The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/the-habs-cut-19-players-from-training-camp-to-join-laval-rocket-1.5607349

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens once again shortened the roster at their training camp on Friday.

Nineteen players were dealt to the Laval Rocket of the American Hockey League (AHL) for that club's training camp.

The players with NHL contracts include forwards Cam Hillis, Arsen Khisamutdinov and Joel Teasdale, as well as defensemen Louie Belpedio, Josh Brook and Xavier Ouellet.

Belpedio and Ouellet will only be able to join the Laval club if they are not claimed in the lottery later today.

Among the players cut with AHL contracts are forwards Peter Abbandonato, Cedric Desruisseaux, Justin Ducharme, Brandon Gignac, Jake Lucchini, Shawn St-Amant and Kevin Roy, defencemen Terrance Amorosa, Charles-David Beaudoin, Tory Dello, Cody Goloubef and Carl Neill, as well as goaltender Alexis Gravel.

After four days of practice in Brossard, the Tricolore will play their third and fourth pre-season games this weekend against the Ottawa Senators.

The Habs will travel to Ottawa on Friday night, then the Sens will come to the Bell Centre on Saturday.

The CH will be looking for a second straight win after defeating the Toronto Maple Leafs at home on Monday.

At his Thursday news conference, head coach Dominique Ducharme said that essentially the same group of players that played the Leafs on Monday will be in Ottawa to face the Sens. However, Finnish defenceman Sami Niku could make his debut.

Ducharme will confirm his lineup for tonight's game later on Friday.

Bergevin Using His Leverage Against Canadiens

It was reported this week that the Canadiens offered Bergevin a contract extension, one he has yet to accept. As per Eric Engels of Sportsnet, Bergevin holds the leverage as he enters the final year of his contract and his intentions seem to be to use every bit of that leverage to get the deal he wants. Engels suggests that if his asking price isn’t met, he could be willing to walk.

There is a sense that perhaps Bergevin would like to make a change. Reports are that he’s been talking to owner Geoff Molson on a regular basis but that the GM is still considering looking at options in the US. He has family there, including his kids.

A number of players on waivers today including Noah Juulsen in Florida... Habs have a hole at 3rd RHD with Brook and Weber out. They have Wideman and Niku who could both fill in there, as well as Romanov and Chiarot, but in practice all except Wideman are lefties who are better on the left side of the ice. Would Juulsen be a cut above Wideman or is Wideman better? Is there any value in bringing back a guy who knows the organization and who never really established himself primarily because of injuries? There's an opening for him now if they still felt he had the pedigree...

Said it months ago and have been saying it for years, but the Habs' defence is going to be their downfall again. Petry is the lone bright spot, but based on what we've seen so far at camp

- Chiarot looks to be his usual overrated self

- Savard has been very ordinary and certainly doesn't look like he's any more of a top 4 defenceman than Chiarot or Edmundson

- Romanov hasn't taken much of a jump up in his level of play

- None of Wideman, Niku, or Kulak has stepped up to win the last regular spot

- Norlinder hasn't wowed us. He was the one wildcard who could have changed the makeup of the D, and he likely won't make the team.

- Guhle has been solid but largely unremarkable. He's been commended for keeping it simple and not making mistakes, but he's also not providing the D with what it's missing: a slick puck-moving, offence-generating top 3 defenceman.

So I don't know where this is going, but it largely looks like we're going to run this season with mainly bigger slower D men with little to no offensive talent. Not quite clear how the team is going to overcome that.

33 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Said it months ago and have been saying it for years, but the Habs' defence is going to be their downfall again. Petry is the lone bright spot, but based on what we've seen so far at camp

- Savard has been very ordinary and certainly doesn't look like he's any more of a top 4 defenceman than Chiarot or Edmundson

- Norlinder hasn't wowed us. He was the one wildcard who could have changed the makeup of the D, and he likely won't make the team.

- Guhle has been solid but largely unremarkable. He's been commended for keeping it simple and not making mistakes, but he's also not providing the D with what it's missing: a slick puck-moving, offence-generating top 3 defenceman.

So I don't know where this is going, but it largely looks like we're going to run this season with mainly bigger slower D men with little to no offensive talent. Not quite clear how the team is going to overcome that.

Sadly,  you are not wrong. And now it looks like Niku may be hurt? They may end up keeping guys out of turn just for the warm bodies. This defense problem has been an issue for generations.  We might have to put a claim in for Juulsen, or some other body.  Fleury?

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

A number of players on waivers today including Noah Juulsen in Florida... Habs have a hole at 3rd RHD with Brook and Weber out. They have Wideman and Niku who could both fill in there, as well as Romanov and Chiarot, but in practice all except Wideman are lefties who are better on the left side of the ice. Would Juulsen be a cut above Wideman or is Wideman better? Is there any value in bringing back a guy who knows the organization and who never really established himself primarily because of injuries? There's an opening for him now if they still felt he had the pedigree...

Id take back Juulsen in a heartbeat.  There was a patch before that career-changing game when he took the 2 pucks to the face, for a while he looked like a legit top 4 dman. I am not sure if he can get back on track but i think he'd immediately be one of our top 3 RHD and what harm is there in claiming him? we might lose Wideman on waivers? oh no. lol. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yup.  1 top pairing Dman.  Then 6 or 7 #4-6 dmen. We are completely lacking 2 guys who are legit top 3s.  I think you can get away with one of them (Ed most likely) next to Petry.  I think that a healthy Weber (which we havent seen for a couple of years and may not see ever again) can also take one of those guys and make a pairing.  But now? With just Petry?  We're going to be in tough. A pairing of Savard - Chiarot is going to be a tire fire. 

5 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Montreal claimed goaltender Montembault off waivers. This makes perfect sense since they NEED a top 4 Puck moving D man and not a 3rd string goalie but same difference LMAO

Hey man, o remember really liking Montenbault in his draft year, and goalies take forever to develop, so who knows, could be a great pick up. And besides, not like there are a lot of top 4 D men on waivers at the moment (lol or ever)

23 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Hey man, o remember really liking Montenbault in his draft year, and goalies take forever to develop, so who knows, could be a great pick up. And besides, not like there are a lot of top 4 D men on waivers at the moment (lol or ever)

Was just poking fun at how the organization views the team right now. I don't really mind having a 3rd goalie in case of injuries. Although why wouldn't we claim Juulsen as well (or is there a limit to claims) I know he is not a top 4 PMD but he would at the very least push Wideman and Niku for a spot.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Was just poking fun at how the organization views the team right now. I don't really mind having a 3rd goalie in case of injuries. Although why wouldn't we claim Juulsen as well (or is there a limit to claims) I know he is not a top 4 PMD but he would at the very least push Wideman and Niku for a spot.

Ahha I get ya. And yeah, I don’t know, wouldn’t be the worst idea. 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

So , price is going to be out longer than originally thought 🤣🤦‍♂️

Or Primeau backing up Jake Allen is viewed as still needing development as Cayden hasn’t looked too good in a few recent starts - maybe he starts tonight? 

20 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed- Savard looks like one of those political appease the Francophone fans needing to see francophone players. I’ve never been high on him and think he’s overrated. I hope he’s not another Alzner. 
Romanov - I feel confident he will elevate his game but not to the degree that he and Petry can carry Ed’s, Chiarot, Savard, and Kulak/Wideman/Niku to a high or even moderate performing defense. 
There’s going to be pressure on our forwards to score goals and our goalies to compensate 

15 minutes ago, claremont said:

Agreed- Savard looks like one of those political appease the Francophone fans needing to see francophone players. I’ve never been high on him and think he’s overrated. I hope he’s not another Alzner. 
Romanov - I feel confident he will elevate his game but not to the degree that he and Petry can carry Ed’s, Chiarot, Savard, and Kulak/Wideman/Niku to a high or even moderate performing defense. 
There’s going to be pressure on our forwards to score goals and our goalies to compensate 

Oh I don’t know, Savard was a pretty hot commodity just this past trade deadline, and was one of the top defensmen available this past FA. Whether or not it works out is yet to be seen, but I think his being French had less to do with it than it probably appears 

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Montreal claimed goaltender Montembault off waivers. This makes perfect sense since they NEED a top 4 Puck moving D man and not a 3rd string goalie but same difference LMAO

Why?  Again, Why?

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

So who was the top 4 puck moving d man on waivers?

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Price is going to be out longer than they thought . Primeau hasn’t looked like an NHL goalie 

So he will be the backup?  Cause they have to keep him on the roster, or lose him back to Florida.

6 minutes ago, electron58 said:

So he will be the backup?  Cause they have to keep him on the roster, or lose him back to Florida.

An article said that this move suggests that price will

not be ready and the organization does not have confidence in primeau or mcniven . The new guy ‘s stats are not very impressive . 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

An article said that this move suggests that price will

not be ready and the organization does not have confidence in primeau or mcniven . The new guy ‘s stats are not very impressive . 

Must make you wonder,  what are they thinking?