The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread

Your prediction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Cup?

An improbable run, makes you feel crappy though at the end.  Every year when the habs lost in playoffs it was the end of the hockey year for me so at least they went this far.  Just outmatched really.  Our forwards were shut down like we did to the previous 3 opponents.  The cup really does belong back in Canada and soon.. it's a true shame it's been so long.  Thanks to the habs for the memorable start and end to the year and thanks to all the members and their comments on here!  I've really enjoyed reading all the different opinions on things over the years.

It was really tough watching McDonough and sergachev play against the Habs, I freaking HATED those trades from the second they happened!  I was so excited with each of them when the habs drafted em.  That's one of the worst things for me aside from losing the cup.  Can't dwell on the past I know but the past can come back to haunt ya

I am SOOOOOOO proud of our team of giving us hopes, and dreams of getting to the SCF and winning the Stanley Cup. All of us knew it was an uphill battle, but, in the end, it didn't work out for us. I'm sure none of us expected the run. 

:5187:

Well it was a fun and totally unexpected run. And unlike the previous 2 deep runs I remember, this one wasn't just our goalie stealing it (Price played great, but it wasn't Halak 2010) and didn't end due to some stupid injury (Kreider taking out Price).

Ultimately I was frustrated with a few coaching choices (Romanov most notably), but I don't think it really mattered: Tampa is just too good, they may be the closest to a true dynasty-level team we've seen in the cap-era. Throwing Tatar or Romanov (earlier) in the lineup wouldn't have been enough to swing the series IMO.

I'm not sure how repeatable this is. What gives me hope is upfront Suzuki, Caufield, and possibly Anderson look like the potential legitimate top line we've lacked in forever. And Toffoli and Galagher can complete a nice second line: the big question mark is if JK can take a big step forward, otherwise that #2 center spot will remain a concern. We also may have some depth issues on the bottom six depending who we lose this offseason, but MB usually does a decent job finding depth guys.  A defense built around Petry, Edmundson, and Romanov should at least be decent for the next couple years (and Weber may have another year or two left in him). Goal remains a huge question mark, with us possibly losing Allen and Price's health/inconsistency.

Returning to the Atlantic will be tough with Tampa, Boston, and Toronto. Although we also have Detroit, Buffalo, and Ottawa to rack up points against, and the wild-card seeding should help make it into the playoffs.

Hats off to the Habs for a remarkable run, very proud of what this team accomplished.  No shame in being beaten by a team so far over the salary cap that it's become a joke, toss in the very questionable ref'ing in the playoffs and I think the players can hold their heads high they did MTL proud

Several members of the media making a point that Bettman usually congratulates the runner up and that this was perhaps the only time they can remember that Bettman did not. No mention of the Habs and their run against all odds. His only reference to the Canadiens was mentioning Dryden had played all games in back to back cups as he presented the Conn Smythe to Vas. Was it a purposeful snub? An oversight? Or a subconscious truth that he doesn't care much about the Habs and other Canadian teams?

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Several members of the media making a point that Bettman usually congratulates the runner up and that this was perhaps the only time they can remember that Bettman did not. No mention of the Habs and their run against all odds. His only reference to the Canadiens was mentioning Dryden had played all games in back to back cups as he presented the Conn Smythe to Vas. Was it a purposeful snub? An oversight? Or a subconscious truth that he doesn't care much about the Habs and other Canadian teams?

All of the above! the little troll is a joke.

Great playoff run. Was super fun and enjoyable! Unfortunately, we couldn't carry the momentum from rounds 1-3 into the Finals. TB has a roster built to win the Cup. Montreal clawed their way there, but just didn't have enough. Who knows when we'll see the Finals again. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Have to agree! What an embarassment by the commissioner! What was even a bigger embarrassment was the interview by Kucherov! What a classless individual! To appear on TV in that manner and then run down the Habs fans was uncalled for. He should be fined by the NHL and for the interview to have even been shown was a joke. It is unfortunate that Bettman is a huge supporter of this type of BS. The NHL is looking more like the WWF every year! He needs to be replaced and has outrun his tenure.

As far as the Habs go they finished off a season that none of us expected. They never gave up and had they started the series playing like they did in games 4&5 who knows what may have happened? As a Habs fan I am very proud of the manner in which they showed up for the playoffs and the way in which they never quit. They showed a lot of grit for an 18th place team and they were just simply outplayed and out coached in the Finals. The summer will be interesting and I am sure that DD & MB will retain their positions for next season. Not sure if I totally agree but that conversation is for another day.

Congrats to the Habs for giving us some great entertainment during the playoffs and the finals. They showed real grit and never gave up! The young stars showed up to play despite their lack of experience at that level and show real promise to the future of the team.:5187:

Proud of the boys, it just wasn’t enough against a very, very strong team. 

Hated the reffing and also Kucherov’s remarks, what a clown.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

Proud of the boys, it just wasn’t enough against a very, very strong team. 

Yeah, Kucherov's presser was full of dumb comments about Montreal fans and the Vezina trophy. Like, so what Montreal fans celebrated like mad when we won game four? It's because they were enjoying themselves, experiencing the moment, and because they actually care about the team.

7 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I guess when you win the Cup you have free reign to act like an idiot and make stupid comments. 

.' And then they gave it to whatever the guy in Vegas, the Vezina. And then last year, they gave (the) Vezina to somebody else. No. 1 ????????."

40 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, Kucherov's presser was full of dumb comments about Montreal fans and the Vezina trophy. Like, so what Montreal fans celebrated like mad when we won game four? It's because they were enjoying themselves, experiencing the moment, and because they actually care about the team.

Completely classless.  When you win, the last thing you do is insult people. Be gracious, be humble.  Be a good winner.

Dude can play but he's a freaking tool of a human being. 

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Completely classless.  When you win, the last thing you do is insult people. Be gracious, be humble.  Be a good winner.

Dude can play but he's a freaking tool of a human being. 

Apparently he is often quite quiet. Perhaps it was the alcohol?

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Apparently he is often quite quiet. Perhaps it was the alcohol?

How much alcohol did he, a professional athlete, drink, in an hour or so, to make him act like a clown >

Andrei Vasilevskiy is a great goalie , no doubt , but I dont think Montreal tested him enough in the five games .

And Andrei Vasilevskiy is 26 , CP had his career year in 2014/15 when he was 28? he will be 34 in AUgust . It's only natural that some younger hot shot goalie will come around