The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mon. June 13, Habs @ Vegas, 9PM est., CBC, SN, NBC, etc.

kinot-2

Special teams: The Canadiens have an excellent penalty kill, allowing just three goals on 31 opportunities (90.3%). They've actually scored more shorthanded goals than their opponents have scored on the power play. The Habs lead NHL teams with four shorthanded goals this postseason; no other team has more than one. The whistle wasn't blown much in Vegas' second-round series, but for the postseason, they are only operating at 71.4% on the penalty kill. The Habs are clicking on just 18.8% of their power plays, but Vegas is even worse, at 14.3%.

45 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

We match up well against Vegas. It will be nice to see Patches and Fleury, but I think we have a better overall team.

Ya know, I've seen the stats on the Habs/LV series, and from what I've seen, we both match up pretty even all around. gonna be a great game. 

10 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

We match up well against Vegas. It will be nice to see Patches and Fleury, but I think we have a better overall team.

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know, I've seen the stats on the Habs/LV series, and from what I've seen, we both match up pretty even all around. gonna be a great game. 

It definitely should be interesting. We play such a similar game and have built very similar teams. 

We also both have distinct advantages at different positions, imho:

- Our centres are better than theirs
- Their wingers are better than ours
- They are strong throughout all 4 lines but our 4th line probably has better offensive potential
- Their top defensmen are better than ours (especially if Petry is out & Weber is still not quite where he used to be)
- Our depth defensmen are better than theirs
- Our goaltending is better (but its very close)

We also have an advantage at special teams but its hard to say if thats accurate since we played different teams in the first 2 rounds. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

It definitely should be interesting. We play such a similar game and have built very similar teams. 

We also both have distinct advantages at different positions, imho:

- Our centres are better than theirs
- Their wingers are better than ours
- They are strong throughout all 4 lines but our 4th line probably has better offensive potential
- Their top defensmen are better than ours (especially if Petry is out & Weber is still not quite where he used to be)
- Our depth defensmen are better than theirs
- Our goaltending is better (but its very close)

We also have an advantage at special teams but its hard to say if thats accurate since we played different teams in the first 2 rounds. 

This is essentially the same assessment of the series I posted, so we're aligned on all of this.

I would say with respect to special teams that the numbers are probably just outliers because of the small sample size. Colorado and Winnipeg were both top 10 powerplays this year, but Winnipeg was missing Scheifele and traded Laine mid-season, so they likely had some drop-off. Toronto and Minnesota both had weaker PP's this year. The Habs' opponents had weaker PK's (especially Toronto) than the teams Vegas faced, and Vegas actually had the #1 PK in the league during the season. I think Price playing well largely drove our PK in the first two rounds, so much of that comes down to who wins the goaltending battle IMO. On paper, the special teams battle is likely pretty even as long as Price holds up.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

This is essentially the same assessment of the series I posted, so we're aligned on all of this.

I would say with respect to special teams that the numbers are probably just outliers because of the small sample size. Colorado and Winnipeg were both top 10 powerplays this year, but Winnipeg was missing Scheifele and traded Laine mid-season, so they likely had some drop-off. Toronto and Minnesota both had weaker PP's this year. The Habs' opponents had weaker PK's (especially Toronto) than the teams Vegas faced, and Vegas actually had the #1 PK in the league during the season. I think Price playing well largely drove our PK in the first two rounds, so much of that comes down to who wins the goaltending battle IMO. On paper, the special teams battle is likely pretty even as long as Price holds up.

Yeah i really think this is going to be closer than the odds makers are calling it. 

I think that the whole "the north was garbage" narrative is false too. The west was pretty so-so aside from LV and Col and certainly the Cali teams were horrible.  Vegas already had trouble with Minnesota & while they were able to neutralize Colorado I think they are going to have more trouble with us.  I know that the numbers favour them & most people are calilng for a long series but I think we'll be the winners, in 6. 

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Petry, Evans, and Merrill all doing extra work at practice, so they are not expected to play tonight. DD continues to say he is expected back "soon."

Merrill will (and should) be out, im sure.  Evans i think they will tread lightly with & considering we still have Tatar as a healthy scratch i dont think they are rushing.

Petry is the only guy that if they feel confident in his abilities, might play, but i feel like they will try without him & if we dont get shellacked, they will let him rest a little longer. If we get beaten soundly then i think they rush him back. 

Petry has what appears to be a modified glove  . Doesnt look like he can fully squeeze his stick and maybe he has some sort of cast on . ( if you look inside the glove )

27 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Petry has what appears to be a modified glove  . Doesnt look like he can fully squeeze his stick and maybe he has some sort of cast on . ( if you look inside the glove )

Was assuming they would get him some sort of modified glove.  Its good to see him on the ice for sure.

My guess is they see if they can go without him & take it one game at a time.  Will definitely be putting strain on the other 3 guys... 

Gord Dwyer and Francois Charron are the refs for tonight, which I can completely live with. No ref is perfect, but I have less complaints about these guys than the average ref. At least no more Furlatt and no Lee. And FWIW, Dwyer is one of the refs under whom road teams have one of the more favorable records in the league, so he doesn't cave to home ice advantage and heckling fans (and we know Vegas is full house tonight)...

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Was assuming they would get him some sort of modified glove.  Its good to see him on the ice for sure.

My guess is they see if they can go without him & take it one game at a time.  Will definitely be putting strain on the other 3 guys... 

For me this is the playoffs it is all about this time of year! you play. it is just fingers he has all off season to heal the team needs you if you can play an effective game you play. 

Montreal withstands the first 15 minutes and gets a breakaway goal late in the first by Caulfield. Then it's tight the rest of the game gets nasty late and we win 3-2 Gallagher and Armia get the other goals. Pac on the PP and Theodore score for Vegas......HABS steal home ice!!!  GO HABS GO!!!!

33 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

For me this is the playoffs it is all about this time of year! you play. it is just fingers he has all off season to heal the team needs you if you can play an effective game you play. 

I understand the reasoning but you have to make sure its something you aren't worsening too. I trust the doctors - while i the team is often vague with communication i think the doctors know what they are doing.    If sitting out this series mean he'll be nearly 100% effective for the SCF but playing too early means he'll only be at 60% and never get better till the offseason you really have to weigh both sides.  And on the flip side you might say "if he doesnt play this series there's no SCF" so its definitely not a black and white issue. 

18 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Montreal withstands the first 15 minutes and gets a breakaway goal late in the first by Caulfield. Then it's tight the rest of the game gets nasty late and we win 3-2 Gallagher and Armia get the other goals. Pac on the PP and Theodore score for Vegas......HABS steal home ice!!!  GO HABS GO!!!!

Im pretty sure one team comes out flying. Im not sure if it will be us or vegas but i do have a feeling we'll score first. 

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I understand the reasoning but you have to make sure its something you aren't worsening too. I trust the doctors - while i the team is often vague with communication i think the doctors know what they are doing.    If sitting out this series mean he'll be nearly 100% effective for the SCF but playing too early means he'll only be at 60% and never get better till the offseason you really have to weigh both sides.  And on the flip side you might say "if he doesnt play this series there's no SCF" so its definitely not a black and white issue. 

Agreed and it was announced early last week that nothing was broken just 2 dislocated fingers which believe me are painful enough. Take about a week or two to regain full strength.

32 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Spoiler alert. :frech1:

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im pretty sure one team comes out flying. Im not sure if it will be us or vegas but i do have a feeling we'll score first. 

Well, we've never trailed when we score first.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic