The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Coaching Staff, 2021-22

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The other telling thing tonight about Ducharme... RDS interviewed Mathieu Perreault in one of the intermissions and asked if the performance was better because of increased effort or because of adjustments in the game plan and system. Without hesitating, Perreault said "it's the effort, for sure it's the effort level that's gone up because the game plan is exactly the same as it's been for the first 4 games." And while I think Perreault meant that as a way of saying it was on the players to play better, it's quite alarming that the team started 0-4 and there was zero change in the game plan and zero adjustments from the coaching. No change to the strategy on special teams, no change to the transition game, no change to D zone coverage schemes, and so on. You'd think the normal thing to do if you went 0-4 would be to ask if the strategy you've devised is working well with the personnel you have. So it doesn't say much about Ducharme to tell his players "the coaches don't need to make adjustments, you guys just need to try harder."

I seriously question if this is a DD issue or a MB issue.  DD coached to keep his job and not to win, he is way too conservative.  Belize could have been inserted into the line up to add some fire, these vets are just not cutting it.  Or on the other hand is MB just signing players and painting DD into a corner as to what he can do with the players he has??  No amount of coaching is going to fix the lack of effort these players are putting on the ice, constant turn overs by Kulak, Hoffman, Toffoli and Wideman are amplifying the issue. 

25 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

I seriously question if this is a DD issue or a MB issue.  DD coached to keep his job and not to win, he is way too conservative. 

I’m sure he’s coaching to win . If he wants to keep his job he’s needs to win .  There’s only so much you can do with the players you are given . Also remember this team wouldn’t have made the playoffs 2 years ago if not for the extra play in round . And last year the squeaked in with the worst record in the league. Maybe they are not as good as we think or hoped they would be 

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I’m sure he’s coaching to win . If he wants to keep his job he’s needs to win .  There’s only so much you can do with the players you are given . Also remember this team wouldn’t have made the playoffs 2 years ago if not for the extra play in round . And last year the squeaked in with the worst record in the league. Maybe they are not as good as we think or hoped they would be 

They're definitely not that good. As you said, they failed to make the playoffs two years ago and got in on a technicality. Last year, they barely scraped in playing in an extremely weak division and then rode a wave of luck and Carey Price to the finals. Grant it, there were guys who played really well in the playoffs and they deserved their success, but it was a short period of peaking at the right time and having some things fall right. They were just as close to going out in 5 games in the 1st round.

As I said last year after the playoffs, that one run did not establish them as a Cup contender. It did not legitimize Bergevin's way of building the team. The goal for a GM should be to build a roster that can be a perennial top 5-7 team in the league so that they have a real shot at winning a Cup. Look at Tampa and Boston and Vegas and Washington. Look at SJ and Nashville from a few years ago. Look at Chicago and Pittsburgh before that. These teams had well-defined windows where they were clearly elite for several years in a row. Not all of them went on to win Cups, but they put themselves in a position to get there under their own control. Bergevin hasn't done that. As Brian Wilde said after last night's game, Bergevin has never and will never understand the way to shape a defence in the modern game and recognize the value of puck-moving defencemen and as such, he will never build a perennial championship contender. As long as he continues to build the D in the manner in which he himself played, we can sign as many scoring wingers as we want, but they won't have success if no one can get them the puck with speed and motion on the rush and if no one can set them up in the slot or get shots on net to create rebounds/screens/tips. Goalies today are big and adept at stopping shots they see. The way you score is to make sure they can't see pucks or to get them moving laterally vid puck movement or odd-man rushes.

The fact of he matter is this staff is not preparing this team right there is no visible game plan there seems to be no cohesion or confidence. A team that is well prepared may not win but it won't look lost on the ice! as it stands now we should just refuse power plays as all they seem to do is deflate the team and as for the defence at least last night the concept of using a puck mover with a stay at home type was used it did not work well because we have mostly crappy D men but at least the concept was sound! why did it take until the 5th game after 4 losses? WTH is going on here! the GM is just letting things go it seems.........

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Don Macpherson of the Gazette tweeting that Ducharme's record in the regular season is now a .430 winning percentage, which is lower than the .450 winning percentage Randy Cunneyworth had when he was run out of town and the French media blamed it on his being English. Time to admit that Ducharme just isn't a great coach. And before you tell me about how he snuck into the playoffs in a weak division and then rode Carey Price to a finals appearance, I'll remind you that Jacques Demers was canned for starting 0-4 just two years after winning a Cup.

Yeah you have to wonder how much of our playoff run was coaching & how much was simply guys like Price, Weber, Edmundson, Caufield, Suzuki etc stepping up their games. 

We had some luck, and the toughest challenge (that we overcame) was the Knights - and that was actually Richardson who got us through that series... 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah you have to wonder how much of our playoff run was coaching & how much was simply guys like Price, Weber, Edmundson, Caufield, Suzuki etc stepping up their games. 

We had some luck, and the toughest challenge (that we overcame) was the Knights - and that was actually Richardson who got us through that series... 

Yep! Douche is looking like a wash......

• 2 weeks later...

I like Ducharme, i think he seems like a thoughtful fellow, but he is waaaay over his head.  Last night we were beaten by a team that played the simplest possible defence imaginable. They boxed us out all night, like were on the PP on 5 on 5.  (makes sense since we are abysmal on the PP).  Instead of adapting or changing things up we just kept coming, and failing, wave after way.  They practically announced they were just going to look for 2 on 1s all night.  The fact DD could not even adapt a little, over the courst of 60 minutes tells us all we need to know: he isnt ready to be a head coach.  

Chicago set to fire Jeremy Colliton after a start with just 4 pts in 12 games. Habs have 6 pts in 12 games, so a fairly comparable record. Colliton's been around longer but does have a better winning percentage as a coach than Ducharme.

29 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Chicago set to fire Jeremy Colliton after a start with just 4 pts in 12 games. Habs have 6 pts in 12 games, so a fairly comparable record. Colliton's been around longer but does have a better winning percentage as a coach than Ducharme.

He has been fired. Question for us is will MB get axed at the same time as DD?

45 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

He has been fired. Question for us is will MB get axed at the same time as DD?

I think Molson has been drinking the Koolaid too long. I think MB will simply say "Geoff old pal, you just couldnt foresee Weber and Price and Edmundson and the offer sheet etc etc etc"   But of course we could foresee some of that.  Weber's diagnosis came at the very start of the offseason. Several Marquee dmen were traded after that.  But this is all old news. Molson just seems to buy into it... but for how long? 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think Molson has been drinking the Koolaid too long. I think MB will simply say "Geoff old pal, you just couldnt foresee Weber and Price and Edmundson and the offer sheet etc etc etc"   But of course we could foresee some of that.  Weber's diagnosis came at the very start of the offseason. Several Marquee dmen were traded after that.  But this is all old news. Molson just seems to buy into it... but for how long? 

All very foreseeable. You look back at comments from the off-season and most experts picked the Habs to miss the playoffs or just barely sneak in. Nobody saw them as a dominant team just because they had gone to the Cup finals. As you said, everyone in the organization seemed to know Weber was done at the end of the playoffs. Drouin has already said the players know he's retired. The guys at the end of the post-season went and saluted him after the last game. We all knew Price was injured and while they didn't predict his need for the player assistance program, maybe they knew something was possible. Danault said he knew early into last season that he wouldn't be coming back to Montreal, so Bergevin had to get that hint. He himself already seemed to know he wasn't interested in re-signing Tatar. There was writing on the wall for most of this.

So where did Bergevin go wrong?

1. I think he once again over-evaluated the strength of his team. I think he believed they were as good as their playoff run last year, not as bad as their regular season.

2. He's publicly stated several times that he sees Savard and Weber as comparable players, just as he saw Streit as an adequate replacement for Markov. He seems to have thought Evans was an adequate replacement for Kotkaniemi. So again, he seems to have not only overrated the roster he had last year but the substitutions he foresaw going into this season.

3. I'm not sure he recognizes how bad he is at building defence corps, but if he does, then he also overestimated the value of building your team's strength at wing (the least important position) and the thinking that being strong at wing could overcome being weak at center and on D. You look at 90%+ of Cup winners and they're strong at top 6 center and they have a top D man who can play 25+ minutes a night. Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang. Toews and Keith. Kopitar, Carter, and Doughty. Bergeron and Chara. Stamkos and Hedman. Doesn't mean you can't have strength at wing as well (Ovechkin, Kane, etc.) but you can't be weak at those other key positions. Washington still had Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Eller down the middle and they still had Carlson on the back end. Not every Cup winner has a great goalie, not everyone has strength at wing. But they almost all have elite talent at center and D. In that regard, I have questions about how MB has built this team outside in. Today, we lined up Evans as our 2C. It's not a winning element. We lined up Chiarot, Kulak, and Savard in our top 4. That won't cut it. We had Chiarot on our PP. Just not something you'll see on a good team. Definite problems with roster composition here.

All that to say that I just don't see how/why Bergevin and Ducharme should keep their jobs. It's been a disaster from the top of the organization down so far this year and has been for a while now. Again I put up data a while ago and we've had really one good season in the past 5-6 years.