• Habs in 4
    • Habs in 5
    • Habs in 6
    • Habs in 7
    • LV in 4
    • LV in 5
    • LV in 6
    • LV in 7

The Habs will eventually get burnt if they continue to give up the neutral zone to advancing Vegas players with the puck and retreat to their D zone without attempting to challenge. They're just looking to block shots with numbers inside their own D zone. Helps Vegas to screen Price in the crowded area.

Have to feel like the Habs are inside Vegas' heads right now. A few key things:

1. MAF looked bad last night. He didn't get tested a lot but he was juggling pucks and looked nervous. One reporter quoted MAF as saying that after he made a bad play on the puck that resulted in a goal against in the World juniors in 2004, he was hesitant to play the puck for a long time afterwards. We also know the Habs have beaten the Pens on bad goals against Fleury and that's been unhinged in the playoffs playing Montreal before. It's got to be back in his head.

2. Pacoretty is also another headcase. He honestly seems quite juvenile. He was like that in Montreal as well, where he would pout and where he couldn't handle criticism. He still looks like he has no sense of humour and he looks like the fans' booing him is making him angry. He's spending most of his time whining at the refs and yapping, and he's kept most of his game to the outside. You see him carrying the puck down the left flank a lot for Vegas, but he's almost exclusively staying along the boards. Good for us. He doesn't look very involved in the play right now.

3. Everyone in the league saw the atrocious one-way officiating last night. Reporters for the Leafs, the Oilers, and other teams called it out. So if they can see it, so too could the league. If they try to pull that again, it'll be evident. So hopefully much harder for the league to do what they did the past two games and put the refs against us.

4. Carey Price has shut down the Knights and frankly, Vegas has been relying on their D to score on screenshots. I think their forward group has only two goals. That also has to be in their heads, so much so that guys like DeBoer and Marchessault have gone out of their way to say Carey isn't in their heads (which means he is).

5. Stephenson has a concussion as per Renaud Lavoie. That means he needs at least 7 days out, which means by protocol he has to be out for Game 4. I don't think hes a key cog in their wheels, but it does mean they've been swapping around all their lines trying to find a new 1C. They've tried Roy, they've tried Kolesar, they've tried Tuch. And that makes their third line worse. Would be great if we could win Game 3 with the fans harassing MAF and Pacioretty and with the Habs taking advantage of confusion in the Vegas line-up.

40 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

1. MAF looked bad last night. He didn't get tested a lot but he was juggling pucks and looked nervous. One reporter quoted MAF as saying that after he made a bad play on the puck that resulted in a goal against in the World juniors in 2004, he was hesitant to play the puck for a long time afterwards. We also know the Habs have beaten the Pens on bad goals against Fleury and that's been unhinged in the playoffs playing Montreal before. It's got to be back in his head.

2. Pacoretty is also another headcase. He honestly seems quite juvenile. He was like that in Montreal as well, where he would pout and where he couldn't handle criticism. He still looks like he has no sense of humour and he looks like the fans' booing him is making him angry. He's spending most of his time whining at the refs and yapping, and he's kept most of his game to the outside. You see him carrying the puck down the left flank a lot for Vegas, but he's almost exclusively staying along the boards. Good for us. He doesn't look very involved in the play right now.

3. Everyone in the league saw the atrocious one-way officiating last night. Reporters for the Leafs, the Oilers, and other teams called it out. So if they can see it, so too could the league. If they try to pull that again, it'll be evident. So hopefully much harder for the league to do what they did the past two games and put the refs against us.

4. Carey Price has shut down the Knights and frankly, Vegas has been relying on their D to score on screenshots. I think their forward group has only two goals. That also has to be in their heads, so much so that guys like DeBoer and Marchessault have gone out of their way to say Carey isn't in their heads (which means he is).

5. Stephenson has a concussion as per Renaud Lavoie. That means he needs at least 7 days out, which means by protocol he has to be out for Game 4. I don't think hes a key cog in their wheels, but it does mean they've been swapping around all their lines trying to find a new 1C. They've tried Roy, they've tried Kolesar, they've tried Tuch. And that makes their third line worse. Would be great if we could win Game 3 with the fans harassing MAF and Pacioretty and with the Habs taking advantage of confusion in the Vegas line-up.

I haven't looked at any of his stats but I was happy with the Vegas matchup because I remember Fleury having struggled in his home province and thought this was a big advantage for us. It proved to be the case last night. Our role players have been highly effective be they penalty killers or playing 5 on 5. We are playing a good system with a great goalie and taking advantage of the mistakes when we need to. Perhaps the hockey Gods are making up for many of the bad calls and bad bounces that have hurt us in more recent playoff. (see Philadelphia last fall) We need to keep staying away from the emotional retaliatory stuff and forcing Vegas into mistakes. This isn't done yet (Vegas proved they could come back against Colorado) but it is a little closer to done than it was before last night. If we need to play 11 more games I'll take a 6 and  5 record, no need to get too greedy at this point

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I agree with all of this we also need to be a lot better though, I hope we find a way to get Evans back in the lineup if he is ready and we have to stop playing Gus if he is only going to play that little! at least Romanov can be trusted to take a few more shifts and lay out some hits.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yup. Even Craig Button calling it like it is https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/button-habs-victory-wasn-t-just-luck-they-deserve-credit-for-finding-a-way-to-win~2224064

11 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

The Habs will eventually get burnt if they continue to give up the neutral zone to advancing Vegas players with the puck and retreat to their D zone without attempting to challenge. They're just looking to block shots with numbers inside their own D zone. Helps Vegas to screen Price in the crowded area.

Blah blah blah. :lol:

8 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree with all of this we also need to be a lot better though, I hope we find a way to get Evans back in the lineup if he is ready and we have to stop playing Gus if he is only going to play that little! at least Romanov can be trusted to take a few more shifts and lay out some hits.

Agreed on getting Romanov back in for Gus, especially since we aren't getting any PP's anyways. I know not everyone likes Kulak that much, but I'd also sub Kulak in for Merrill. Romanov-Kulak was a decent pairing for us in the regular season.

Up front, I also agree about getting Evans in, but the question is who comes out for him. Statistically, our worst forwards have been Byron and Armia, but both have come up with big games this series. Staal has also looked tired at times and made a boneheaded play last game, but do you disrupt the chemistry on his line? The JK line was the most under-achieving until last game but they scored two goals last game? And our biggest underachiever as a single player has been Gallagher, who has had a disappointing playoffs in general, but I can't see them taking him out. I'm not sure where the Habs would stick Evans. Frankly, at this point, the only guy I'd consider removing to put him in would be Staal.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed on getting Romanov back in for Gus, especially since we aren't getting any PP's anyways. I know not everyone likes Kulak that much, but I'd also sub Kulak in for Merrill. Romanov-Kulak was a decent pairing for us in the regular season.

Up front, I also agree about getting Evans in, but the question is who comes out for him. Statistically, our worst forwards have been Byron and Armia, but both have come up with big games this series. Staal has also looked tired at times and made a boneheaded play last game, but do you disrupt the chemistry on his line? The JK line was the most under-achieving until last game but they scored two goals last game? And our biggest underachiever as a single player has been Gallagher, who has had a disappointing playoffs in general, but I can't see them taking him out. I'm not sure where the Habs would stick Evans. Frankly, at this point, the only guy I'd consider removing to put him in would be Staal.

I would like to see Romanov in for Merrill. I have to think that after the last two games the Habs should actually get one or two make up calls, So Gus may have a chance to be useful. I think from the earlier games he was in Kulak just looked over whelmed by the forecheck. I don't know it is the speed or the hitting but he just looked shacky. I know this probably isn't popular but I think I might put Evans (if ready) in for JK. Evans I think is a better forechecker and has more speed which I think would mesh well with Byron and Anderson. Evans is better defensively even though JK has been better. JK just seems to get knocked off the puck to much and he doesn't skate or move the puck quick enough. Vegas forechecks and backchecks fast and JK gets stripped of the puck to often from behind. The other option would be Stahl but other than the give away Stahl has good chemistry with Perry and is good along the boards. Evans speed would be nice also on that line.

15 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Hope Richardson sends out the memo to his players to NEVER EVER do a no-look back pass in the D zone, especially near the crease.

That move is only meant inside the O zone.

The Staal pass?  yeah looking at the replay I don't think Staal actually meant the puck to go that direction, he looked suprised himself.  That or he forgot what zone he was in.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:33 AM, Shutoutfan said:

I hope LVK doesnt switch to Lehner in goal. Still remember the time Carolina switched from Gerber to Cam Ward in 2006 and we couldnt do any dmg anymore.

They did and now we can count seeing him the remainder of the series.  

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Despite last night's loss, the team looked much better than we did in game three. This series is winnable. We can do it. This is our shot to get to a Finals for the first time since 1993. I believe we can do it!

I mean it's strange to say, but I'd probably put down last night as our best-played game of the series.  We obviously didn't get the result, but if they play like that the rest of the way it's going to come.

Just now, Manatee-X said:

I mean it's strange to say, but I'd probably put down last night as our best-played game of the series.  We obviously didn't get the result, but if they play like that the rest of the way it's going to come.

I would agree. We played consistently well for most of the game. That is an improvement on the first three games where Vegas dominated large stretches of play and Price was the difference maker.