The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread

Your prediction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Cup?

Hard to understand why the team is so deflated in the finals? There is no sync on the ice and considering they made it to the finals one would think they would be really anxiuos to take advantage of this incredible opportunity? However that being said they are playing a great hockey team here. There are no weak spots in this team from the goalie right through to the coach and GM. This is one solid franchise that is always in the hunt year after year. Game #2 was our best effort and they still won due to huge mistakes and turnovers. Those mistakes have been highly eveident in every game and is the main reason for the situation we are now in. Thise mistakes were not there in the previous three rounds. They have a very quick transition and when you turn the puck over they are all over it.

Very proud of the Habs performance to get here but very disappointed in their effort in the finals for sure. Not sure what the answer is but being on the verge of elimination in four straight I would put everthing but the kitchen sink into game four! 

Win or lose Sunday i won't think any less of the boys. It's been/still is, a hell of a run. Taking down the Leafs was my dream matchup this year and the Jets and Knights were just icing on the cake. Proud of these guys.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Win or lose Sunday i won't think any less of the boys. It's been/still is, a hell of a run. Taking down the Leafs was my dream matchup this year and the Jets and Knights were just icing on the cake. Proud of these guys.

I agree I'm still hoping for a comeback and the cup. You only win one game at a time. That said it'd been fun and exciting and if we did lose to Tampa there's nothing to be ashamed about. Again how is it legal to ice a team over the cap. I understand carrying extra players during the playoffs but the team iced should be cap compliant? I will say this last game I was disappointed with the two early goals. I thought those were goals Carey should of had. Playing from behind against a good team with a good goalie and defense is tough. I also thought for the first game Vas looked a little off and the team needed to get shots on without the extra pass. Shoot and go to the net fall into him a couple times don't let him be as comfortable. 

I think Molson should petition the league to allow for free agent signings during the playoffs. Seeing that the playoffs are cap free lets toss out a couple more circumvention of the rules right?

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

We  play on Mon. 

When you look at the team we are icing we have done a great job to get to the finals! Tampa is a well oiled machine with tons of stars and are in my opinion are circumventing the spirit of the rules with the cap! we are in over our heads talentwise as our young centers don't have enough time in yet and some of our guys are greybeards we got everything out of them to get here and I for one just don't want to get swept! if we do so bit it but I think we can pull off one more win. 

45 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Didn't even look. Just assumed it was every 2 days.

Try to keep up, I know you're old and frail, but, you might want to ask someone who knows and follows what's going on. :frech1:

40 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Tampa is just too good for us. They don't have any weaknesses we can exploit. Hopefully we can win a game or two at least and make it a bit more of a series

They have weaknesses:

1. Some of their D are not fantastic puck movers and have had trouble against an aggressive forecheck. Mcdo. Rutta. Sergachev.... I think if we had a line like Byron-Evans-Lehkonen, we could put pressure on them and force turnovers.

2. Vasilevskiy has really not been as good as his numbers show. He's been in great position most of the time and he's huge, so he covers a lot of the net, but his rebound control has been horrid against us. The Habs have had trouble getting established O zone pressure at 5v5 and consequently, they're not getting on a lot of rebounds. But if they can do better at getting traffic to the net, the rebounds will be there. Again, I'd like to see a line that can do that better, like Armia-JK-Anderson with three big guys who go to the net and have a bit more speed than Armia-Staal-Perry.

3. They have guys with short tempers. Sergachev, Mcdo, Maroon, Goodrow, Coleman... get under their skin but stay disciplined yourself and you can sway the PP time in your favor.

They're a well-built team but there are still things to exploit. The problem is the Habs haven't done it. They don't have the right defencemen in the line-up to move the puck up the ice quickly and to maintain possession and keep the puck away from Tampa's elite scorers. They've also committed way too many costly turnovers. And unlike the last 3 series, Price is not on his game and hasn't kept those bad defensive plays out of the net. So what has to happen to win? They need to put the odds in their favor by getting the aggressive forecheck going and by getting Kulak and Romanov back in for Gus and Merrill. They need to be able to distribute the D minutes more evenly and to have trust in the 3rd pairing to do that. They need to get to the net more. They need to be more concentrated and stop making so many mental errors, as they did last game (bad turnovers, bad line changes, stupid puck over the glass penalty, etc.). And they need Price to be .930 Price, not .890 Price. He can't let in weak goals like he did last game. The Habs were the better team in Game 2 and blew it on a mental mistake by Chiarot. In Game 3, they could have been competitive but made too many mistakes of their own. Game 1 was really the only game where I think Tampa out-matched us of their own accord. I think the Habs were largely their own worst enemies in Games 2 and 3 and they can correct those things. I don't think we will win the series, but I certainly think they're capable of competing with Tampa better than what they've shown and winning a game or two.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Try to keep up, I know you're old and frail, but, you might want to ask someone who knows and follows what's going on. :frech1:

Maybe your daughter when she's done doing your chores.:frech1:

Weird scheduling by the NHL once again. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the extra day off on travel days? Is this just because of the 4th of July holiday in the States? Since when don't they play games on holidays?:rolleyes:

as they say....if youre happy with your results, then keep doing what you are doing................

logic would dictate that it's time for a new approach, we are playing our most formidable opponent so far this year, without naming names , we have some underperforming players who could be replaced with some fresh players...perhaps a little more ice time for the younger legged guys, maybe some of the obviously ineffective D could sit out a game or two , yup it's one game at a time....but what we've been doing, aint workin' so good right now, imho it's time for the management(such as it is) and the coaching staff to swallow their pride, and ignore contract stipulations/issues and put the best guys out there !

I've been a Hab fan for longer than some of us here may have been alive , I'm impressed that we've come this far this year with all that's gone on , and proud to wear the Bleu-Blanc &Rouge no matter what the outcome 

go HABS !!

Im a huge optimist but im not delusional.  

I was cautiously optimistic throughout the TO series (even when we were down) and during some bad patches against vegas I never worried but this is probably an insurmountable lead.

They are just so good & have had all the bounces so far.   That said, I think that Monday night's game is winnable. I think our team will be desperate to avoid the sweep and I think if we can get a bounce in our favour for once we can beat them. I also think the Bolts will feel like they'd actually prefer to win game 5, at home, so they may not come out flying.  

I know they need to take it 1 game at a time, but if you win game 4 then you have a glimmer of hope  Now you go back to tampa knowing you can beat them (and that you vastly outplayed them in game 2).   You want to win game 5 so you can get back home... then its just another 3-2 lead etc etc.

The numbers are still hugely against us.  Even if we have some sort of miracle run you still have to play 4 perfect games and they just need ONE of them, but you know... it seems like its way too early to give this up.

Wouldnt it be a fitting end to the season this odd and remarkable team has had, to be the first team in 70 years or whatever to come back down 3-0 in the cup final?? 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Im a huge optimist but im not delusional.  

I was cautiously optimistic throughout the TO series (even when we were down) and during some bad patches against vegas I never worried but this is probably an insurmountable lead.

They are just so good & have had all the bounces so far.   That said, I think that Monday night's game is winnable. I think our team will be desperate to avoid the sweep and I think if we can get a bounce in our favour for once we can beat them. I also think the Bolts will feel like they'd actually prefer to win game 5, at home, so they may not come out flying.  

I know they need to take it 1 game at a time, but if you win game 4 then you have a glimmer of hope  Now you go back to tampa knowing you can beat them (and that you vastly outplayed them in game 2).   You want to win game 5 so you can get back home... then its just another 3-2 lead etc etc.

The numbers are still hugely against us.  Even if we have some sort of miracle run you still have to play 4 perfect games and they just need ONE of them, but you know... it seems like its way too early to give this up.

Wouldnt it be a fitting end to the season this odd and remarkable team has had, to be the first team in 70 years or whatever to come back down 3-0 in the cup final?? 

I agree. Obviously we are being optimistic, but it has to start with one game. I've been saying that Tampa's "dominance" has been overstated.

In my view, Game 1, Mtl. was star struck and played poorly.

Game 2, they proved they can control the play, but were still tight. Tampa is not tight and capitalized.

Game 3 was a tough climb after circumstances in the first 3 minutes.  (Bad icing... which also could have been waved off since Anderson was close to chipping it by at the red line, and then close to winning the race), followed by a bad defensive play in corner (I think Gustafsson... whom I hope is not playing anymore, along with Merrill), that led to a shot from point that We would like to see Price stop. Then, a bad clearing attempt that went over glass, resulted in pp, and Armia failed to pressure hedman who walked in and blasted a shot that, again, we would have liked to see Price save.   Result... 2-0 Lightning 3+ minutes into game.

I could continue elaborating on the nuances of game 3 and the series, but I think my point is made. ... This is not dominance. These are circumstances, flow, bounces, and momentum. I believe we can regain the momentum, and outplay Tampa. I believe we are a deeper team. I also believe that we have not fielded our best team yet. I think that Gustafsson and Merrill should be replaced by Romanov and Kulak. I also believe changes should be made to the forward lineup... most notably moving toffoli off from caufield and suzuki. I know toffoli wanted to play with suzuki, but suzuki and caufield want to play a faster, quicker game. In my opinion, Toffoli holds them back from that. Toffoli will add scoring depth to another line of ours and caufield will benefit from a higher pace. I think Gallagher would be the perfect fit for them, but could see Byron, Evans, Tatar, Lehkonen, or even kotkaniemi or Anderson fulfilling that role. We have so many potential line combinations, it's hard to compute, but I want to see changes made, and I truly believe we can win this series! Don't leave any stones unturned, and let's start this comeback!

Go Habs Go!:6188:

7 hours ago, jfcambell11 said:

I agree. Obviously we are being optimistic, but it has to start with one game. I've been saying that Tampa's "dominance" has been overstated.

In my view, Game 1, Mtl. was star struck and played poorly.

Game 2, they proved they can control the play, but were still tight. Tampa is not tight and capitalized.

Game 3 was a tough climb after circumstances in the first 3 minutes.  (Bad icing... which also could have been waved off since Anderson was close to chipping it by at the red line, and then close to winning the race), followed by a bad defensive play in corner (I think Gustafsson... whom I hope is not playing anymore, along with Merrill), that led to a shot from point that We would like to see Price stop. Then, a bad clearing attempt that went over glass, resulted in pp, and Armia failed to pressure hedman who walked in and blasted a shot that, again, we would have liked to see Price save.   Result... 2-0 Lightning 3+ minutes into game.

I could continue elaborating on the nuances of game 3 and the series, but I think my point is made. ... This is not dominance. These are circumstances, flow, bounces, and momentum. I believe we can regain the momentum, and outplay Tampa. I believe we are a deeper team. I also believe that we have not fielded our best team yet. I think that Gustafsson and Merrill should be replaced by Romanov and Kulak. I also believe changes should be made to the forward lineup... most notably moving toffoli off from caufield and suzuki. I know toffoli wanted to play with suzuki, but suzuki and caufield want to play a faster, quicker game. In my opinion, Toffoli holds them back from that. Toffoli will add scoring depth to another line of ours and caufield will benefit from a higher pace. I think Gallagher would be the perfect fit for them, but could see Byron, Evans, Tatar, Lehkonen, or even kotkaniemi or Anderson fulfilling that role. We have so many potential line combinations, it's hard to compute, but I want to see changes made, and I truly believe we can win this series! Don't leave any stones unturned, and let's start this comeback!

Go Habs Go!:6188:

I agree with both of these post. I hate the doom and gloom that so often is on this site. Why not be optimistic! Our the odds on our side , well no but who cares. It is possible thats how story's are written! 93 HABS 10 OT wins will that ever happen again? Price plays like he can we actually get a couple bounces. We still are in this. You actually do play the series one game at a time!                                                                 GO HABS GO!!!! 

7 hours ago, jfcambell11 said:

I could continue elaborating on the nuances of game 3 and the series, but I think my point is made. ... This is not dominance. These are circumstances, flow, bounces, and momentum.

Too many circumstances happening every game to over come and Tampa isnt going to lose 4 games in a row now 

http://mcubed.net/nhl/tb/mon.shtml

Habs only practiced the PP today and nothing else. The 1st unit featured Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield with Perry and Petry. The 2nd featured Armia, Gallagher, Anderson, Staal, and Weber. It was noted that Kotkaniemi and Gustafsson were both missing from their usual spots. While it's possible either guy could still be in the line-up, it also hints that they may be sitting. Gus, in particular, isn't used much at ES or on the PK, so if he's not on the PP, he's probably not in the line-up.

So we seem to know of 8 forwards who will stay in the line-up, and then we have Lehkonen, Byron, Danault, and JK who are unknowns.

My guess is that Merrill is staying in the line-up (another bad coaching decision if it happens) and that Gus will come out for one of Romanov or Kulak, while JK sits for Evans. Guessing Tatar is not in if he's not one of the 8 PP forwards. So overall, it looks like it will be more dumb personnel decisions from the coaches. Merrill, Staal, and maybe Byron or Perry needed to go, and JK needed to stay. Instead we're seeing no Tatar, we're keeping Merrill, and we're losing JK. Vomit.

36 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs only practiced the PP today and nothing else. The 1st unit featured Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield with Perry and Petry. The 2nd featured Armia, Gallagher, Anderson, Staal, and Weber. It was noted that Kotkaniemi and Gustafsson were both missing from their usual spots. While it's possible either guy could still be in the line-up, it also hints that they may be sitting. Gus, in particular, isn't used much at ES or on the PK, so if he's not on the PP, he's probably not in the line-up.

So we seem to know of 8 forwards who will stay in the line-up, and then we have Lehkonen, Byron, Danault, and JK who are unknowns.

My guess is that Merrill is staying in the line-up (another bad coaching decision if it happens) and that Gus will come out for one of Romanov or Kulak, while JK sits for Evans. Guessing Tatar is not in if he's not one of the 8 PP forwards. So overall, it looks like it will be more dumb personnel decisions from the coaches. Merrill, Staal, and maybe Byron or Perry needed to go, and JK needed to stay. Instead we're seeing no Tatar, we're keeping Merrill, and we're losing JK. Vomit.

I like JK but he hasn't been strong on the puck and Tampa's strong forecheck and back check seem to much for him to handle. I actually think Evans may be better, for a game. I'm fine with Gus or Merrill coming out. I'd rather see Tatar on one of the PP units. 

20 hours ago, jfcambell11 said:

This is not dominance. These are circumstances, flow, bounces, and momentum. I believe we can regain the momentum, and outplay Tampa.

12 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Too many circumstances happening every game to over come and Tampa isnt going to lose 4 games in a row now 

Yup, thats the real problem - time.   Even if we come out & have the game of our playoffs & absolutely destroy them, we have to do it 3 more times.  The Bolts need only one game with bounces & we're done.

I believe we will win game 4.  

I think we're 50/50 for game 5.  No matter how hard or how desperate we play in that game TB has to know they need to close it out. They do not want to come back to Montreal for game 6. 

If we somehow win both of those, we ride momentum & are back in montreal for game 6... but we still have to hope and pray they dont get any crazy bounces in their favour because we have exactly zero room for error. 

We are being out coached badly, and our veterans are letting the team down badly with stupid mistakes.  Add to that Price has let in a couple of softies it all adds up to TB having a 3-0 lead.  I really hope we can come back and make a series of it but our veterans really need to step up.  Staal and Merril should be in the press box but I have said that all play offs long so probably a little to late now.

GHG!!!!!!!!!

Time is our problem, but also probabilities.  As much as any other that I can think of, hockey is a sport where a weird lucky bounce can really shape a game.  So far in this series we haven't been getting the bounces.  Chariot's own goal off both his glove and stick comes to mind.  Last game when facing a 2-on-1 Carey made the save and kicked out the rebound hard, but then it ends up hitting the Tampa player's skate and bouncing back into the net.  These are the sorts of things that could happen to any team (just ask Fleury) but in this series they've been happening to us.

The point that I'm trying to make, though, is that this sort of unpredictability makes it really tough to win four games in a row.  Even if we're dominant, like we were in game 2, over the course of four games a bit of luck is bound to go against you at some point.  And it only takes once... so we're definitely in a tough spot.

With that said, all you can ask a team to do is to put themselves in a position to succeed.  As others have said they've already accomplished a lot more than anyone gave them credit for, so why not hope for the miracle?  If there's a team that can somehow make it happen, then this is it - maybe we'll just need to ask the Ghosts for a bit more help ;)

3 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

Time is our problem, but also probabilities.  As much as any other that I can think of, hockey is a sport where a weird lucky bounce can really shape a game.  So far in this series we haven't been getting the bounces.  Chariot's own goal off both his glove and stick comes to mind.  Last game when facing a 2-on-1 Carey made the save and kicked out the rebound hard, but then it ends up hitting the Tampa player's skate and bouncing back into the net.  These are the sorts of things that could happen to any team (just ask Fleury) but in this series they've been happening to us.

The point that I'm trying to make, though, is that this sort of unpredictability makes it really tough to win four games in a row.  Even if we're dominant, like we were in game 2, over the course of four games a bit of luck is bound to go against you at some point.  And it only takes once... so we're definitely in a tough spot.

With that said, all you can ask a team to do is to put themselves in a position to succeed.  As others have said they've already accomplished a lot more than anyone gave them credit for, so why not hope for the miracle?  If there's a team that can somehow make it happen, then this is it - maybe we'll just need to ask the Ghosts for a bit more help ;)

Exactly. And the bounces have been going against us in the series. Time for that to change. If we earn a win or two and have bounces go in our direction for a game, We've got a game 7. It starts tonight... Gotta step up, play loose and earn a win tonight and go from there! Gotta strike early!

Big Ted... I agree. I do not like what those changes indicate. Well... actually, I'm glad that it means that Gustafsson will most likely be out of the lineup. That is good news. And they might take Merrill out too. Those would be positives. But, as I've stated before, I really think that top line needs to be changed. Especially for this Tampa series. Toffoli doesn't fit well with Suzuki and Caufield. He could be used better on a different line. And when we get back to Tampa, That matchup of Point vs. this line is no good. If they put Gallagher with Suzuki and Caufield, I don't think they would have to worry about that as much. The move of Staal and Anderson on the second PP does not make sense to me. That is strange. It does not make me happy to think JK might be sitting out, but I do think Evans being inserted might be a positive. Although, just because JK wasn't on the PP doesn't mean he'll be out of lineup.... I guess it's the presence of Staal that doesn't make sense to me. In my opinion, he should be the first forward to come out of the lineup. And, again, I don't like that they are leaving the top unit intact. But maybe that's just for the PP.  We will see.

Go Habs Go!!