The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread

Your prediction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Cup?

On 6/25/2021 at 3:23 PM, arpem-can said:

You are conditioned  like me my friend ...been around for 17 Cups ...born in '47...been a Hab fan since I could walk 

You've been around for 18, not 17. Same as me. Go Habs Go

On 6/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, HabsAlways said:

The key is Game 1 ... whether the Habs lose or not.     If the score is close, say 2-1 or 3-2 ... then that lets Carey get in their heads.

I don't think Carey will be in their head, no matter how well he plays, if Tampa wins. They will only see the W, at least a good coach should frame it that way. And Cooper is a good coach. On the other hand, if they lose, with a big shot total, and an 0 for 5 on the PP ......

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

On ESPN.  10 out 15 pick Tampa 

Thats good. I think this team plays better as the underdog.
Even though NYI would be an easier matchup for us, I think we have a better chance against TB.   

This series, I think, is going to come down to goaltending. 

Refs for the finals confirmed as O'Rourke and Charron tonight and then Sutherland, Furlatt, and Dwyer. Two of the three will be the other duo and one will be the back-up. NO CHRIS LEE, may his sorry self be fired from his job.

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Refs for the finals confirmed as O'Rourke and Charron tonight and then Sutherland, Furlatt, and Dwyer. Two of the three will be the other duo and one will be the back-up. NO CHRIS LEE, may his sorry self be fired from his job.

Lets hope.  I know O'Rourke was terrible in the last series by association but i think part of it was not wanting to get on Lee's bad side.  Im not saying that an excuse - he needs to man up - but I think he wont be as bad if he's paired with a more competent partner.

Either way, if there's any kind of fix, I think they will be favouring us. I dont think the league wants a team that has essentially cheated the Cap system to win the cup. 

Habs in seven, this is going to be a tough one. But if our defence hits the skilled forwards every time they enter the zone we should come out on top. The Islanders defender did not seem to do a lot of that, they were more interested in going for the puck. Need to set the tone in game one and knock some guys around. Legally of course. Not going to keep that power play off the board. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Lets hope.  I know O'Rourke was terrible in the last series by association but i think part of it was not wanting to get on Lee's bad side.  Im not saying that an excuse - he needs to man up - but I think he wont be as bad if he's paired with a more competent partner.

Either way, if there's any kind of fix, I think they will be favouring us. I dont think the league wants a team that has essentially cheated the Cap system to win the cup. 

Except the league was totally fine with them cheating the cap system in the first place.  If the League did not like it they would have commented and failing that TB would have faced a lot of penalties in first 3 rounds to prevent them going deep.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Except the league was totally fine with them cheating the cap system in the first place.  If the League did not like it they would have commented and failing that TB would have faced a lot of penalties in first 3 rounds to prevent them going deep.

Except it was the easy route to just allow Tampa to get away with it. Tampa didn't actually overcut the cap. The problem was that they clearly manipulated medical recovery times to make them coincide with when the cap was no longer an issue. So for the NHL to prove Tampa cheated, they would have needed an independent medical examiner to have stated that Kucherov or Stamkos was able to play earlier than what the team said, and that likely would have been hard to do in retrospect. I think it's clear Tampa cheated here, but if the players were on board with staying out longer to help their team, then there's not much the league can do. I still think they don't like the spirit of what Tampa did.

We've faced teams with better talent than us, but this is the first series where we've been clearly out-skated. Tampa has been faster than us and they move the puck quickly. I don't think we have the guns on defence to match up but I do think we can do better with our forwards to put more pressure on their defence. Their weak spots are Mcdonagh, Rutta, Cernak, and Savard. I think we need to reunite the Byron-Evans-Lehkonen line, which was a great forechecking line. I think we need to bring Tatar back and reunite him with Danault and Gallagher, which was a great possession line. Get the puck, keep the puck. That's the best strategy for keeping it away from Tampa's skilled forwards. My line-up for Game 2 would be

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Armia-Kotkaniemi-Anderson

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

Edmundson-Petry

Chiarot-Weber

Kulak-Romanov

3 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The last 3 teams who lost the 1st game in the finals, went on to win the cup.

Whenever Montreal and Toronto have played each other in the playoffs , the winner has gone in to win the cup

21 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Someone on tv mentioned Montreal has won 1 of the last 15 ( now 16 ) games against Tampa 

Ya, seen that. 

Rough start, but so was the first Vegas game. Let's get that split tomorrow B)

Yeah, we got outplayed mostly but still managed to hang in there right up until that fluke goal at the beginning of the third, the last two goals didn't really matter. This isn't over, but some adjustments may be needed soon-ish. I'd say the 4th line deserves another shot with Armia back in the lineup, Evans didn't really seem to work all that well as a replacement. Also, that Kucherov guy is pretty good... won't be easy to contain him.

I think it proves that if your going to play a jealous game that their defenders get in and plant themselves at the net we're going to lose in epic style.

I liked having Evans back in the lineup, but I really didn't feel like he gelled very well with the rest of his line.  At least twice he gave it away while breaking out of our zone by throwing a pass a bit in front of either Perry or Staal.  Obviously that's on him, but it also shows that he'd probably be better suited to playing with faster players that match his game.  Conversely, Armia works well on the line - he's just so strong along the boards, letting them really get the cycle going and playing to Perry/Staal's strengths.

With all that said, I don't know what I'd actually do with the lineup when Evans gets back - like I said, I like having Evans in - but I don't feel like that 4th line was working at all as-is.

On another subject, I was really impressed with Gallagher's game compared to some of the ones earlier in the playoffs.  He was one of the few on the team who matched Tampa's hustle, and came up with a few turnovers on the forecheck that I was not expecting anyone to get.

1 hour ago, archey said:

I think it proves that if your going to play a jealous game that their defenders get in and plant themselves at the net we're going to lose in epic style.

I meant their forwards...Upset I guess.

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

I liked having Evans back in the lineup, but I really didn't feel like he gelled very well with the rest of his line.  At least twice he gave it away while breaking out of our zone by throwing a pass a bit in front of either Perry or Staal.  Obviously that's on him, but it also shows that he'd probably be better suited to playing with faster players that match his game.  Conversely, Armia works well on the line - he's just so strong along the boards, letting them really get the cycle going and playing to Perry/Staal's strengths.

With all that said, I don't know what I'd actually do with the lineup when Evans gets back - like I said, I like having Evans in - but I don't feel like that 4th line was working at all as-is.

Honestly Gallagher looks like a shell of himself. This is not a criticism of him - you saw last night he'll do ANYTHING to try to win but his hand injury is severely limiting his effectiveness in all 3 zones.  Id consider sitting him & putting Evans in his spot  (Lehkohen - Danault - Evans should have some jump)  although at this point it would be tough to break up some of the chemistry we already have.  We could dress Tatar and go back to the Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line so we could reunite Byron - Evans - Lehkonen but that mans Staal and/or Perry come out and I dont see the coaches doing that.

Really interested to see how the coaches adapt.  TB cheats a LOT and if we can figure out a way to exploit this we should be able to generate a ton of odd man rushes.  

We’ll see what happens in game 2 . But they couldn’t generate any sustained pressure / offence .  Gallagher’s taking a beating out there . They know he’s going to crash the crease and when he does Tampa just takes him out .   Hopefully Montreal csn up their game otherwise the series will be over in short order 

• H_T_L changed the title to Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread
  • HabsRuleForever locked this topic