The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Winnipeg Series Thread

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

the hate Scheifele is going a bit overboard. He made a mistake, he's been suspended. Anyway its par for the course in our society, everyone needs to be canceled 

He's been held accountable by the league. Like it or hate it, that's how it goes in the NHL. I don't mind fans having at him in discussions here on the board or with friends, but I think it definitely crosses a line if his family is receiving messages. That is just despicable.

I’d have much more respect for Scheif if he owned his mistake and stop saying he was trying to play the puck. Obvious to everyone that he wasn’t. Man up, own it and admit the error in judgement and we can all move on

57 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

In all fairness, you can't do a full recap without showing the  MTnetter, which (like it or not) includes the hit. 

Except it was a short clip. They didnt show a couple of the Jets goals - so why the need for the MT netter? 

40 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

I’d have much more respect for Scheif if he owned his mistake and stop saying he was trying to play the puck. Obvious to everyone that he wasn’t. Man up, own it and admit the error in judgement and we can all move on

same here, for that reason i hope we give him some payback if there is a game 6 or 7 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Except it was a short clip. They didnt show a couple of the Jets goals - so why the need for the MT netter? 

I suppose you're right, it wasn't that crucial to the game highlights.

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Apparently Scheifele's family is receiving hate now. Which is pretty putrid, IMO. Might be time for both teams to make a statement on it. The suspension has been handed out, the playoffs will continue, both fanbases will disagree on the outcome, it's time to move on.

Agree. That is uncalled for. On the other hand, what about Evan's family? I'm sure it's not much fun seeing your son laying on the ice out cold because someone decided to be a jerk. 

Two game lead but the Jets are capable of stringing together some wins,,,,, ask the Oilers. Can't sit back and hope Price doesn't allow another goal. The quicker we take these guys down the bigger the rest we'll get and need.

57 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Agree. That is uncalled for. On the other hand, what about Evan's family? I'm sure it's not much fun seeing your son laying on the ice out cold because someone decided to be a jerk. 

True, but people hating on Scheifele's family and the Evans family feeling for their son are two separate things. Scheifele's family shouldn't receive hate from disgusting jerks and the Evans family shouldn't have to see their son knocked out cold on the ice.

Really loving Bergevin's long-term plan to trade Galchenyuk to Phoenix to have him then go to Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Ottawa, and Toronto, to give away the puck in OT in game five to motivate us to get playing in the post-season. Brilliant. Mastermind. Vision.

9 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Really loving Bergevin's long-term plan to trade Galchenyuk to Phoenix to have him then go to Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Ottawa, and Toronto, to give away the puck in OT in game five to motivate us to get playing in the post-season. Brilliant. Mastermind. Vision.

Still waiting to see how this folds in the John Scott trade, for which he wasn't allow to tell us his reasoning.

Motivational post from the Jets message board for tomorrow's game.

If the Jets were down 2-0 to the Avs then I would be worried but its the Habs and they play for a lucky bounce and have been getting them lately.
Jets have a great road record and Habs luck will run out ... they are not a good enough team to win 7 straight games in the playoffs

Thought i would post this in case PuckPundit doesn't get his in. :frech1:

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Motivational post from the Jets message board for tomorrow's game.

If the Jets were down 2-0 to the Avs then I would be worried but its the Habs and they play for a lucky bounce and have been getting them lately.
Jets have a great road record and Habs luck will run out ... they are not a good enough team to win 7 straight games in the playoffs

Thought i would post this in case PuckPundit doesn't get his in. :frech1:

Thankfully for us, we don't need to win 7 straight, we only need to win 2 of the next 5. I actually agree to some degree that the Habs are relying on goaltending more than anything to have put this 5-game win-streak together and that there is significant risk of our vets wearing down. That said, Winnipeg is down a couple of key players and hasn't really shown they're any stronger than us. Their D is worse than ours, their offence is better at the top end but less well-balanced, and goaltending is a bit of a toss-up. Could the Jets win the series still? Of course. 2-0 is not insurmountable. But our odds are far better than theirs right now and they have to solve Carey before we talk about anything else.

I think Ducharme is doing an excellent  job at putting our best players in a position to do what they do best and that includes Price. He has put some structure into the game at forward and defence by creating a big fourth line with skilled players that can score and putting a lot of pressure on the Winnipeg D with our Suzuki and KK lines. Further I love the way he has broken with playing our bottom D pairing together and shifted to rotating them with a top 4 partner so we aren't getting caught with a weak pairing on the ice. Too many coaches today fall into a pattern of rolling their D. I said a while ago the Habs wculd use 3,4, or 5 D rotation in certain parts of the game and that is what a coach needs to do. Kulak and Gustafsson are still getting their icetime and providing a little added respite to our big 4 but they are at a much lower risk when out there.

Ducharme has some interesting opportunities with last change now and I expect Winnipeg to have a much harder time finding room out there. My only concern is we did start to look a little tired towards the end of the last game. Sunday night needs to be better and by that I mean we need to contiue to make life easier for Carey and make sure we are more physical in front of the net.  I was a little worried when with 3 seconds left we let a player break in for a good clean shot. The forwards (specificly Toffoli) were too far up ice and not getting back at a very crucial time. The back checking wasn't what it needed to be in the third and we need to skate better  and get on the forecheck in the third tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I think Ducharme is doing an excellent  job at putting our best players in a position to do what they do best and that includes Price. He has put some structure into the game at forward and defence by creating a big fourth line with skilled players that can score and putting a lot of pressure on the Winnipeg D with our Suzuki and KK lines. Further I love the way he has broken with playing our bottom D pairing together and shifted to rotating them with a top 4 partner so we aren't getting caught with a weak pairing on the ice. Too many coaches today fall into a pattern of rolling their D. I said a while ago the Habs wculd use 3,4, or 5 D rotation in certain parts of the game and that is what a coach needs to do. Kulak and Gustafsson are still getting their icetime and providing a little added respite to our big 4 but they are at a much lower risk when out there.

Ducharme has some interesting opportunities with last change now and I expect Winnipeg to have a much harder time finding room out there. My only concern is we did start to look a little tired towards the end of the last game. Sunday night needs to be better and by that I mean we need to contiue to make life easier for Carey and make sure we are more physical in front of the net.  I was a little worried when with 3 seconds left we let a player break in for a good clean shot. The forwards (specificly Toffoli) were too far up ice and not getting back at a very crucial time. The back checking wasn't what it needed to be in the third and we need to skate better  and get on the forecheck in the third tomorrow.

I'm still bitter about him not playing KK and CC from the get-go and I'm especially bitter about him not playing Romanov but I'm pretty good about everything else he's done. I think we need bring Tatar back into the line-up. Good to switch it up and give a player who isn't playing well, whoever it is, a chance to take a breather. I'd like to see more of a rotation

Can't complain with a 2-0 series lead, but cracks are beginning to show:

1. 3rd Period Performance - it has become progressively worse since Game 7 against Toronto, particularly in the final remaining minutes.  In Game 2, Price was virtually hung out to dry by his D in the final 3 minutes.  Especially 6 on 5 with empty net, the D struggle to clear the puck out of their zone.  DD rides his top 4 D hard all the way but I wonder if cumulative fatigue is starting to show.  It still boggles me why DD refused to take a timeout in the final minutes :5155:, knowing full well his D are tired and should buy them time to rest? What's he saving his timeout for in the final minutes? A coach's challenge :6416:?

2. Josh Anderson - he's becoming old Pacioretty-esque for several games now, floating around and not threatening the opponent net.  When was the last time you saw him take a shot at goal? Too bad there's simply not enough forward depth right now and between him and Tatar, there's no choice but to hope he comes into his element soon.

3. PP regression - in Game 2, where was the proper setup and setting up a one-timer to the net?  Most of the time it was dumping behind the opponent net and hoping to shoot at close range (when the net was buffered by the opponent's entire D corp). The players don't even bother setting up Weber for the cliché one-timer now because it has lost its accuracy.  

Now back to the Bell Centre. I wonder how many people are lining up to be ripped off two nights in a row paying inflated ticket prices :P? Will Molson generously give out tickets to frontline health workers?  

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We will need 2,500 fans to be REALLY loud tomorrow night. The fourth one will be the hardest to win.

This.

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We will need 2,500 fans to be REALLY loud tomorrow night. The fourth one will be the hardest to win.

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

This.

nah I'm calling it. The Jets look awful and like they just want the season to end. They have no fight in them. 

When is the last time habs swept a team? I can't remember

12 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yes a few nights without seeing that annoying Tim Hortons stick commercial would be nice.

Lets finish grounding the Jets tomorrow!

1 minute ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Yes a few nights without seeing that annoying Tim Hortons stick commercial would be nice.

Lets finish grounding the Jets tomorrow!

Then they can have some rest. 

12 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

It’s looking good but it’s not over till you win 4.

Just ask Toronto.

Caller on TSN, "Call me an idiot, but don't you think we should start Allen tomorrow?" They talked about why not and then said let's give him what he wants and called him an idiot. 

:4224: