The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread

Your prediction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Cup?

Elliotte Friedman's on the radio ( AM590 )  : doesn't agree with JK sitting . If JK is a corner stone of the franchise he should be playing in a game like this and he should be p*ssed about it . 

Ducharme: "First, we wanted to put Evans with Byron and Lehkonen and didn't want to undo our duos of Danault-Gallagher, Caufield-Suzuki and the fourth line. On D, we wanted to bring in more dynamic skaters in Romanov and Kulak."

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-carey-price-has-hit-a-wall-along-with-all-his-teammates

What the Puck: Carey Price has hit a wall, along with all his teammatesMany say you can't criticize the Canadiens' Price but the reality is he has faltered in this Stanley Cup final.

56 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Elliotte Friedman's on the radio ( AM590 )  : doesn't agree with JK sitting . If JK is a corner stone of the franchise he should be playing in a game like this and he should be p*ssed about it . 

Ducharme: "First, we wanted to put Evans with Byron and Lehkonen and didn't want to undo our duos of Danault-Gallagher, Caufield-Suzuki and the fourth line. On D, we wanted to bring in more dynamic skaters in Romanov and Kulak."

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/what-the-puck-carey-price-has-hit-a-wall-along-with-all-his-teammates

What the Puck: Carey Price has hit a wall, along with all his teammatesMany say you can't criticize the Canadiens' Price but the reality is he has faltered in this Stanley Cup final.

KK 1g3a in last 10 PO games, -4
Staal 1g0a in last 10 PO games, -5

Really, there's zero justification for sitting KK over Staal

4 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

KK 1g3a in last 10 PO games, -4
Staal 1g0a in last 10 PO games, -5

Really, there's zero justification for sitting KK over Staal

I think KK would fit really well on a line with Armia and Perry too

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Makes 0 sense, same as not playing Romanov over Merril or Gustavson.

KK with Armia and Perry would be much better, KK is quicker, his stick is better and he is more physical. 

22 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Makes 0 sense, same as not playing Romanov over Merril or Gustavson.

KK with Armia and Perry would be much better, KK is quicker, his stick is better and he is more physical. 

This is obviously the lineup we will live or die with the rest of the year. Looks like KK's season is over, because i can't see him being put back in if we win tonight,,, unless somebody gets hurt.

3 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I wonder who Tuna pissed off.

There's been rumors he's hurt.  Not sure why he wouldnt be on the IR then but i guess if its a hand or something maybe they dont want the other team knowing in case he's forced into playing... either way, its odd.  Sure he didnt do much in the few games he played but neither did a lot of people, thats why we were nearly eliminated by the leafs. 

9 hours ago, habsisme said:

Agreed. I liked the lineup tonight, and no doubt JK hasn't looked great this series and for a lot of the playoffs (despite a few clutch plays), but neither has Staal, and JK has more upside of the two (and I think his skill with the hard-nosed wingers could work).

At this point I'm not sure I'd change much else. I get the desire for Tatar given he's been one of the more productive forwards in the regular season, but he's not exactly Connor McDavid and has had a habit of disappearing in the playoffs the last few years, so I'm not all that convinced he'd be an upgrade given how well our wingers are performing. If there was an obvious winger to replace, I'd swap him in, but I'm not convinced replacing Byron or Lehkonen or whoever with Tatar is going to move the needle.

The thing with KK is he has been a bit soft on some turnovers and we have no more margin right now! Stall has made one big one but all in all he is more reliable and once again this is the final and we have no room to let one more go. the best thing is we have moved Anderson up with Zuke and CC which I have wanted for a bit and we put in Romanov and Kulak I am no fan of Kulak but even he is better than Gus and Merrill have been.

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

The thing with KK is he has been a bit soft on some turnovers and we have no more margin right now! Stall has made one big one but all in all he is more reliable and once again this is the final and we have no room to let one more go. the best thing is we have moved Anderson up with Zuke and CC which I have wanted for a bit and we put in Romanov and Kulak I am no fan of Kulak but even he is better than Gus and Merrill have been.

100%.  No issues with Toffoli, who's been fine, but Anderson gives us three guys on the line with both speed and skill.  Plus, Suzuki is usually quick enough on the backcheck to make up for any defensive miscues.  I hope they keep this line together going into next year, since they're real fun to watch.

Re: the defense, I'm happy to see Romanov in but I can't figure out where I stand on Kulak.  He was at it again last night - played well for the most part, but when he messes up he really messes up.  Lots of unnecessary bobbles that can result in turnovers - sometimes in his own end - and his pinch that led to the goal against was obviously a bit rough.  I think I'd probably keep him in over the other two, but it's not a given.  He makes me a bit nervous whenever the puck goes towards him.

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If we could comeback and beat Toronto from a 3-1 deficit, why not Tampa too?

+1

They’re a more balanced team but we’ve shown that we can beat them in games 2 and 4. I remain hopeful for one last game in Montreal at least.

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

I can't figure out where I stand on Kulak.  He was at it again last night - played well for the most part, but when he messes up he really messes up.  Lots of unnecessary bobbles that can result in turnovers - sometimes in his own end - and his pinch that led to the goal against was obviously a bit rough.  I think I'd probably keep him in over the other two, but it's not a given.  He makes me a bit nervous whenever the puck goes towards him.

This is it in a nutshell i think.  Its why the coaches often prefer Merrill.  Its why Carey Price looked cautious every time Kulak skated by him with the puck.  He'll look like Jeff Petry for 3 shifts and then make an absolutely unnecessary boneheaded play.   Its why his advanced stats look good but the eye test says "watch out" 

That said, I think they can still work with it. At least compared with Merrill or even Gus. He has more potential upside.

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This is it in a nutshell i think.  Its why the coaches often prefer Merrill.  Its why Carey Price looked cautious every time Kulak skated by him with the puck.  He'll look like Jeff Petry for 3 shifts and then make an absolutely unnecessary boneheaded play.   Its why his advanced stats look good but the eye test says "watch out" 

That said, I think they can still work with it. At least compared with Merrill or even Gus. He has more potential upside.

I get what you guys are saying, but I thought he was good overall. He adds more to our team than he takes away in my opinion. Gus and merrill make more mistakes than him, imo. On that goal, yes, he does pinch, but I'm okay with being aggressive. Id rather have d-men step up. The bigger problems on that play was the turnover by toffoli and that the refs missed the interference call as maroon knocked him over after the turnover. Then, another contribution on the goal was that romanov could have played 2-1 better. Kulak also could have had a better play on his backcheck of maroon, but overall, I dont blame kulak on that goal.

By the way, the Refs were TERRIBLE!!

Glad we got the win... Go Habs Go!

14 minutes ago, jfcambell11 said:

I get what you guys are saying, but I thought he was good overall. He adds more to our team than he takes away in my opinion. Gus and merrill make more mistakes than him, imo. On that goal, yes, he does pinch, but I'm okay with being aggressive. Id rather have d-men step up. The bigger problems on that play was the turnover by toffoli and that the refs missed the interference call as maroon knocked him over after the turnover. Then, another contribution on the goal was that romanov could have played 2-1 better. Kulak also could have had a better play on his backcheck of maroon, but overall, I dont blame kulak on that goal.

I agree the interference on the play, that was what got me the most. I am not a Kulak fan, but he played much much better then Merril or Gustavson.

I am still shocked it took this long to get Romanov in. Blows my mind.

anyway 3 to go :)

36 minutes ago, jfcambell11 said:

He absolutely brings more to the table than Merrill.  Gus is frustrating because he has all-world offensive vision and the audacity to make plays most players wouldnt but he seems completely indifferent to learning to play sound defense.  Its probably too late now but if he had put in the development on the defensive side of his game earlier in his career he could easily be a top pairing dman imho but that ship has sailed. 

Id rank Kulak consistently above those 2 (although I understand why they wanted Gus in the lineup when the PP was struggling). 

19 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I agree the interference on the play, that was what got me the most. I am not a Kulak fan, but he played much much better then Merril or Gustavson.

It is mindboggling.  I understand there's a component of the mental game we are not privy to (for example, whether the sports psychologists felt he wasnt read etc) but on the ice he's easily one of our top 6 dmen so it should be no debate he is in the lineup when the games matter most. 

13 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

100% for this series we go with Kulak but going forward I would like him to be gone. if we could get a good solid young partner for Romanov who is solid on D and can skate and move the puck to replace Kulak that would one day become out top pairing and Webber Chiarot could move down the rotation during the regular season we would be in good shape as Petry and Edmundson would be our first pairing for a year or two yet. Merrill and Gus are just not up to snuff. as for the forwards i really like the line of Zuke CC and Anderson it is a real #1 line something we have not had in a long long time! for now the 4th line is good as a shutdown line but we will need to make some changes to the second and third lines to really be a strong team in the regular season. we have a lot of question marks! what is up with Drouin and Tater these are supposed to be blue chip offensive players for us and we could use what they bring when they are on point! KK is good but I am not sure if he is going to really be a top tier center or not he needs to get much better at faceoffs and he needs to be much stronger on the puck too, all this may come but it may not either. Gally looks gassed all the time not sure what is up there? I would keep Armia and Leky as they have proven to be very solid and last but not least Dano how much how long? what will he accept? does he still see himself as the #1 center? we could be a great team with a bit more tinkering but we could also go the other way if MB screws it up! One thing for sure I am proud of this bunch and what they have done to this point they deserve it they worked really hard to make it this far all of them even the ones I don't really like. Good on them!