The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

July 7, Habs @ the bolts, 8 PM, Usual Media Places.

Winning goal  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which line get's the winner tonight?

• Nick's line
    • Dano's line
    • Staal's line
    • Evan's line
    • A D-man will get it

7 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Isn't that a little unfair considering Byron's critical GWG and assists in key moments of the playoff run?

You're free to make your own call. He had a couple of good moments, but overall he was one of the worst Habs in the playoffs. There were more nights where he was invisible or missed chances/assignments than where he was a noticeably good player.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

You're free to make your own call. He had a couple of good moments, but overall he was one of the worst Habs in the playoffs. There were more nights where he was invisible or missed chances/assignments than where he was a noticeably good player.

Yep so true. not sure he was any better than Tater could have been.

Tatar played 5 games - and was a non factor in those 5 games IMO 

Gustafson - I dunno , the guy is a give away machine it’s no wonder flyers parted ways with him

and I still don’t think Merrill was as bad as some say .  He’s a 5 ,6 , 7 d man im

not expecting offence out of him.

but those are my opinions 

9 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

YEAH Mediocre enough to get the SCF. I agree lets be blunt, Tampa is a better team but like most american teams they get a lot of breaks from the refs and they got to have star players that if the spirit of the rules were followed they would not have had. they beat us by one goal tonight who is to say what may have happened without those guys? not being able to score is the issue for sure Drouin being out Tater falling off a cliff really hurt us but for our team to do what it did was not all on Price until this series we were able to score we just ran out of talent and gas against this bunch

It's not just Tampa's star players that their cap situation impacts, either.  These last few games Montreal did a pretty good job stopping their top lines, but it was their depth that scored.  But how did they pay for that depth?  Using the cap space that they had available by not having to pay their stars.

Don't get me wrong - Tampa is the better team on paper, and Montreal's coaches made some decisions that I wouldn't have made.  But credit where credit is due: when you get within 3 wins of the cup you've done something right.  Montreal played three fantastic series, and with the exception of game 1 they weren't terribly overmatched by the Lightning, either.  There's always luck involved, but this wasn't a complete fluke or anything - Montreal played well, and should be proud of what they've accomplished.

I imagine TB won't have such an easy time finessing the cap next season. They're already listed as being about $4-5 million over the cap for next season and that's with only 11 forwards, 5 D, and 1 goaltender. Even adding three more roster players around league minimum is another $2.5-3 in cap.

I think they will try to move one of Johnson, Cirelli, or Killorn.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Price stood on his head. At the end of the day, this team couldn't generate goals. They scored less than 2 goals a game against Tampa, and it's hard to win a series when you can't score. They lost Drouin and despite that, they chose at times in this post-season to sit Caufield, Kotkaniemi, and Tatar. Then you had a number of guys who just failed to show up in the finals... first and foremost Brendan Gallagher, who must be hurt but who didn't help his team in any way regardless; Tyler Toffoli, who seemed to disappear as the post-season went along; Eric Staal, who didn't deserve to be out there in the finals; Jon Merrill, who was our worst player in the regular season and maintained that distinction in the playoffs. The bright spots were Suzuki, Caufield, Armia, Lehkonen, Edmundson, and Price.

My grades for the entire post-season:

- Price: A+

- Edmundson: A

- Petry: B

- Weber: B-

- Chiarot: B-

- Gustafsson: B-

- Romanov: C+

- Kulak: C-

- Merrill: F

- Suzuki: A

- Caufield: A

- Armia: A

- Lehkonen: A-

- Toffoli: B+

- Perry: B+

- Danault: B

- Kotkaniemi: B

- Anderson: B

- Evans: B-

- Tatar: B-

- Staal: C

- Byron: C-

- Gallagher: D

Agree with pretty much all of these.  Wonder how guys like Petry, Gallagher, Toffoli and Weber would score if they didnt have those injuries. 

My biggest worries after this run are:
- Mb will go 4-4-1 in the ED so he can protect his "big 4" which MMW will not work for a full 82 game season + playoffs
- Mb will try to resign Staal 
- Mb will trade JK for something underwhelming.  Dont get me wrong, no player is untouchable & if he's part of a package for a young superstar like Eichel, great but if we trade him 1 for 1 for Kuznetsov or something, im going to be something pissed. 

3 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

It's not just Tampa's star players that their cap situation impacts, either.  These last few games Montreal did a pretty good job stopping their top lines, but it was their depth that scored.  But how did they pay for that depth?  Using the cap space that they had available by not having to pay their stars.

Completely agree. They technically did nothing wrong but let's face it, they added a Vezina candidate at the deadline while keeping their entire roster intact. And even if the dude didn't win the trophy, they ended up with a guy who posted 32 points in 23 games. They exploited a loophole, doesn't mean everybody has to like it. Their Cap numbers during the playoffs were what, 25% above ours? Too lazy to look up the actual numbers because it doesn't matter but it has to be somewhere in that ballpark and that makes it pretty tough to win a series against them. The Islanders had similar things to say about that if I recall correctly.

4 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

Don't get me wrong - Tampa is the better team on paper, and Montreal's coaches made some decisions that I wouldn't have made.  But credit where credit is due: when you get within 3 wins of the cup you've done something right.  Montreal played three fantastic series, and with the exception of game 1 they weren't terribly overmatched by the Lightning, either.  There's always luck involved, but this wasn't a complete fluke or anything - Montreal played well, and should be proud of what they've accomplished.

For sure.  You basically have a team like the oilers or the leafs or the penguins - top heavy - or you have a team like the knights, the jets or us - depth-based.

Tampa has the best of both worlds. They have elite, highly paid players at the top end but they still have high quality players throughout the lineup which is something you are just unable to do in the salary cap era (unless you get hella lucky with elite rookies or something).  

Now, in fairness to them,  you could build a team like their's with smart cap management during the season and then a really aggressive trade-deadline where you get the opposition to eat 1/2 salary on pending UFAs you trade for... you could technically be $10-15m over the cap - but you'd be mortgaging your future for that dream run.  Tampa didn't have to do anything to have this non-cap-compliant team other than be creative with the doctor's notes. 

34 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Completely agree. They technically did nothing wrong but let's face it, they added a Vezina candidate at the deadline while keeping their entire roster intact. And even if the dude didn't win the trophy, they ended up with a guy who posted 32 points in 23 games. They exploited a loophole, doesn't mean everybody has to like it. Their Cap numbers during the playoffs were what, 25% above ours? Too lazy to look up the actual numbers because it doesn't matter but it has to be somewhere in that ballpark and that makes it pretty tough to win a series against them. The Islanders had similar things to say about that if I recall correctly.

Brain fart... I was thinking about the Conn Smythe of course :ph34r: