So, I guess what I'm saying is, that as great a player as he was, and as great a GM as he was in his early years, maybe his opinion is really no longer relevant. Molson should just get rid of bergebin NOW! and let the new GM start directing this team.  The only reason the Habs made the playoffs at all under the bergebin era, is because he inherited a team, that was more a playoff team then, than it is now.

For the record I am pretty sure Savard was not the GM yet when we missed out on Denis Savard I think he was playing in Winnipeg and as too the other post I don't think Bowman lost out on the GM position due to language there was a lot of upheaval with the Habs at the time. I do agree with the rest though.

5 hours ago, electron58 said:

You recall that Serge savard was let in 1995 ( 21 yr ago ) and replaced with  4 GM's R Houle, Andre Savard, Bob Gainey, Pierre Gauthier then Bergevin . I belive it was Houle that was instrumental in the decades long purgatory that the Habs are in now

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

For the record I am pretty sure Savard was not the GM yet when we missed out on Denis Savard I think he was playing in Winnipeg and as too the other post I don't think Bowman lost out on the GM position due to language there was a lot of upheaval with the Habs at the time. I do agree with the rest though.

Irving Grungman was GM and Savard was captain. 

The only choice right now is any coach that is willing to let this team play pond hockey instead of trying to incorporate a bunch of systems that restricts the talent we have. I find that the successful teams in today's NHL are the teams with coaches that allow the players to play. It's fine to have some kind of structure but at the end of the day today's game is way too fast to start telling players when to go, how to defend etc. Everyone that plays hockey knows the basics, let them play. 

4 minutes ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

It's fine to have some kind of structure but at the end of the day today's game is way too fast to start telling players when to go, how to defend etc. Everyone that plays hockey knows the basics, let them play. 

This is an interesting thought process.   Ive seen lately a number of players (especially our defensmen) track a guy, shadow him and box him out - basically everything they are supposed to do - and then they stop and skate away from him (presumably to where they are "supposed to be") because they are now out of their zone position.  It leads to guys looking lost some of the time because i think the decision making becomes less fluid. 

1 hour ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

The only choice right now is any coach that is willing to let this team play pond hockey instead of trying to incorporate a bunch of systems that restricts the talent we have. I find that the successful teams in today's NHL are the teams with coaches that allow the players to play. It's fine to have some kind of structure but at the end of the day today's game is way too fast to start telling players when to go, how to defend etc. Everyone that plays hockey knows the basics, let them play. 

:6188:

9 hours ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

This is essentially what Michel Bergeron said (correctly) about the Habs handling of Kotkaniemi and other young players previously. He said the coaches act arrogant and think they know better and are continually trying to over-coach. With JK, he said they tell him one day to put on weight to be tougher then tell him he;s not as fast as he used to be, so lose weight. They tell him to focus on D then get upset that he's not scoring at will and press-box him. They tell him to shoot more then tell him to crash the net, then they want him to focus on faceoffs then play defence a certain way and so on. Bergeron said he would tell the coaches to stop talking to him and just let his talent and instinct take over.

• 1 month later...

Im digging this up because WOW did DD redeem himself.  

Im not sure if its that the team was "built for the playoffs" or that he was finally able to get some practice time with them at the end of the season (or a combination of both) but when we started this thread I dont think ANYBODY thought we'd be heading into game 2 of the stanley cup final. 

I take back everything i said about DD.  I dont think Julien would have gotten this far and while I think it did take time for the players to buy into/learn his system, I think DD has proven he deserves a chance without the "interim" moniker. 

On 5/28/2021 at 11:20 AM, GreekHockeyCoach said:

And that is why Edmonton and Colorado are now in the finals!

• H_T_L locked this topic