The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Is Our Next Head Coach For 2021-2022

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There's zero chance it's not DD. I think we'd be way better off with Bouchard, but the Habs aren't going to toss DD aside now.

I really like Bouchard but its tough to know if he'd make a good NHL coach. He's clearly an amazing developmental coach but im not sure how that translates to the top league. I also happen to love him in Laval.

I hope he stays for a while & i hope his communication & honesty - both tops of any coach we've had here for years - rub off on some of the other guys. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I really like Bouchard but its tough to know if he'd make a good NHL coach. He's clearly an amazing developmental coach but im not sure how that translates to the top league. I also happen to love him in Laval.

I hope he stays for a while & i hope his communication & honesty - both tops of any coach we've had here for years - rub off on some of the other guys. 

You never know. About any of them. But you look at some of the guys who have had success in the NHL like Jon Cooper and Bruce Boudreau and Sheldon Keefe and Jared Bednar and Barry Trotz are guys who made the jump from the AHL to head coaching gigs with little to no NHL exposure as coaches.

All in all, my biggest pet peeve with all the coaches hired under the Bergevin era are that they share the same old-school philosophy (or else abide by Bergevin's laws that this be in place). Veterans are overplayed and youngsters are judged very harshly. What I like about Bouchard is that he went into the AHL and really allowed guys to win their jobs based on merit. If you played well, you played more. If you were a young guy, you were given the opportunity to learn from experience instead of just ending up in the doghouse. With Therrien and Ducharme and Julien and Lefebvre, if you were a young guy and you made a mistake, you were almost never given a vote of confidence to get better, you were taught that you should have known better and you got penalized for it. Players were not put in roles that gave them the best chance to succeed, they were told they had to earn their stripes playing roles that didn't really suit their style of play.

Bouchard is a gamble in some respects in terms of being an unknown, and maybe he too will succumb to Bergevin's pressure or falter trying to save his own job at the NHL level, but thus far, he's shown more guts than the other coaches in the organization to generate a culture that supports younger players and rewards them based on the work they put in and the skill they have. Sure, Ducharme got lucky with his run playing on the back of Carey Price's outstanding performances, but I don't see a change in culture with him that's going to lead to longlasting results. With Bouchard, I have hope there could be something different and that we might be able to build an organization that can sustain success, the way a Boston or TB or Washington or Vegas has been able to for several years.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:03 AM, MuddyWaterMoose said:

To add to that. If not DD then who?

The only alternative that I could see is Richardson. Not saying it should be, seeing how we didn’t miss a beat with Ducharm out, and seeing how our strength through the postseason was our team defence (that being his department), a case could be made in his favour. But likely it’s Ducharm, and hopefully Richardson sticks around as assistant for a couple more seasons 

2 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

The only alternative that I could see is Richardson. Not saying it should be, seeing how we didn’t miss a beat with Ducharm out, and seeing how our strength through the postseason was our team defence (that being his department), a case could be made in his favour. But likely it’s Ducharm, and hopefully Richardson sticks around as assistant for a couple more seasons 

Not a chance in the current Canadiens organization.  If so, Larry Robinson would've gotten the job a long time ago.

The best Richardson can hope for is his 7-game interim gig during the playoffs caught the attention of other teams and will help him secure an official HC position in another team.

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

All in all, my biggest pet peeve with all the coaches hired under the Bergevin era are that they share the same old-school philosophy (or else abide by Bergevin's laws that this be in place). Veterans are overplayed and youngsters are judged very harshly. What I like about Bouchard is that he went into the AHL and really allowed guys to win their jobs based on merit. If you played well, you played more. If you were a young guy, you were given the opportunity to learn from experience instead of just ending up in the doghouse. With Therrien and Ducharme and Julien and Lefebvre, if you were a young guy and you made a mistake, you were almost never given a vote of confidence to get better, you were taught that you should have known better and you got penalized for it.

Im willing to give Ducharme the benefit of the doubt this year though.  

Last year was a mess, a whirlwind of shortened season, condensed schedule, first time HC reins and Covid issues.  Then we went into the playoffs & you cant really blame the guy for icing the team that he believe gives him a better chance to win. We can argue about those choices but i dont think its a kid vs vet issue at that point.  Sure we can say that dressing JK vs Staal isnt likely to make much of a difference against the lightning (and therefore, why not go with the guy who is actually going to be with us long term but if the coaches felt like at that moment Staal gave us a better chance to win then I can live with that decision, even though I dont necessarily agree with it. 

I do hope he makes different choices in a "regular" regular season and we shall soon find out, but right now I dont think we can fairly access what he's done until he's been given that benefit.