Your prediction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Cup?

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

This is what Tampa has to look forward to,,,

Mathews, Marner,,,1 goal combined in 7 games

Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Dubois,,,1 goal combined in 4 games

Pacioritty, Stone, Tuch, Marshessault ,,, 1 goal combined in 6 games

The top 5 point getters in the POs, are all TB players. 

38 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The top 5 point getters in the POs, are all TB players. 

True, but they also haven't faced a stifling defense and the goalie with the best stats in the playoffs.     The big 4 led by Weber could potentially frustrate the hell out of TB and all it takes is for Carey to get in their head and suddenly the goals dry up.

On 6/24/2021 at 11:23 PM, HabsRuleForever said:

It’s been a long time. How many of you were not alive in 93 yet?

I was alive, but I was 9 months old when we won the cup lol. I'm so excited to be able to watch it happen now!

On 6/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, maas_art said:

Even though i think the Isle might be an easier matchup, i think that TB will be less motivated - dont get me wrong, they are going to be motivated - but they just won last year... i like our chances. 

Have to ask Pittsburgh Penguins whether they were motivated in 2017 after winning the Cup the previous year.  There are teams like Washington and St. Louis who're satisfied to win one cup just to get the monkey off their backs and perhaps leave that to be their franchise legacy.  There are other teams that hunger beyond one cup win for something bigger....like..........dynasty.  

This is my first post in years, feels like a good time to return. Exciting to finally see the Habs in a cup final (I was alive for the last one, but not following hockey). 

Part of me feels like this could be 4-game sweep by Tampa, but I felt the same about the Leafs and Vegas series (the Jets was the only series I felt okay going into). The Lightning are just so good: they have the top end talent of Toronto plus the depth of Vegas. But the Isles took them to 7 games and arguably Montreal is playing better than Isles are, plus Montreal just keeps exceeding expectations, so who knows.

Either way, it's been a great ride. Honestly the last few years I've lost some passion for hockey, getting a lot more entertainment out of NFL, but this run has reminded me how much fun NHL playoffs can be.

Btw, on Kucherov, I doubt he "faked" the injury, but it's always been the case that being healthy enough to play isn't black or white: lots of players aren't healthy but can suit up if needed, (e.g. the old "if we're winning, let's not rush them back" type of argument). My guess is Tampa took this line of thinking to the extreme this year (I assume Kucherov could have played towards the end of the season, but also wasn't 100% healthy). 

I don't think Tampa cheated, but they definitely exploited a loophole. It's hard to know how to fix it (you can't have doctors forcing players to play because "they seem healthy enough"), perhaps salary cap should apply to playoffs somehow?

In any case, it feels unfair and has gotten them a lot of hate, so Montreal may actually be going into this series as the "face" team :).

Here's a Stanley Cup trivia.  Make of it whatever you wish :ph34r:.   

Since 2013, the semi-finalist that booked its place in the Stanley Cup Final first has not gone on to win the Cup.  Sounds spooky but the same outcome has repeated itself 8 years in a row so far :4845:!  

8 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

This is my first post in years, feels like a good time to return. Exciting to finally see the Habs in a cup final (I was alive for the last one, but not following hockey). 

Part of me feels like this could be 4-game sweep by Tampa, but I felt the same about the Leafs and Vegas series (the Jets was the only series I felt okay going into). The Lightning are just so good: they have the top end talent of Toronto plus the depth of Vegas. But the Isles took them to 7 games and arguably Montreal is playing better than Isles are, plus Montreal just keeps exceeding expectations, so who knows.

Welcome back Graeme and I agree with you.

5 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Since 2013, the semi-finalist that booked its place in the Stanley Cup Final first has not gone on to win the Cup.  Sounds spooky but the same outcome has repeated itself 8 years in a row so far :4845:!  

Streaks are made to be broken.

5 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Your ability to find trivia supporting whichever team is the overwhelming series favourite against Montreal is mildly interesting.  However, that ability does give you the nebulous benefit of a seat on numerous bandwagons which you must enjoy. :)

21 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

Your ability to find trivia supporting whichever team is the overwhelming series favourite against Montreal is mildly interesting.  However, that ability does give you the nebulous benefit of a seat on numerous bandwagons which you must enjoy. :)

I agree though it's kind of funny to hear at this point. I've always believed anything can happen. I remember watching Drydens run where at that time no one thought Montreal could win, I also watched in 86 and 93 where no one picked Montreal. Then of course the other teams along the way as recent as St. Louis. There have been far to many Presidents trophy teams teams knocked out early or teams without enough "stars" to win. It's great to see all the support now and as a fan from the 60's I'm definitely ready!!!! I hope all those 2 weeks a month 2 months ect. ago enjoy it as much as I do ...............as far as I'm concerned there's lots of room on this wagon even if you may have just started believing!!!!

5 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Evans replacing armia at practice 

It's unfortunate but I'm gald to see it's Evans. He can bring a lot ot that line and can still kill penalties and even move into the line up at other spots when needed. 

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Joel armia won’t travel with the team - in coivid protocol

The 1919 Cup finals between the Montreal Canadiens and the Seattle Metropolitans ended with no winner declared due to the Canadiens being decimated by illness in that pandemic. Montreal offered to forfeit the series but Seattle refused the offer in a display of sportmanship. One Canadien player, Joe Hall, unfortunately died. 

Lets hope Armia is the only one from both teams to test positive in this years final.

For those who believe in fate , I read that any time Montreal and Toronto have played each other in the playoffs , the winner has gone in to win the Stanley cup .   No idea of the actual matchups , when etc 

• H_T_L changed the title to Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread
  • HabsRuleForever locked this topic