Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What was the turning point in the Montreal Canadiens' series win over Las Vegas Golden Knights?


Round 3: Canadiens' Series Win Over Las Vegas Golden Knights  

16 members have voted

  1. 1. What was the turning point for the Canadiens' series win over Las Vegas Golden Knights?

    • Marc-Andre Fleury's stick handling blunder in Game 3
    • Chris Lee & Dan O'Rourke being taken off refereeing duties in the series
    • Peter DeBoer's decision not to play Robin Lehner in Game 5
    • Other (please specify)

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/28/2021 at 03:59 PM

Recommended Posts

For me, it was Peter DeBoer's decision NOT to play Robin Lehner in Game 5.  It's still puzzling why he replaced the goalie who just won him the previous game and went back to Fleury :7072:.  Statistically, it didn't make sense because Lehner let in less goals than Fleury against the Habs in regulation play and unlike Fleury, didn't concede any GWG.  Because we now know (in hindsight) that Lehner was always able to keep Vegas in play until OT and give them a chance to snatch sudden-death victory.  It was a tactical blunder which allowed the Habs to win Game 5 and carry the momentum to close the series with the psychological boost of putting Vegas on the brink of elimination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fleury blunder . They were 2 minutes from losing that game . If fleury doesn’t mess up they don’t replace him with lehner and we’re not talking about fleury or lehner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted "other" because I'm not sure that we actually had a turning point in this series.  Other than in game 3 (where we had what, like 3 shots in the first period that game?) and a few periods here and there, it felt like Montreal was the better of the two teams.  It's not what I expected going into the series, but there it is.

 

If I had to pick from the above options, Fleury's mistake would definitely be it.  After that blunder is when we came out and played a fantastic overtime period, and we really never looked back after that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

I voted "other" because I'm not sure that we actually had a turning point in this series.  Other than in game 3 (where we had what, like 3 shots in the first period that game?) and a few periods here and there, it felt like Montreal was the better of the two teams.  It's not what I expected going into the series, but there it is.

 

If I had to pick from the above options, Fleury's mistake would definitely be it.  After that blunder is when we came out and played a fantastic overtime period, and we really never looked back after that.

This. The turning point was between games 4 and 5 of the leafs' series.  From then, they've been a different team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

I voted "other" because I'm not sure that we actually had a turning point in this series.  Other than in game 3 (where we had what, like 3 shots in the first period that game?) and a few periods here and there, it felt like Montreal was the better of the two teams.  It's not what I expected going into the series, but there it is.

 

If I had to pick from the above options, Fleury's mistake would definitely be it.  After that blunder is when we came out and played a fantastic overtime period, and we really never looked back after that.

This. I don't see any turning point – we lost the first game, took the lead after game 3 and then never looked back really. I couldn't watch all games but based on what I saw, the Habs were the better team, just like against the Jets. Sure, Fleury's gaffe definitely helped but there were still like ~2 minutes left on the clock, who knows maybe we would've scored anyway? And even if we lost that game, we could have earned the split in the next one, so it doesn't really matter to me. It would also be pretty unfair to put LV losing this series squarely on Fleury's shoulders, I don't think that's what happened here at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

This. I don't see any turning point – we lost the first game, took the lead after game 3 and then never looked back really. I couldn't watch all games but based on what I saw, the Habs were the better team, just like against the Jets. Sure, Fleury's gaffe definitely helped but there were still like ~2 minutes left on the clock, who knows maybe we would've scored anyway? And even if we lost that game, we could have earned the split in the next one, so it doesn't really matter to me. It would also be pretty unfair to put LV losing this series squarely on Fleury's shoulders, I don't think that's what happened here at all.

There are gaffs in just about every game. I too didn't see Fleury's as a turning point. Stall made that gaff to the front of the net and we overcame it. We also overcame the horrific reffing. We need to give credit where credit is due. These guys can smell it.

FOUR MORE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

 We need to give credit where credit is due. These guys can smell it.

FOUR MORE

I LOVED when Carey & Shea were being interviewed last night & they were asked how they felt, getting further than they ever have, blah blah blah and they were both like "well we're not really thinking about that right now, we're staying focused and getting ready for our next series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was no turning point. The Canadiens were the better constructed hockey team going into the series and they played their game ignoring all the noise generated by wannabe GMs, analysts, and pundits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RCAF48 said:

There was no turning point. The Canadiens were the better constructed hockey team going into the series and they played their game ignoring all the noise generated by wannabe GMs, analysts, and pundits.

Yep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's easy to point to Fleury as the culprit for Vegas' demise but I'm more in the "other" camp of game 5 against the Leafs . That was the point at which this team played their best desperate hockey one game at a time with their backs against the wall ...fast forward they went  into a hostile environment against a rejuvenated and deep Vegas team tied 2-2 and won . This team has grown up during the play-offs . Their confidence is high and they don't quit , they don't feel sorry for themselves and they all saw Perry's face  get stitched up on a non-call and come right back into the game  ....think that rubbed off on Caufield , Suzuki and KK much ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

It's easy to point to Fleury as the culprit for Vegas' demise but I'm more in the "other" camp of game 5 against the Leafs .

PuckPundit's question / topic  is in the series win over Vegas  though.

If the question were more open minded and asked about the entire 2021  playoffs , so far, then I would look back at the 1st OT win against the Leafs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

PuckPundit's question / topic  is in the series win over Vegas  though.

If the question were more open minded and asked about the entire 2021  playoffs , so far, then I would look back at the 1st OT win against the Leafs

Yes ...I guess I was trying to say that the team would have won the series anyway despite Fleury's lapse because of their don't- give -up attitude and come-back when down 3-1 at the time .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was no turning point, yes we had a bad game and won, vegas also had a bad game and won, we were just a better team up and down the lineup, your forwards are meant to score and your dee is meant to defend and that is exactly what happened for us. Vegas however had things backwards their dee was scoring, forwards were not. And no won defending. Oh and did i mention our goalie outplayed both their goalies ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think we need to dispute that the Habs played well in general against a good team, but for me, the Fleury gaffe is as close to a turning point as you can pin-point. The Habs weren't overly threatening at the time it happened and I mostly believe that if MAF doesn't gift us that goal, we likely lose the game. At that point it becomes a question of whether the series plays out the same way, but if Game 4 goes the same way, we are going back to Vegas down 3-1 and I think that would have been deflating. Not to say we couldn't have come out of the hole, but I think at that point, we're making line-up changes and we're not on the same track we're on now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Question that will go unanswered because it didn’t happen. However just a topic to discuss while we wait. 

Was the turning point  of the Vegas series the fact we played Vegas & not Colorado?

 

Good point, although i honestly think we matched up even better against Colorado. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...