The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mtl vs TB : Stanley Cup Finals Series Thread

Your prediction  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Cup?

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If we could comeback and beat Toronto from a 3-1 deficit, why not Tampa too?

I mean, TB is better than Toronto but point taken.

We dont have statistics and probability on our side but when you take it one game at a time, its a little more manageable. 

When we went down 3-0 I said that I thought we would win game 4.  I believe we will win game 6 if there is one... so the real key game is game 5.  Its the series. I KNOW the team is going to be motivated to bring this thing back to Montreal. 

At least they've made it interesting!

3 hours ago, jfcambell11 said:

I get what you guys are saying, but I thought he was good overall. He adds more to our team than he takes away in my opinion. Gus and merrill make more mistakes than him, imo. On that goal, yes, he does pinch, but I'm okay with being aggressive. Id rather have d-men step up. The bigger problems on that play was the turnover by toffoli and that the refs missed the interference call as maroon knocked him over after the turnover. Then, another contribution on the goal was that romanov could have played 2-1 better. Kulak also could have had a better play on his backcheck of maroon, but overall, I dont blame kulak on that goal.

By the way, the Refs were TERRIBLE!!

Glad we got the win... Go Habs Go!

I'm not totally against Kulak. I don't have a problem with a defenseman being aggressive. The thing is a good defenseman knows when to pinch or take a chance. We were up 2-1 late in the game in the neutral zone. That's not a smart time to pinch.  

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Kind of crazy how rabid some Laff's fans are! so many of them are cheering for the Bolts right now! I myself always cheer for any Canadian team if they make it to the final! even the Laffs.

Well, you don't have to worry about the laffs making it to the finals,,,,,,,, they have the Ballard curse. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Tampa 14 and zero in the playoffs after a loss .  

Then they're due for a loss. We can change that tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Kind of crazy how rabid some Laff's fans are! so many of them are cheering for the Bolts right now! I myself always cheer for any Canadian team if they make it to the final! even the Laffs.

41 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Well, you don't have to worry about the laffs making it to the finals,,,,,,,, they have the Ballard curse. :lol:

I wonder how many people on this board were even alive the last time the Laffs were in the finals? I sure wasnt.

16 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Tampa 14 and zero in the playoffs after a loss .  

As the team would say, that was then, this is now ;)  

I would cheer for any other Canadian team but them.

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Would you cheer for an American team over a Canadian team or just not bother? I am not a Laffs fan and I really hate Ottawa but I would still rather they win over a team like Tampa.

14 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Would you cheer for an American team over a Canadian team or just not bother? I am not a Laffs fan and I really hate Ottawa but I would still rather they win over a team like Tampa.

Im the same.  I dislike the leafs and their blowhard fans but I would rather their fanbase won than most american teams where most of them only really notice hockey if their team advances to the finals.  Not all leaf fans are jerks - some of my best friends actually like the leafs... i cant think of a single bruins fan i know that isnt an troll. 

I dont hate the leafs the same way i hate the bruins or the flyers or something.  

That said, this is all theoretical since the leafs have never even been close in my lifetime. :4224:

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I said I would cheer for any Canadian team over a U.S. team except Toronto. If Toronto was playing Tampa I wouldn’t cheer for Tampa but if they win I’d be more happy that Toronto didn’t. I don’t hate, say, the Bruins or Flyers more than I hate the Leafs (although they’re a close second) & it’s been mostly due to different Toronto fans I’ve known in my life.

3 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

ANYBODY but the Leafs. If you live in Leaf Nation,,, then no explanation is needed.

Here's an example,,,, Leaf fan that i know spotted me yesterday morning and ran into his garage to get a broom. Needless to say it was a dig at the Habs about being swept. Didn't want to hear about how we took his team down and certainly became invisible today after last nights win. Typical. He was the same moron that called me when his team went up 3 games to 1 so he could brag and boast. Once again, quickly disappeared after each loss they took from us after that. He's one of those guys that claim the Cup is in the bag after a pre season win.:rolleyes:

I realized the Habs' only real chance to beat Tampa is in OT.  It only takes a goal to win and the opponent won't be able to respond.  But to do that, the Habs have to score first and secure a 2 goal buffer to last until it goes to OT.  So the '3 goals = Habs win' formula still applies but only in OT against Tampa.

HABS are my favorite but I come from a border town "the Sault" So it depends on who the teams are. If it was Detroit I would cheer for Detroit 2nd to the HABs. Then mostly Canadian teams and the Black Hawks. Olympic though US then Canada then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

1 hour ago, PuckPundit said:

I realized the Habs' only real chance to beat Tampa is in OT.  It only takes a goal to win and the opponent won't be able to respond.  But to do that, the Habs have to score first and secure a 2 goal buffer to last until it goes to OT.  So the '3 goals = Habs win' formula still applies but only in OT against Tampa.

what-are-you-on-about.jpg

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

HABS are my favorite but I come from a border town "the Sault" So it depends on who the teams are. If it was Detroit I would cheer for Detroit 2nd to the HABs. Then mostly Canadian teams and the Black Hawks. Olympic though US then Canada then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

ya mean, it's not called "the Soo" anymore? :frech1:

Maybe I'm unpatriotic, but I usually don't support the Canadian teams just because they're Canadian.  I certainly wouldn't be cheering for the Leafs.  Generally I'll pick a team I like for some obscure reason (former Habs player, underdog, coach I like, it's fun watching them play, etc.), but more often than that there's a team that I don't like and I'm basically rooting against them.  This year, for example, I'd be cheering against Tampa regardless of who they were playing because of their cap shenanigans.  I was cheering for Edmonton and Calgary when they made their runs, mostly because of the underdog storylines.  I begrudgingly (and very half-heartedly) went for Vancouver, but only because they were against Boston.  My girlfriend at the time was a Canucks fan and she used to tease me mercilessly, so it was tough (we didn't last :lol:) - seeing those two teams in the final was basically my worst-case scenario that year.  I was pulling for Anaheim over Ottawa, mostly because I thought that their defense was so impressive that they deserved to win.

For what its worth...Nhl teams down 3-1 in a series came back (30) times to win it. "Just saying" I like those odds better .

21 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

For what its worth...Nhl teams down 3-1 in a series came back (30) times to win it. "Just saying" I like those odds better .

And the other thing that never gets mentioned is that from 1917 till 1986 only 2 teams (toronto & NYI) came back from 3-1 or 3-0.    

From 1987 onwards, teams have done it 28 times - and actually, in the last 20 years, its been done 15 times, including a few from our team. 

Its a lot more common now with all the parity - and thats not to mention all the best of 5 series that were played in the past (no chance at a 3-1 comeback)

I mean, we've already come back from 3-1 this year :lol:.  I think that has more relevance to our current team's chances than whatever was happening back in the 1930s or whatever.